Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Questions about mcii, i had both tires changed at the same time. I've put in 3629 miles, the front has 4/32 tread life, the rear has 8/32 tread left. From what I have found these tires start at 9/32 tread, based on the current rate i expect to change my front at 5080 mi, on my rear I expect to change it at 25,403 mi, or 4-5 front tires for one rear tire. I run my tires at 40 psi on my 96 800. Is there something that I am doing wrong. Depth was measured using a tread gauge.

·
Registered
415 Posts
That may be too much air for the front tire, i'm not familiar with 800's but on my 900 and now my 1700 i run 32-33 in the front, and about 38 in the rear, don't forget hot temps will beef them up....ride on....

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I think going to 40 psi on the front is a bit high, I think I would use 35 or less on the front and you are right, 4-5 front tires for one rear tire, I would say 3 rear tire changes to every 1 front change

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have a 900 custom with skinny front tire. My MCII front tire also wore out much faster than the rear tire, kawi recomended 40psi. I just chalked it up due to the fact I ride a lot of twisty mountain roads that puts a lot more stress on the front tire than meandering back roads.

Gun4u2, what is your typical riding, got we wondering about the front tire life.

WB

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 900 custom with skinny front tire. My MCII front tire also wore out much faster than the rear tire, kawi recomended 40psi. I just chalked it up due to the fact I ride a lot of twisty mountain roads that puts a lot more stress on the front tire than meandering back roads.

Gun4u2, what is your typical riding, got we wondering about the front tire life.

WB

I would say my riding is not too aggressive, do twisties a few times a year. Mostly riding for commuting about 10-15 mi one way into NYC.
On a recent measurement the avg tread depth left was 2.4mm on front tire, 5685 miles on the tire. 1.4mm left before needing new tires.
Rear Tire 6mm left.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I have Michelin Commander II's, I went with 33.5 psi Front and 36.5 Rear, I love my new NAPA metal tire gauge, I'm not buying any more off ebay

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just bought a 2012 Vulcan 1700 nomad. I came from a royal star venture and am use to getting 19,000 out of back tire and 23,000 out of the front. Even though I change both tires at the same time I ride about 25-30 thousand miles a year. I see that some are saying they are only getting 6,000-7,000 mile out of the front tire. Is this correct for most people? Hope not or I will be changing front tires every 6 weeks. What do most run brand wise and will a 150/90/16 fit on the front verses the 130

·
Registered
457 Posts
I just bought a 2012 Vulcan 1700 nomad. I came from a royal star venture and am use to getting 19,000 out of back tire and 23,000 out of the front. Even though I change both tires at the same time I ride about 25-30 thousand miles a year. I see that some are saying they are only getting 6,000-7,000 mile out of the front tire. Is this correct for most people? Hope not or I will be changing front tires every 6 weeks. What do most run brand wise and will a 150/90/16 fit on the front verses the 130
Most riders are reporting the same mileages you said you got with the your Venture. That's with the MC II's . Other brands a bit lower. I'm running Avon Cobra's this time and am expecting to be somewhere in the 15 to 20 thousand range when I change them out again. Manufacturers recommended pressure is 40 front and 42 rear on my tires.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts