Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
I've not experienced it... But then I took the view that for driving lights, I don't need to spend top dollar, so Chinese knock-offs are OK. Headlight on the other hand, is fairly important. If that goes out on me on a dark & very wet night like my cheap Chinese aftermarket LED H4 bulb did over Easter weekend 2014... miles from civilization... (I could tell quite a story there, but it's enough to say I learned my lesson)... When that happens - you're pretty much screwed.

So for my final and lasting LED headlight upgrade - I spent my money on quality!

JW Speaker.

Reactions: VLR20777

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've not experienced it... But then I took the view that for driving lights, I don't need to spend top dollar, so Chinese knock-offs are OK. Headlight on the other hand, is fairly important. If that goes out on me on a dark & very wet night like my cheap Chinese aftermarket LED H4 bulb did over Easter weekend 2014... miles from civilization... (I could tell quite a story there, but it's enough to say I learned my lesson)... When that happens - you're pretty much screwed.

So for my final and lasting LED headlight upgrade - I spent my money on quality!

JW Speaker.
Same thing could happen with a stock bulb.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Same thing could happen with a stock bulb.
Yep... But the stock bulb just isn't as cool as LED. My point was that H4 bulbs, whether LED or stock, are simply nowhere near as robust as something like JW Speaker's 8700 Evo unit.

That H4 LED went all flickery on a dark wet night - after I'd high-sided the bike in the middle of nowhere and put my passenger several hours in a hospital. We had a 2 hour run to get back to the accommodation where we'd left all our luggage, on a damaged bike, with my passenger in some considerable pain sitting behind me (which she wasn't shy to mention over the intercom)

With that in hindsight... I bought a quality replacement headlight, and very much hope I never end up in that situation again.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts