Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. So Every motorcycle I have owned I lowered with progressive shocks. Has anyone here lowered the rear of thier 1700. If yes, how does it ride compared to stock. I always found it to be a much harder ride but, it looks cool. So I can not make the ride less cushy because there would be no forgiveness from Mrs. But, I would like to make the Nomad 1/2 inch lower in rear. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Progressive should be able to tell you all you want to know about ride heights. Lowering a bike doesn't make a bike softer or firmer....the spring you choose does. As far as I'm concerned always go with a firmer 2 - up spring (HD)....the stock ride is way too soft.
Also...replace the fork springs with progressive's that tighten up quicker. A firmer ride always makes your bike handle light years better than stock. have set up many bikes this way.......no comparison to stock......the bikes are alot more fun to ride. You don't get the front end dive and wallow in the rear...not to mention no more bottoming out. And you can kick some butt in the corners. (for a V-Twin) Hope this helps.

·
Registered
419 Posts
O.k. I want to go with the 430s but no body sells them with the spacers. Where can I get them. I saw somewhere that a guy has the 430. Any Ideas?
I'd call Scootworks and tell them you want the lower kit (spacers) but with 430 shocks. Or you could try here: http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PROG-430 and make the spacers yourself. Or just ask Scootworks if they'd sell you just the spacer. Call Progressive also they may have a kit already, the 412 shocks I got had a bunch of spacers included with the shocks, it's just that none of the spacers from Progressive fit the Voyager.

Google Progressive 430 shocks for a lot of other venders.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I changed out the stock shocks on my Nomad for the Progressive 430-4258B which they recommend for the Voyager. It's a 13" length so drops about an inch. The travel is only 1.9", but I think they ride really well with a 1-turn adjustment. Haven't tried it 2-up yet, but I love the handling with the bike lowered.

I read elsewhere in a forum recommending the 430-4219B, which Progressive says is for the Honda VTX (12.5" and softer spring). They were out of stock when I ordered so when I got tired of waiting, I changed the order. No complaints so far.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I changed out the stock shocks on my Nomad for the Progressive 430-4258B which they recommend for the Voyager. It's a 13" length so drops about an inch. The travel is only 1.9", but I think they ride really well with a 1-turn adjustment. Haven't tried it 2-up yet, but I love the handling with the bike lowered.

I read elsewhere in a forum recommending the 430-4219B, which Progressive says is for the Honda VTX (12.5" and softer spring). They were out of stock when I ordered so when I got tired of waiting, I changed the order. No complaints so far.
So, i ordered the 430 on ebay. Did your 4258b come with spacers. I ordered the 219b. I hope they ride smooth. After reading a few posts and thinking about it I am looking forward to being flat footed on ground and a little less top heavy. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Did your 4258b come with spacers. I ordered the 219b. I hope they ride smooth.
Yep, the 4258B came with spacers and I was able to change them out using a motorcycle jack in about an hour. I also bought a torque wrench for the job since I figured those are pretty important bolts to get tightened right. I don't know if the spacers come with all the shocks, but Progressive has the right kit available.

Let me know how you like the 4219B. I still wonder if they would have been a better choice but like I said, no complaints.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, the 4258B came with spacers and I was able to change them out using a motorcycle jack in about an hour. I also bought a torque wrench for the job since I figured those are pretty important bolts to get tightened right. I don't know if the spacers come with all the shocks, but Progressive has the right kit available.

Let me know how you like the 4219B. I still wonder if they would have been a better choice but like I said, no complaints.
I should get them over weekend, I will post a review after my ride to Niagara Falls Aug 28. Should be a good 1200 mile test. Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts