Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have found the need to adjust my rear shock preload, and being that this is a used bike, the previous owner seemed to want to hold onto those pieces.

I can get the tools online, but I'm looking at something like $15 per 'spanner' to turn the shock. I could just take it to the local dealer to sort it out (likely for cheaper).

That said, I don't like going to the dealer when I don't have to. Does anyone know of a different way to adjust the preload (up) without the tools? Are non-kawi tools available at autozone or the like that would work just as well? (same design, not name brand, for example)

·
Registered
72 Posts
My 07 Classic came with no tools also.
I adjust my rear shock up or down with a big pair of channel lock pliers and it is very easy to do.
You can get a pair of pliers like this at Harbor Freight for cheap and use them for other projests also!

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Well, I have found the need to adjust my rear shock preload, and being that this is a used bike, the previous owner seemed to want to hold onto those pieces.

I can get the tools online, but I'm looking at something like $15 per 'spanner' to turn the shock. I could just take it to the local dealer to sort it out (likely for cheaper).

That said, I don't like going to the dealer when I don't have to. Does anyone know of a different way to adjust the preload (up) without the tools? Are non-kawi tools available at autozone or the like that would work just as well? (same design, not name brand, for example)
Spanner wrenches of various sizes are available at most large tool shops. Shop around, you'll find what you need.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Spanner wrenches of various sizes are available at most large tool shops. Shop around, you'll find what you need.
+1. A generic spanner wrench will probably be much cheaper than a "Kawasaki Preload Adjustment Tool" which is probably the same thing. I priced tool kits at one time (I'm sure the PO took the tool kit out and set it on a shelf somewhere), insanely expensive. I can get all of those tools (better quality Craftsman or Stanley, to boot) for far less and still fit them in the toolkit.

I think I happened to notice one time that my wifes bikes toolkit was like $80? Just crazy. It's a phillips screwdriver, flathead screwdriver, an allen wrench that fits the seat, a small open ended wrench; and that's it. Doesn't even include the preload adjustment tool (or the Honda Flashlight they used to include). We bought it new so we have the tool kit, but still. Crazy what they charge for these things.

If I was gonna spend that much I'd get a nice roll-up mechanics tool pouch. With common socket sizes, small socket wrench, box wrenches, crescent wrench, pliers, various sealants and solvents, etc.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Anything would be better than the OEM tool. The first time I went to lighten the setting, the wrench bent out of shape before anything moved. They're just stamped steel, not hardened at all.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a relief! I'm gonna try the channel lock pliers this morning, and if that doesn't seem to budge it, I'll be shopping around as you suggest.

I don't know much about spanners. There are various sizes - which size would I need to adjust the preload?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts