Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to riding and certainly new to my bike. I am also an 'intellectual' (By Bill Cosby definition: Someone that studies something that others know naturally.) So, I actually got to know MOM (Motorcycle Owner's Manual).

I was reading about the rear shock absorber and noticed that it comes from the factory set to 4. (I got my 2010 'new', no miles) They state that this is what it should be for a 150lb. rider and nothing else. Well, I am 260 lbs. I don't want to create problems for myself, so I am wondering what to set this to. MOM is unclear about it, just saying that going up in value is a stronger shock. So, assuming that 7 is reserved for a fully loaded bike (at ~400lbs.) and 4 is for 150lbs., I can't make the math work. If I divide evenly that would mean a setting of 1 is for a helium balloon. the only other solution I have is that the numbers are on a logrithimic scale.

I have not really taken the bike out of my neighborhood, yet, so I don't know what kind of ride I really have on streets that might actually have some bumps. I just don't want a fender rubbing my tire or something.

Recommendations would be great. Also, what are some problems that I could start seeing if this isn't set correctly, so that I know?

Thanks,
otis

·
Registered
988 Posts
Shocking!

Well, I was reading thru another post about a guy 6'2", 345lbs with a 900, and I run 6', 300lbs on a 900C. I live in northwestern Canada, crappy roads, and set my shock up to max. It is a bit stiff, but will still bottom out on a hard bump (no luggage, solo saddle). On the factory setting, it will bottom out on a smooth road.. It is not hard to change the shock setting, take the weight off the rear wheel (couple of blocks under the frame, pull the side cover off and use one of those band style adjustable oil filter wrenches to move the adjuster up a couple of clicks. You may have to play with it a bit, but 6 would probably work for a slim 260....:D I wish that there was a damping adjustment on the shocks like there is on the V2K. I find it is more about the reaction to the bump than the stiffness of the suspension, no double entendre intended..

·
Registered
658 Posts
I run about 270 lbs and I run the shock at 6 The ride is a little firm, but I like it there. There is no "right" answer, as long as you are not bottoming out, your butt is the real judge.

I am new to riding and certainly new to my bike. I am also an 'intellectual' (By Bill Cosby definition: Someone that studies something that others know naturally.) So, I actually got to know MOM (Motorcycle Owner's Manual).

I was reading about the rear shock absorber and noticed that it comes from the factory set to 4. (I got my 2010 'new', no miles) They state that this is what it should be for a 150lb. rider and nothing else. Well, I am 260 lbs. I don't want to create problems for myself, so I am wondering what to set this to. MOM is unclear about it, just saying that going up in value is a stronger shock. So, assuming that 7 is reserved for a fully loaded bike (at ~400lbs.) and 4 is for 150lbs., I can't make the math work. If I divide evenly that would mean a setting of 1 is for a helium balloon. the only other solution I have is that the numbers are on a logrithimic scale.

I have not really taken the bike out of my neighborhood, yet, so I don't know what kind of ride I really have on streets that might actually have some bumps. I just don't want a fender rubbing my tire or something.

Recommendations would be great. Also, what are some problems that I could start seeing if this isn't set correctly, so that I know?

Thanks,
otis

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
I weigh about 185 lbs. My wife goes about 85 lbs.
Should I adjust from the original settings?
I mostly ride solo, but we do ride 2-up sometimes.

Thanks,
Rod

·
Registered
851 Posts
I come in at about 190lbs and the wife at about 115lbs, I set it up to 6 and left it there because for me it rides alot smoother over the bumps.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have my shock set at 5 and rear tire pressure at 40 psi. Two up, we are over 400 pounds. To me, this set up is a touch too stiff. Get a lot of impact harshness when I first hit the bump; feel every ant running across the road under the rear tire. But at this setting two up, she handles the twisties wonderfully; no big understeer, rotates through the center of the corner well on throttle, little squirrly in the wet. I'm going to play with tire pressure and lowering the shock down to 4 and see if ride comfort improves.

·
Registered
658 Posts
:D you guys are brave posting your wives and girlfriends weight... :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No weighty problems

I am finishing up my second divorce, so I don't have such weighty problems as passenger size. I intend to keep it that way for a while. I think this bike is going to be my girlfriend for a while. Looking through mods, attachments, accessories, and blah, blah, blah, it looks as though I am going to be spending the same amount of money... Well, maybe a little less because wrenches are much cheaper than lawyers. :) (She takes up the ENTIRE bed, though...)

My intention is to take a trip out to the Pacific in about 2014. My biggest concern is losing a couple (dozen) pounds by then. I don't want the bike to be too weighted down for a week or 2 trip with gear and me.

·
Registered
292 Posts
otis, I hope this girlfriend is a better ride than the last........ In all seriousness, two-wheeled girlfriends aren't as touchy about getting wet in the rain, are willing to perform at anytime, will do exactly what they are told to do, love anything you give them ("Wow, what a nice big Ness sucker you gave me......what a nice six point wrench you use, and a perfect fit.......you think I need a wax, ok, I agree.......), don't mind being us showing them off, and, uh oh, UUHHH OOHHH, WIFE LOOKING OVER SHOULDER!!!!!!!! NO, Honey, it isn't what you think!!!! I'm only joking........honey........honest.......sweetheart..........really, it's only a........

sp[g [i59y-0q53-a 50-
an -e9

q5
q n90-u=90u =u9= ==9u ....... shazbot

OK, great, now have a headache and she hid the keys to my Vulcan. Wonderful!!!! No rides for a while. Sheesh........

·
Registered
702 Posts
King43 -- I know you're way too smart to give her access to your only set of keys. Look behind the removable brick under the work bench and grab that spare set....:D

·
Registered
988 Posts
Wide load

:D you guys are brave posting your wives and girlfriends weight... :D
Chuckling.....I also have a V2K for our two up trips and had to put a car tire on because I was only getting 2500 miles out of a stocker...BUT when you consider a 700lb payload including luggage..:eek: We rode the 900C two up one time only..to Dairy Queen..:D I was told emphatically "NEVER AGAIN":cool:
Sooo now, Renegade Solo Saddle, Cobra 2into1, Baron BAK.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
my wife has her own bike, so I don't have to worry about her. I usually run my shock at 5, and I weight about 200~. I never bottom out, and ride is firm and smooth at the same time.

·
Registered
88 Posts
great thread guys! its 2019, have a v900 with low miles 2012......quick questions, new to forum and bike

1. does it easily show you the 'number' that its adjust to?, whats max range?
2.. I am 200lb, no accessories , i figure of what i read a 4 or 5 should do?
3. my wife and I are just under 400, so we go to 6
4. wonder how much I add for weight with new accessories: bags, backrest, windshield? only 85lbs total i figure

also, where is the tool located, i never lifted the seat to see if its in the tools pouch? i mite need a work around tool....

appreciate your comments. thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Q1: Does it easily show you the 'number' that its adjust to?, whats max range?
A1: You have to count the little notches. there are 7 positions (notches). Where 1 is the softest and 7 is the firmest.

Q2: I am 200 lbs, no accessories , I figure of what I read a 4 or 5 should do?
A2: I am just under 200 lb, I bumped it up to position 4 (it was factory set to 3).

Q3. My wife and I are just under 400, so we go to 6
A3: It's a pain to change. You might want to try a 5. As long as it's not bottoming out you are fine.

Q4. Wonder how much I add for weight with new accessories: bags, backrest, windshield? only 85 lbs total I figure
A4: The windshield is light, plus its on the front wheel, so it doesn't matter. Just add the weight of the riders and the gear.

FYI, the max load (rider, passenger, and gear is 398 lbs).

There are a couple of spanning wrenches in the tool bag under he seat.

·
Registered
88 Posts
thanks Sledar!!! we appreciate it.

max weight only 400lbs? wow i've seen 2 big people on there with loaded accessories prolly 500lbs......well what happens if you go pst max 398lbs, power train struggles/engine? whats worse that can happen.

I read here that people you plyers to move the notch on the suspension instead of spanning tools, what so hard abot it?

i think i am gng with 5 like u said, I expect the handling to be better?

·
Registered
22 Posts
The suspension is designed to work with a max load of 398 lbs. The bigger concern would be a catastrophic failure of the rear tire. It has a maximum load rating as well. It's just not safe to exceed the load limit. Period.

Let me just say that mine was difficult to adjust, even with the proper tools (spanning wrenches). There is not a lot of room to work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts