Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shinko SE890 Journey tires have been on sale, lately. I was wondering if anybody has tried them on their Voyager ( or other heavy touring bike). I've heard they are made with a soft compound rubber, and they wear faster. I know they used to be Yokohama Tires. Has anybody ACTUALLY tried these? What do you think of them? I don't put the miles on, like I used to ( about 3k p/yr. now). Thought I might try one on the rear.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I put Shinko 777s on both my VN900 and my Vaquero. Fronts are still going strong. Both rears ran about 7 - 8 k miles and I'll be replacing them this spring. I don't know how the 777 compares to the SE890, but the 777 performed beautifully on the road. I wish they lasted longer, but for 1/2 the price of a Metzler, I can't complain.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put Shinko 777s on both my VN900 and my Vaquero. Fronts are still going strong. Both rears ran about 7 - 8 k miles and I'll be replacing them this spring. I don't know how the 777 compares to the SE890, but the 777 performed beautifully on the road. I wish they lasted longer, but for 1/2 the price of a Metzler, I can't complain.
Thanks, SteveJB! Just the kind of "actual personal experience" feedback I was hoping for.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I ran Shinko on my 900 with great results. I put a set on my Voyager. The front one is still on there. The rear I got around 6K before threads were showing. I do like the way the handle. They stick to the road very well. I never had the feeling they would lose grip, even in the rain.

Reactions: robbyk

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ran Shinko on my 900 with great results. I put a set on my Voyager. The front one is still on there. The rear I got around 6K before threads were showing. I do like the way the handle. They stick to the road very well. I never had the feeling they would lose grip, even in the rain.
Thanks, T Gibbs! 6000 miles is low miles to wear down to where the threads are showing! Many factors play into that, including the heavy weight of the Voyager. The weight rating (827 lb.) of the SE890 180/60R16-74H rear tire is close, but okay, since you figure the weight distribution between the front and rear (I think its 40/60%, front to rear). It does point out the common opinion that Shinkos wear quickly. For me,now-a-days, 6k miles would be 2 riding seasons. I hope I would still at least have the wear indicators left @ 6k! I guess I'll need to weigh the good handling vs. quick wear. I appreciate the insight from your experience.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'd say mine wore down quick because of my riding style. I accelerate quickly when pulling out on the highway, so my tire gets a lot of stress put on it. I went to a ME888 on the rear to see how much difference there is in mileage for the price. Unless I get a LOT more I'll probably go back to Shinko and just deal with the low mileage. I'd rather feel safe and change tires once a year.

Reactions: robbyk and Sabre-t

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
The SE890 is a radial tire. These bikes were designed to use bias tires. The Shinko 777 and 777HD are bias. I did a lot of online research on radial vs bias for bikes designed for bias tires. I just could not find enough compelling evidence one way or the other, so I decided that for me, I would just stick with bias. People have used radial tires on these bikes with mixed results but no disasters that I am aware of, though.

Personally, I would go with the 777HD for these big bikes rather than the regular 777, which is exactly what I'm planning to do on my next tire change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m running the 777HD. I have 4000 miles so far, they still look new.

Reactions: robbyk

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The SE890 is a radial tire. These bikes were designed to use bias tires. The Shinko 777 and 777HD are bias. I did a lot of online research on radial vs bias for bikes designed for bias tires. I just could not find enough compelling evidence one way or the other, so I decided that for me, I would just stick with bias. People have used radial tires on these bikes with mixed results but no disasters that I am aware of, though.

Personally, I would go with the 777HD for these big bikes rather than the regular 777, which is exactly what I'm planning to do on my next tire change.
Hmmm - another good point. Some large bikes call for bias and some call for radial. For instance, my FLSTC (Heritage) uses a belted tire, but the same year Fatboy uses a radial, (and wider) tire. Same with a Kawasaki VN1600A vs. VN1600B. On those two examples, you have differing tire types for basically the same series of bike, with similar weights. The only main difference I see, is the intended use - comfort vs. performance? As far as touring motorcycles, I know I liked going to radials on my Goldwing. However, maybe sticking with bias belts works better for this bike - everyone using 777's and having good luck -

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
It's not just comfort vs. performance. Rather than me type a long and probably incomplete explanation, I suggest you google the difference.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'd say mine wore down quick because of my riding style. I accelerate quickly when pulling out on the highway, so my tire gets a lot of stress put on it. I went to a ME888 on the rear to see how much difference there is in mileage for the price. Unless I get a LOT more I'll probably go back to Shinko and just deal with the low mileage. I'd rather feel safe and change tires once a year.
Very interested to here how this works out for you. I'm a big fan of Shinkos and use them on several bikes.

Have to say though, I recently put a set of Shinko 777s 86 Voyager (not sure if they're HD or not - need to check that). Putting tires on the Voyager is a PITA - if I found a set of tires that lasted twice (like maybe the 888's might) as long as the 777's, I'd be tempted to go for the ones that last longer so that I don't have to change tires so often (although there is something to be said about the handling of newer tires that still have their rounded profile).

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's not just comfort vs. performance. Rather than me type a long and probably incomplete explanation, I suggest you google the difference.
Thanks, yeah - I don't need a tutorial. Of course, there's always more to the story. However, this wasn't the point of my question. I get it - really.
Many riders can argue for hours on which is better - bias or radial - that's an old argument in many Harley & Cruiser circles! Some have changed to radials on bikes that originally had bias ply tires, and have been happy with the performance. Some like the ride. Others think if the manufacturer wanted the bike to have radials, they would have equipped them with them. Some run innertubes and that affects their opinion. I don't want that discussion.
I just wondered about Shinko tires. (Feedback on the Shinko Journey would be appreciated, too.) I don't ride as far, so I want to try them. It doesn't hurt they are on sale!
I understand, though - you do like Shinko tires, and that answers the basic question - Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Just to be clear, I am going to try Shinko 777HDs next tire change. I'm hoping they will provide traction similar to Bridgestone Exedras (but at a much lower price) and noticeably better than MCIIs. I have actually not used Shinkos at this time, so don't count me as a "like" in the Shinko column. :unsure: Hopefully, I will be in that column after I have tried them.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I also have the 777HD, currently with about 7000 miles on them with lots of tread left and they handle great. I'll be buying them again. 1500 Classic

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I also have the 777HD, currently with about 7000 miles on them with lots of tread left and they handle great. I'll be buying them again. 1500 Classic
Thanks! 1500FI was a great bike - we had over 56,000 miles on ours, before trading it in. We had 1500 Nomad (carbureted), too. Good machines!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very interested to here how this works out for you. I'm a big fan of Shinkos and use them on several bikes.

Have to say though, I recently put a set of Shinko 777s 86 Voyager (not sure if they're HD or not - need to check that). Putting tires on the Voyager is a PITA - if I found a set of tires that lasted twice (like maybe the 888's might) as long as the 777's, I'd be tempted to go for the ones that last longer so that I don't have to change tires so often (although there is something to be said about the handling of newer tires that still have their rounded profile).
Yes, the rear tires (Bridgestone & Dunlop) on heavier (750+) bikes always seem to "Flatten-out" in the middle of the tread, before wearing-out. Start getting noisy in turns, but don't want to replace, when tread is left on tire!
It seems most people who ACTUALLY owned Shinkos were happy with them, or at least, tempered their complaints with a price/value consideration. Thanks for input!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just to be clear, I am going to try Shinko 777HDs next tire change. I'm hoping they will provide traction similar to Bridgestone Exedras (but at a much lower price) and noticeably better than MCIIs. I have actually not used Shinkos at this time, so don't count me as a "like" in the Shinko column. :unsure: Hopefully, I will be in that column after I have tried them.
Yes, I'm in that same place, right now. I have read other forums who have a lot of guys who bad mouth them as "cheap China tires". Firstly, they are originally a product of Yokohama motorcycle tire division, who was bought out by Shinko Group, another Japanese company. Secondly, they are actually made in S. Korea. I imagine most riders are aware of how few, if any, motorcycle tires are made in the U.S.
I also notice, with a few exceptions, most negative feedback was from riders who never ACTUALLY owned a Shinko tire and thought a lower price meant a lower quality of tire. My research indicated it may be more a case of rubber compound choices and out sourcing manufacturing. I've read that some tires use an expensive method of blending rubber compounds, to achieve longer wear. But my tires cup or flatten-out, before wearing out. I run them according to inflation instructions. I accept this as reality, and they do last, but get noisy and quit performing optimally.
That's why I think I will try this tire. My dealer has quoted me a discount price to match the online sale price of the online stores, and will install at the normal, " in-house bought" price. That makes my total tire price a cool $100 less than a Bridgestone or Dunlop. If I was ever gonna try one - now is the time!

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Yes, the rear tires (Bridgestone & Dunlop) on heavier (750+) bikes always seem to "Flatten-out" in the middle of the tread, before wearing-out. Start getting noisy in turns, but don't want to replace, when tread is left on tire!
It seems most people who ACTUALLY owned Shinkos were happy with them, or at least, tempered their complaints with a price/value consideration. Thanks for input!
It's just my opinion, but I think most people over inflate MC tires. I think this is a big part of the center wearing too quickly. I see over and over people saying they inflate to the cold max (or more) on the side wall, but they cannot possibly be putting a load on those tires anywhere near the max, especially for heavy duty tires with high load ratings. Over inflating reduces the contact patch, no matter if you are going straight or in curves, so you are going to get wear over a smaller area.

I need to note that I do believe that Kawi has a ridiculously low pressure recommendation for the front Bridgestone tire they recommend, but even running those at a more reasonable pressure is still way below the max listed on the tire.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts