Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys and gals, just had a set of Shinko 777s mounted on my vulcan rims (130/90 16 front, (150/80 16 rear). I didn't realize it until I got home, but it looks like the shop may have mounted the front tire on backwards -- the arrow (when on top) points to the rear of the bike. The tire is definitely designated as a 'front' tire according to the seller (motorcycle-superstore) so I don't think this is a case where a 'rear' tire was mounted backwards on the front.

I immediately assumed it was wrong, but then had read that tread direction should be opposite on the front vs the rear. I also read that the rear tread should pull water away from the center of the tire, and the front tire should pull water in to the center. If this is true, then the mount is correct and the arrow was printed the wrong way on the tire? Seems pretty doubtful.

Am I focusing too much on the tread, and should I just trust the arrow and call up the shop? I'm planning to at least call for an explanation in the morning.

What do you guys think? Any tread experts out there?

Here's the tire. You can see the arrow pointing to the right. You can also see my rotor, which mounts on the left side of the fork.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just noticed that the red mounting dot on the sidewall isn't lined up with the valve stem either. Pretty sure this sticker (the shop discarded it apparently) was stuck to each tire:

Does this really matter?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called the shop, they immediately agreed it was incorrect and are going to fix it for me early Monday when I'm in the area. I asked about the tread direction and it sounds like it's just random year to year, depends on the manufacturer.

Oh well, mistakes happen.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Msal,def backward,glad they are fixing it for ya,mistakes happen,funny, directions on tire,dot prob for balancing,let us know how you like them,syracuse ny here
2010 nomad

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Get a free oil change for the inconvenience next time you need to service it

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's all set now, they fixed it asap and I waited for it. I usually do my own work -- I would rather learn whatever it is myself, plus the cost savings are nice! However, I don't have a tire machine or balancer...

I'll post an update on the Shinko's eventually, I know there is some interest here about them since they're so affordable.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Good deal, did they take care of you? IE: oil service?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good deal, did they take care of you? IE: oil service?
They did not, but I was just bringing them the tires. I work from home and only go in a couple of times a month, work office is ~2 hours away. It was convenient to have them mounted/balanced while I was working and there is nothing super close to me anyways.... long story short, I won't be down there with my bike anytime soon!

He had me come in the shop and showed me the process from start to finish since I was interested, so there is that. I'm just glad to hopefully get my bike on the road this week finally :cool:. I also know a little more about changing tires now, cast vs. spoke, etc. etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It isn't uncommon for some shops to refuse to mount carry-in tires. Though a free oil change would have been nice, it sounds like you have established a relationship with the shop. They will always remember you and will likely treat you well based on their goof-up.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I ran Shinko 230's on my other bike and was a little disappointed with how long the rear lasted 8000 km's on first and 9000 on second. The front is great still after 20,000 kms! My friend is trying the 777 and I am curious how it will hold up. Please let us know as if it is better than 230 I might try Shinko on the rear again.

It's all set now, they fixed it asap and I waited for it. I usually do my own work -- I would rather learn whatever it is myself, plus the cost savings are nice! However, I don't have a tire machine or balancer...

I'll post an update on the Shinko's eventually, I know there is some interest here about them since they're so affordable.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also tried the Shinko 777 whitewalls, initially thought they were a great deal! But I just had to replace my rear tire at 9,400 miles, the front is doing great, it has 11,000 on it now with a lot of life left. Ended up putting a Dunlop American Elite Whitewall on the rear, lets see how long this one lasts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts