Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my factory Dunlop 404 130/90-16 with a Shinko 230 tour master. Bike had 4,643 miles on it when changed. Hopefully i get some good mileage out of it before i replace it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Keep us up to date on how you like them.i did a running report on a set of Fullbore tires last year.Changing to Kenda Kruzers this year so I will do a report on those.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Shinko tires

Over the last 8 years i have had 3 bikes and i had to replace the front tire on all 3 plus a rear tire on one .I bought Shinko tires and was really suprised how well they held up and the price for the tires was alot cheaper then any other . Now that i have my 4th bike 2002 Vulcan Nomad ,the very 1st thing iam doing is replacing front and rear tires . I would buy these tires any day over any other tire out there .They wear great and again the price was the best .. i would give these tires a 10 out of 10 rating for sure .Brent

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just had a set of Shinko 777s mounted... looks like the front tire (130/90-16) is mounted backwards as it points to the back of the bike. However, the tread direction looks right and is opposite of the rear, which seems correct. Here's my front tire:

Is yours the same?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had called the shop and they verified it was a mistake. Probably common knowledge but it sounds like tread direction can change year to year and is totally up to the manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
If that is facing left side,my tread was running other way,I did sell the bike,shouldn't water run from inside out?

·
Registered
24 Posts
If that is facing left side,my tread was running other way,I did sell the bike,shouldn't water run from inside out?
From what I was told tire tread can change direction from year to year, even on the same model tire. I've also read that some manufacturers run the tread to direct water outside-->in in the front, and inside-->out in the back.. I think this has something to do with having additional breaking power in the front? Can't say I'm 100% sure but I know there are a few threads out there about it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Careful with the 230 Shinko. Check the load rating to make sure it falls in line with your bike. If you have a 900 or smaller, you're probably OK. I've ridden the 230s on my BMW K75 and loved them. The rear seemed to last 5k maybe 6k miles but they've treated me good and are great bang for the buck. I just ordered a rear tire for my 1500 Classic. Naturally I checked the 230 line for a 150/80 - 16. After looking at its load rating, I found Shinko's 777 model to have a higher load rating.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts