Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I seem to notice a sort of "clunk" most of the time when shifting into another gear. My 750 didn't seem to be this way. Is this a characteristic of the 900? It doesn't do it all the time but I have yet to get the technique identified (if there is one) that avoids it.
Thanks,

·
Registered
533 Posts
If mine didn't make that "clunk" I'd think I missed the gear entirely. In fact, the times that I haven't heard it, it's popped out of 1st while taking off. It only does that in first. No other gears.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mine clunks when shifting into 1st from neutral, most of the time from 1st to 2nd (although that seems to be getting bettter lately) and from 2nd to 3rd. 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th have always been real smooth and quiet. I've asked the dealer about it twice and they just say it's normal.

Some say synthetic oil helps, but I changed to synthetic at the 1st oil change, but couldn't tell any difference. :confused:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
The "clunk" signifies a satisfyingly clean shift!
This ain't no moped we are driving.
(No disrespect to moped riders) lol.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I kinda like the "clunk". It lets me know when I've shifted. I like that this bike is not super refined. I didn't want a luxury bike, I wanted a cruiser.

Don't get me wrong, if the shifting was smooth and quiet I'd still want this bike-it wouldn't be a deal breaker. It wasn't a factor at all when I was looking at bikes, just something I've grown to like.

Now, the fact that it's usually next to impossible to downshift once the bike has come to a stop is something I could live without, but as I understand it, this is a characteristic of motorcycle transmissions in general.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hello,

I seem to notice a sort of "clunk" most of the time when shifting into another gear. My 750 didn't seem to be this way. Is this a characteristic of the 900? It doesn't do it all the time but I have yet to get the technique identified (if there is one) that avoids it.
Thanks,
Yes it seems this is somewhat normal. My classic LT does this however 2 Customs I have ridden do not. They, however, have different shifters. Sadly I rode an '06 C50T that came in on trade where I work and it shifts so darned nice.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I kinda like the "clunk". It lets me know when I've shifted. I like that this bike is not super refined. I didn't want a luxury bike, I wanted a cruiser.

Don't get me wrong, if the shifting was smooth and quiet I'd still want this bike-it wouldn't be a deal breaker. It wasn't a factor at all when I was looking at bikes, just something I've grown to like.

Now, the fact that it's usually next to impossible to down shift once the bike has come to a stop is something I could live without, but as I understand it, this is a characteristic of motorcycle transmissions in general.
How many miles do you have?

Mine has had issues down shifting. The shifter would not ratchet back up at times until I released the clutch a bit. It got progressively worse to the point where one day it did it in all gears during down shift.

Then one day it never did it again. I am approaching 3500 miles. I think for the last 1000 miles it has gotten better. Time definitely seems to be T'Pol 's friend.

·
Registered
10 Posts
How many miles do you have?

Mine has had issues down shifting. The shifter would not ratchet back up at times until I released the clutch a bit. It got progressively worse to the point where one day it did it in all gears during down shift.

Then one day it never did it again. I am approaching 3500 miles. I think for the last 1000 miles it has gotten better. Time definitely seems to be T'Pol 's friend.
This is very similar to the problem I am currently having with my '09 Custom. Upon down-shifting, I can't get it to shift past 2nd into 1st. Whether I'm rolling or stopped, the shifter feels 'mushy' and fails to ratchet back up. I have to shift back up a few gears and back down again several times before it finally clunks into 1st gear. I just rolled over 1100kms, had it serviced at a 1000kms at the dealer, and it started doing this recently... gonna call 'em tomorrow. Anybody else experiencing this? :confused:

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I've got 4500 miles on mine. It downshifts OK as long as I'm moving. If I have to stop fast or just space off downshifting before I stop, it can be a pain (to downshift while at a stop). Letting the clutch out a little usually works, but not always. Sometimes applying pressure to the shifter while letting the clutch out a little helps.

I have just come to see it as my reminder to get it into 1st gear before I stop.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Dang, i wish i'd never read this thread... now i hear the "clunk" when i shift. Never used to pay any attention to it before. I wonder how long it'll be before i quit noticing it again. Sheesh. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts