Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read that you want to avoid shifting in a turn because you want to keep a constant pressure and traction on the rear tire and shifting can change that and potentially cause a slide out. Now, if I'm stopped at an intersection waiting turn left, when start out from a dead stop to round the corner, I find I get about half way around before I feel the need to shift into second gear (on my VN900). Most of the time I just shift when ready. Other times I wait until I clear the corner and then shift but if I do that the engine is rev'd pretty high by the time I shift into second.

I probably need to install a new front pulley to gear down but aside from that, any recommendations on this?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've read that you want to avoid shifting in a turn because you want to keep a constant pressure and traction on the rear tire and shifting can change that and potentially cause a slide out. Now, if I'm stopped at an intersection waiting turn left, when start out from a dead stop to round the corner, I find I get about half way around before I feel the need to shift into second gear (on my VN900). Most of the time I just shift when ready. Other times I wait until I clear the corner and then shift but if I do that the engine is rev'd pretty high by the time I shift into second.

I probably need to install a new front pulley to gear down but aside from that, any recommendations on this?
I don't see why shifting in a turn is an issue. I do it all the time. ALOT actually, and have never had a problem.

I can accelerate through a turn and coast through a turn so I don't see how shifting in a turn makes much difference. The only danger I see in shifting through a turn would be down shifting as this would add MORE power and torque to the rear wheel possibly causing a loss of traction when twistin the right grip.

·
Registered
26 Posts

I would say avoid shifting in a corner from a start. It does not feel safe to me at all. Taking corners on my 900 in first gear from a stop feels fine to me. If you feel like a front pulley would help to avoid shifting in corners, then I say go for it.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I shift in turns all the time - from a start, or otherwise. Sometimes, you really down't have any option. Smoothness is key.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about shifting gears during low speed turns, but I wouldn't make a habit of it when negotiating bends. I try to be in the correct gear at the right speed and on the best approach line as I enter a curve.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I shift in turns all the time - from a start, or otherwise. Sometimes, you really down't have any option. Smoothness is key.
Sums it up for me. I shift in turns and curves, but only when I have to, and I do it as gently and smoothly as possible.

It really only applies at low speeds for me. When cruising, the gearing of the 900 doesn't make it necessary for me to change gears at anything over 45, up or down, unless I have a real need to accelerate hard coming out of a curve. When that's the case, chances are I'd already downshifted.

Is it weird I feel my old FT500 out performs my VN900 in terms of sport driving? Kinda wish I hadn't sold it now, would like to have put a 600 jug on and made it a little streetfighter.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've read that you want to avoid shifting in a turn because you want to keep a constant pressure and traction on the rear tire and shifting can change that and potentially cause a slide out.

I know this particular forum is designated for new riders, but I felt I should chime in.
This quoted advice would probably apply to a GPZ Race participant during extreme lean angles. ... Also keep in mind that much of this advice comes from the various state licensing boards and handbooks that have been written by bureaucrats that have never seen a day on two wheels, ... nor will they.
In over thirty years of two wheel adventures, I have always allowed my engine to tell me when to shift, whether in a corner or otherwise. (modifying that only by my speed & the current road conditions. ... AKA judgement calls)
The mere fact that I am still here to pass this advice along, speaks volumes.
Enjoy your ride, and trust your gut!!

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,855 Posts
Shifting in a turn is fine just be careful down shifting to much as your turning if you get in a too low of gear you run a risk of sliding that back tire out from under you.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Like everyone says, keep it smooth and there won't be any problems.

I think the idea is that you are going to engine brake or add too much power all at once WHILE you are leaning hard. You shouldn't do that; but if you can lean it far enough to use most of your traction, you can probably make a smooth shift.:)

I might avoid it if the road is wet and you are driving on a painted stripe or other slick surface. But, shifting in a relaxed turn on dry pavement isn't going to be a problem.

Scott

·
Registered
10 Posts
Shifting in a corner can be done. The idea is not to put the power on too much mid corner. Can be more of an issue on a shaft drive bike because you may get some driveline lash. Of course if you keep the rev's matched to the next gear there won't be a problem.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the advise folks. I've been working on the smooth shifting and it really helps. Two things. First, preloading by applying light pressure to the shifter and then squeezing the clutch just enough to complete the shift. Second, matching revs and controlling the front brake at the same time when slowing down. Take some practice but makes a big difference. I feel much more in control of the bike.

·
Registered
180 Posts
You can even take off on 2nd gear if you are good but technically, you should be able to shift up to 2nd gear as long as the wheels are turning, meaning immediately after releasing the clutch and the bike starts moving a few feet, shift up to 2nd gear. If you are fast and smooth enough, you will be in second gear before you are in full lean and not high revving.

Like others mentioned though, if there is a painted surface, or the ground is wet, loose gravel, etc. I say keep in first gear and don't rev high or change gears until the bike is straight up again.

When in doubt, I like to error on the side of being safe and prudent.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I guess it depends on how aggressively you're attacking the turn. If I'm straightening out twisties, there will be NO shifting during turns. If I have to decelerate, I make sure to brake, downshift, and lean into the corner in that order.

Being in the right gear at the right speed for aggressive cornering is not difficult with V-twins. They have broad, flat torque curves that make it easy to predict where you need to be.

I've also never had need to shift while accelerating away from a stop sign or light.

However, if I'm fiddle-farting around, or I'm stuck behind some slowpoke, I will shift to maintain optimum cruising RPM. But I hate being stuck behind slowpokes.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I am with everyone else, I shift in curves if I have to, Don't think too much about it. Also don't have to very often either. But when I first started riding, or on an unfamiliar bike, I tend to avoid it because I don't want to down shift too hard or release the clutch too hard. I think the "don't shift in a curve" advise is more for rookie riders until they develop their skills or people who pretend to be speed racer.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I UP shift in curves and turns whenever the bike wants it. I avoid DOWN shifting, or slowing down at all as much as possible during those maneuvers.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I agree with everyone. When I start from stop on a turn I shift all the time while making turn. Just keep it smooth otherwise there might be a problem.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Glad i read this. This is my third season on a bike an i'm still split between clutch in or clutch out on SHARP turns. I find myself clutching in, downshifting mid-turn and having to accelerate 1/2 way thru the turn to keep balance. Probably a bad habit?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
30 Posts
You are actually suppose to increase you speed gradually thru a turn...or atleast that's what they taught in the msf course

I def do this for bends in the road and turning at broad intersections. But, turning sharp right onto a side street from a busy/fast street in the city is what gets me. Always feel like i'll get rear-ended if I slow down too much before the turn. Dont want to shift into first because im not coming to a stop, but clutch out in 2nd just kinda feels too fast for the real sharp ones.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts