Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have an 08 Classic LT. Before I bought it I test drove an 09 Custom and earlier this week I test drove an 07 Custom. What I noticed on the very 1st test drive of the 09 and reaffirmed it with the 07 is the Custom shifts very very smoothly and quietly. Much more then the Classic. Why is this? Is it because of the different shifter or is there actually a different tranny?

·
Registered
941 Posts
I don't know if there is a difference between the trannys from the custom to the classic. But the classic uses a heel/toe shifter while the custom is toe/toe. Now I know from having my 750 and wanting to get a heel/toe shifter I was steered away from that cuz when you shift using your heel the amount of force needed to shift is far less because the amount of power put out is alot. Because of that I was told that it would be hard on the tranny since it wasn't designed for that. So back to the 900 I can see that the Classic will have a different feel shifting then the custom. It could also be the posistion of your foot on a peg versus a floorboard.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know if there is a difference between the trannys from the custom to the classic. But the classic uses a heel/toe shifter while the custom is toe/toe. Now I know from having my 750 and wanting to get a heel/toe shifter I was steered away from that cuz when you shift using your heel the amount of force needed to shift is far less because the amount of power put out is alot. Because of that I was told that it would be hard on the tranny since it wasn't designed for that. So back to the 900 I can see that the Classic will have a different feel shifting then the custom. It could also be the position of your foot on a peg versus a floorboard.
I can tell you that shifting the custom is butter smooth. I personally don't like the heel shifting. It is uncomfortable for me however the floorboards are very comfortable.

when you shift using your heel the amount of force needed to shift is far less because the amount of power put out is a lot.
I am not sure what you mean by this. If you mean the 900 has more power and the trans is designed to shift with a heel toe I am not sure what to say. 1st of all I don't think the 900 has more power then the VN750. The 750 at least is equal or may have more power (at least HP) than the 900.

If you mean you have greater leverage using the heel, well that is possible. I, however, do not think Kawi would waste their money building a different trans for the Custom. I just wish the Classic (or at least mine) shifted that smooth.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I mean that your leg has more force when pushing with the heel then the toe.
I think I had taken my sleeping pill when I wrote that, so sometimes don't come out the way I want them too.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mean that your leg has more force when pushing with the heel then the toe.
I think I had taken my sleeping pill when I wrote that, so sometimes don't come out the way I want them too.
OK I understand that especially since gravity is always in effect ;)

·
Registered
941 Posts
Not so much gravity, just that you are stronger and can exert more force with your heel. Because you are using all of your legs muscles to push down. your toe especially when pushing up you can't exert that much force.

It's like when you curb stomp somebodies head, you use your heel not your toes.:eek:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not so much gravity, just that you are stronger and can exert more force with your heel. Because you are using all of your legs muscles to push down. your toe especially when pushing up you can't exert that much force.

It's like when you curb stomp somebodies head, you use your heel not your toes.:eek:
Well all I meant is gravity is constantly pulling down and when you are pushing down with your heel you are working with gravity, it was a joke actually.

Still though I am thinking you feel you need extra force to shift these things which you shouldn't need. My only experience with the Customs is an 07 and an 09 and they shift smooth as silk. If I could readily change to a toe only shifter (and know it would make the difference) I would do it in a heart beat.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i have an 08 classic and its shifts nice and smooth havent rode the custom for reference but would assume it is identical motor and tranny. but also shift up with my toe most of the time outta habit but love the floorboards :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have an 08 classic and its shifts nice and smooth haven't rode the custom for reference but would assume it is identical motor and tranny. but also shift up with my toe most of the time outta habit but love the floorboards :)
I am a toe shifter too. When I really try to shift with my heal it is like granny shifting for me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Heel shifting not tough

My son has an 07 900 Custom. I have an 02 Mean Streak and an 05 1500Classic with the heel/toe shifter. On the Classic all I have to do is barely "clip" the shifter with my heel and it shifts smooth as silk! If yours shifts harder than a toe shifter something must need adjusting. I will admit, for "speed" shifting, a toe shifter is much better. I can shift much quicker on the Mean Streak and my son's Custom than on the Classic.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Yeah i have noticed that the bike doesn't take much effort on the heel shift. But I still do find myself up shifting with my toe. I do miss my ninja, cuz on there I was able to switch the shifter around so up shifting was pushing down, and down shifting was pulling up. I had learned on a old honda trail 50, so those muscle memory things are still there.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My son has an 07 900 Custom. I have an 02 Mean Streak and an 05 1500Classic with the heel/toe shifter. On the Classic all I have to do is barely "clip" the shifter with my heel and it shifts smooth as silk! If yours shifts harder than a toe shifter something must need adjusting. I will admit, for "speed" shifting, a toe shifter is much better. I can shift much quicker on the Mean Streak and my son's Custom than on the Classic.
I am not saying that the heel requires more effort than the toe but for me to position my foot and heel shift it is uncomfortable. I have seen that I can accidentally clip it and it shifts all to easy into neutral LOL. I have a size 13 - 14 foot so there is not that much room betwixt the forward and back shift levers.

Let me restate what I am saying about the Custom's shifting. When I 1st road tested the Custom I was amazed and impressed with the silky smooth ("smooth as an android's bottom Data" - Riker) shift pattern. Compared to my VN750 which had it's fits with being smooth but most of the time required some effort. I attributed this to some missing clip I read about on the VN750 forum. A fix I never bothered to pursue but I had noticed that the shifter moved in and out of the trans excessively. Therefore I was totally smitten with the smooth and positive shift pattern of the Custom.

The LT on the other hand is far more smooth then the VN750 (well mine anyway) but not as much as the Custom. Had I not test driven a Custom this week I would not have remembered.

Now I have had down shifting issues. Not since I had it in for it's late 600 mile service (900 miles). I know they adjusted the clutch and it took me a bit to get used to it after that. They had also adjusted the shifter too. The down shift issue was when I was slowing to a stop I generally shift like this:
5 --> 4 --> 3 let out the clutch coast then 3 --> 2 --> 1 let out the clutch, coast, clutch, stop. Before anyone has a cow and things I am doing this at cruise speed I am not. Generally my 1st series of down shifts occur at sub 25mph and the 2nd around 10mph. What would happen is when going from 5th to 4th the shifter refused to ratchet back up. Once I engaged the clutch just a bit it would continue to function.

I am wondering if I should find another Classic 900 to take a spin on :confused:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah i have noticed that the bike doesn't take much effort on the heel shift. But I still do find myself up shifting with my toe. I do miss my ninja, cuz on there I was able to switch the shifter around so up shifting was pushing down, and down shifting was pulling up. I had learned on a old honda trail 50, so those muscle memory things are still there.
That is pretty cool!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Now I have had down shifting issues. Not since I had it in for it's late 600 mile service (900 miles). I know they adjusted the clutch and it took me a bit to get used to it after that. They had also adjusted the shifter too. The down shift issue was when I was slowing to a stop I generally shift like this:
5 --> 4 --> 3 let out the clutch coast then 3 --> 2 --> 1 let out the clutch, coast, clutch, stop. Before anyone has a cow and things I am doing this at cruise speed I am not. Generally my 1st series of down shifts occur at sub 25mph and the 2nd around 10mph. What would happen is when going from 5th to 4th the shifter refused to ratchet back up. Once I engaged the clutch just a bit it would continue to function.

I am wondering if I should find another Classic 900 to take a spin on :confused:[/QUOTE]

I have had a similar issue - stopped at a light -did not downshift since it changed quick. Pushed (kicked it down) till the lever stiffed up -like it stops in low. When the light changed - whoa I was in probably 3rd gear!! No time to knockit down before the car behind me flattens me out. The 900 gutted it out. Now I've found if I quick stop I Bring the clutch out a little in each gear, then it shifts down OK.

I agree on the heel shift too - My size 11s have gotten stuck on the heel pad a couple times. Thinking of leveling it with the board at the 600 mi.
I don't want to change anything since it only has 250 mi on it.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have had a similar issue - stopped at a light -did not down shift since it changed quick. Pushed (kicked it down) till the lever stiffed up -like it stops in low. When the light changed - whoa I was in probably 3rd gear!! No time to knock it down before the car behind me flattens me out. The 900 gutted it out. Now I've found if I quick stop I Bring the clutch out a little in each gear, then it shifts down OK.

I agree on the heel shift too - My size 11s have gotten stuck on the heel pad a couple times. Thinking of leveling it with the board at the 600 mi.
I don't want to change anything since it only has 250 mi on it.
I haven't had many issues in a while and when I have I found that I am catching the back of my shoe on the heel pad and I thought that obviously was the issue.

Yesterday the problem manifested itself in a major way. Every down shift from 5 to 1 had an issue at one point and it wasn't my foot. The shifter would not ratchet back up until I released the clutch just a bit. Once again though, it has not repeated itself.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I haven't had many issues in a while and when I have I found that I am catching the back of my shoe on the heel pad and I thought that obviously was the issue.

Yesterday the problem manifested itself in a major way. Every down shift from 5 to 1 had an issue at one point and it wasn't my foot. The shifter would not ratchet back up until I released the clutch just a bit. Once again though, it has not repeated itself.
I would like to add that at this point T'Pol has been shifting just fine with no shifter issues. It must have just worked it self out I guess.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would like to add that at this point T'Pol has been shifting just fine with no shifter issues. It must have just worked it self out I guess.

Did you get an oil change and it started working fine? I have started experiencing this same problem with my 2009 Custom last week and haven't been able to fix it.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had my 600 miler done around 900 or so. Basically sometime around 3500 miles or so + or - it just started shifting fine. I've got almost 4500 on T'Pol now. It just seemed to work itself out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
For me, it showed up around 2,000 miles. I am at about 2,500 miles.

I really think it is a safety issue. A few times I have had to take off in 2nd or 3rd gear as I could just not get it into 1st.

I think I might change the oil and see if that helps.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Are you guys pulling in the clutch then shift and release clutch shift srelease clutch and so on ? In other words a down shift from 5th to 1st would go like this 5th pull clutch shift to 4th release clutch, pull clutch shift to 3rd release cluch, pull clutch shift to 2nd release clutch, pull clutch shift to 1st.
The gearbox is designed to work like this although it will tolerate other shifting styles.
Also i have found the 900 series bikes like the revs/rpm to be a little higher when you shift the tranny is much quieter when you shift at a slightly higher speed.
On a downshift i normally pull the clutch and blip the throttle to get the revs up and shift at the same time

1 - 20 of 30 Posts