Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Grrrr, what a crappy vacation this has started out to be. A beautiful day yesterday and I decide to go for a ride and check out some Voyagers/Vaqueros as I'm ready to get something bigger. Stop first at my bank to make a deposit and when I leave my shifter linkage broke off at the transmission leaving me stuck in first gear. I'm only about 3 to 4 miles from home at this point so I slowly limped it home in first gear. Naturally none of the Kawi dealers within a 25 mile radius had the part in stock so now I'm bikeless for about a week until the part is delivered. Below is a pic of the part that broke $38.00 from partzilla.com, $44.50 from the Kawi dealer.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Grrrr, what a crappy vacation this has started out to be. A beautiful day yesterday and I decide to go for a ride and check out some Voyagers/Vaqueros as I'm ready to get something bigger. Stop first at my bank to make a deposit and when I leave my shifter linkage broke off at the transmission leaving me stuck in first gear. I'm only about 3 to 4 miles from home at this point so I slowly limped it home in first gear. Naturally none of the Kawi dealers within a 25 mile radius had the part in stock so now I'm bikeless for about a week until the part is delivered. Below is a pic of the part that broke $38.00 from partzilla.com, $44.50 from the Kawi dealer.
What the hell,that :surprise:sucs

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is the part that broke? - looks like it had broken at some point and someone did a Mickey Mouse welding job on it - or ???
I was wondering the same thing, I'm the second owner of the bike so it could have broken before but I would think it would have been covered by the warranty. I bought this in early 2015 with 4500 miles on it, it's a 2011. my new part is supposed to be delivered tomorrow according to UPS so we will see if the new one looks the same.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Well, got the part today and it looks as crappy as the original, just shinier.
If that part as shown is OEM, Kawi at some point must have revised it but why? Maybe it's for a different version or model? That part on my 900 is a straight no-bend one-piece forging with no welding. ??? Also from the original post it isn't certain just what was broken, if the new part is OEM.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If that part as shown is OEM, Kawi at some point must have revised it but why? Maybe it's for a different version or model? That part on my 900 is a straight no-bend one-piece forging with no welding. ??? Also from the original post it isn't certain just what was broken, if the new part is OEM.
Yes, it is OEM. Part #13236-0100. Mine is a 2011 Vulcan Classic SE
The rubber boot part that is circled is what broke on the original piece.

002.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
918 Posts
I think the part you are thinking of is the part connected directly to the shifter. It is a straight, solid piece. The part the OP is describing is on the other end of the linkage.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Here's a part diagram for a 2012 900 LT. It looks exactly like the OP's.

2012 Kawasaki VULCAN 900 CLASSIC LT (VN900DCF) Gear Change Mechanism | Babbitts Kawasaki Partshouse

Kaw used the same part# from 2006 to 2017 for all the 900 models.

EDIT: OP, the way that piece sheared off makes me think you're stomping on the shifter too hard when down shifting.
I think that I was looking at a different part - 13236 rather than 13236A, since the latter one appears more like the OP's.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Here's a part diagram for a 2012 900 LT. It looks exactly like the OP's.

2012 Kawasaki VULCAN 900 CLASSIC LT (VN900DCF) Gear Change Mechanism | Babbitts Kawasaki Partshouse

Kaw used the same part# from 2006 to 2017 for all the 900 models.

EDIT: OP, the way that piece sheared off makes me think you're stomping on the shifter too hard when down shifting.
Yep - I think that I was looking at a different part - 13236 rather than 13236A, since the latter one appears more like the OP's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts