Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother passed away in the middle of changing his clutch slave cylinder and I got his 1500 Drifter partially disassembled... I have ridden and/or been around bikes for about 50 years and know my way around them but this heel/toe shifter business is new to me... I'm a 1 down, 4 up guy.... :smile2:

I've got everything back on except the shift levers and I am at a loss... I put the toe shifter on and slide it all the way over to engine side of the shaft where the grooves end... I start to tighten the 10mm bolt and as i do, the lever begins to move until the bolt finds that indention in the shaft and then it flops around and doesn't grab anything... Tried another bolt and it threads down just to where it touches the shaft and wont go further and i am not going to force it.

The bolt was missing from the heel shifter so i need to find another bolt for it. The exploded view on BikeBandit shows that the bolts are the same size, but my rear lever bolt needs to be larger... possibly been drilled out????

I know that I am doing something wrong but just can't wrap my head around it.

Help a ignorant soul out .... can you?

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
In order to remove the shift linkage, sometimes a wedge is driven in the gap to release the grip. When you reinstall it there are punch marks on the linkage that should be lined up with the punch mark on the shifter shaft. Install the toe shifter first, alight the punch mark, insure the bolt hole aligns with the groove in the shift shaft. Tighten the bolt until the linkage is tight on the shaft. Same with the heel shifter, it also has alignment punch marks. If the bolt hole has been drilled and retapped for a larger bolt, the shifter shaft groove will also have to be enlarged. These bikes are also 1 down & 4 up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate it. I was actually helping him work on the bike when he passed. I couldn't do a thing for him except CPR until the paramedics arrived. They said he was most likely gone before he hit the ground... So, getting this bike running is like redemption.... It means a lot to me. Kind of like getting back at death...

Stupid, I know....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the lever bolts go THROUGH the groove on the shaft? I'm wondering if the bolt is stripped and not tightening the lever enough.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I appreciate it. I was actually helping him work on the bike when he passed. I couldn't do a thing for him except CPR until the paramedics arrived. They said he was most likely gone before he hit the ground... So, getting this bike running is like redemption.... It means a lot to me. Kind of like getting back at death...

Stupid, I know....

No, not stupid! Sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Guys!!!! we did it... We beat the devil! I got the shift lever locked on and tight and just took a tentative ride around my neighborhood!!!

Ya'll will never know what you've done..... Thanks for taking time to answer a Noob.

Again.. Thanks

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Hey Guys!!!! we did it... We beat the devil! I got the shift lever locked on and tight and just took a tentative ride around my neighborhood!!!

Ya'll will never know what you've done..... Thanks for taking time to answer a Noob.

Again.. Thanks
Sorry bout your loss Barry,Nice that you got er done,,He be smilin:smile2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts