Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Vulcan 900 classic with 36k on the clock. The rear shift lever broke on me while riding home from work. It looks like it had been cracked for quite some time before it finally broke off. I'm just curious, is this a common issue? Or am I just shifting too hard?

Attachments

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'll take a stand at this. I have not heard that this is a common problem. Having said that, it looks to me like that piece is welded, but that might be a factory weld, I'm not sure. Anyway, that shift lever should be available from Kawasaki, for not too much I would think. The shift link still looks good, except for the end piece, which should also be available from Kawasaki.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your responses. I have checked with my local dealer and it is available new for about $47. I was just curious if anyone had this problem before or had heard of it being a common issue. Once again, thank you

·
Registered
419 Posts
I sometimes hate spell checkers. I meant to say "I'll take a stab at this". Glad the part wasn't very expensive.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Interesting I have a 2006 900 classic bought used. The seller handed me a bag of spare parts - it was the old shift linkage.

I wonder it the heel shift puts more stress on the linkage or maybe the operator mashing the shifter with his/ her heel is the issue.

Anyway I use the toe shift most of the time.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Interesting I have a 2006 900 classic bought used. The seller handed me a bag of spare parts - it was the old shift linkage.

I wonder it the heel shift puts more stress on the linkage or maybe the operator mashing the shifter with his/ her heel is the issue.

Anyway I use the toe shift most of the time.
Also too much pressure on the shifter which is more easily possible when using the heel function can bend the internal shifter fork in the engine - not a pleasant prospect to repair since it requires splitting the engine case. After mashing the heel shifter a couple of times and with that prospect in mind I adjusted the shifter mounting on the spline shaft so that it is a toe shifter only (heel part of shifter is below the footboard level).

·
Registered
14 Posts
If I may, cut it off and use the toe only. I have no choice. Size 13 shoes are stepping on the rear shifter all the time. i just asked on an recent post about it. I've never had a heel shifter so Im happy I dont have to keep my heel up

1 - 10 of 10 Posts