Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first bike without a tach. Can some of you share at what speeds you normally shift? While I really like the bike, the missing 6th gear is driving me crazy, I'm always looking for that last shift as I get up to highway speed.

·
Registered
742 Posts
yea... wanting another gear really throws you off?!?! i am still getting used to that one.

as for speeds... the manual tells you what to shift at:
1st to 2nd ... 12MPH
2nd to 3rd ... 19MPH
3rd to 4th ... 25MPH
4th to 5th ... 31MPH

and in reverse it:

25MPH
19MPH
12MPH
9MPH

i am not sure these are practical speeds though... i can't wait until 25MPH to shift down to 4th from 5th, the bike will jerk and choke?!?! i usually am in 4th around 36-40MPH if i remember right. i have been doing it by feel but maybe someone on here has it down to a science?!

--- ken got in before me! :) i agree with his speeds, they are a good judge of what gear and when.

·
Registered
427 Posts
2d-20
3d-30
4th-40
5th-55
Yes, exactly.

I do it now by sound and feel, but when I was learning the bike after I first bought it and was paying attention to such things, the above breakdown is exactly where I found myself shifting.

·
Registered
719 Posts
If you've got a full face helmet like mine you shift when you want. I can't see the speedo and I'm not going to keep looking down and be roadkill. My open face helmet is only a little better.One of those idiot lights could come on and I'd never know it. My one dislike of the many of the cruiser and touring bikes. Safety obviously wasn't considered during design.

·
Registered
343 Posts
50+
you can hear the RPMs peek power

I too miss the speedo on the bars where you could see them with out moving your head

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. I agree about the speedo, when I first started looking at cruisers I was bothered by it, but seems to be the standard so to roll with it. I'm mostly cruising on the back roads at this point so it's not such a big deal, but when I venture out on the highway it would be nice to know how fast I'm going without having to take my eyes off of all of the idiots that like to text and drive.

·
Registered
79 Posts
This is my first bike without a tach. Can some of you share at what speeds you normally shift? While I really like the bike, the missing 6th gear is driving me crazy, I'm always looking for that last shift as I get up to highway speed.
Shifting speeds are listed in the owners manual under the chapter on breaking in a new bike.

Jason

·
Registered
427 Posts
If you've got a full face helmet like mine you shift when you want. I can't see the speedo and I'm not going to keep looking down and be roadkill. My open face helmet is only a little better.One of those idiot lights could come on and I'd never know it. My one dislike of the many of the cruiser and touring bikes. Safety obviously wasn't considered during design.
I couldn't agree more. I also wear a full-face helmet, and it is a problem. I know it's supposed to give the handlebars that clean, uncluttered look...but give me the handlebars of my '80s bikes that were cluttered with a nicely visible speedometer and tachometer any day.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Was going to work Friday at 0 dark 30 and came up on a bike, he must've been one of those 4 speeds something. Cruiser style but old with a banana style seat and at 70 mph he sounded like my 900 in 3rd.

Anyways we merged into the same place, ran for a while together and then he went off on a closer exit. This guy probably would like a couple extra gears. Then again, it was a pretty nice morning to ride into work, maybe he's happy with what he's got.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The bike I currently ride is a 4 speed. you guys complain about wanting another gear? hahahaha.. you have no idea. I tend to shift by ear. When you hear the engine winding up; shift. I've driven standard vehicles for awhile and hardly ever look at the tach. Whenever i look at a tach I tend to want to bounce the needle off the redline ;)

·
Registered
274 Posts
I do 20/30/40/50 It works well with me You just have to listen to your engine and use your best judgement really 20/30/40/50 works well sometimes 45 im in 5th instead of 50

1 - 13 of 13 Posts