Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning, I recently purchased a 2009 Vulcan 1700 and it does not accelerate smoothly when you give it more than a little throttle. It seems to me the air/fuel mixture is out of wack but the Dealer's mechanic took it for a ride and said it runs fine. This is my first Kawasaki and the largest V twin I have owned but I don't think it is correct. Can anyone offer me any insight into this issue?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
the dealer mechanic took your bike for a ride and said it was ok, but since you are not convinced, can you find a few biker friends and ask if they can do the same as mechanic and take a test ride and give you their opinions also, the more opinions you get on your bike the better, even if you know of another 1700 rider who can take it for a ride, you need more opinions to make the correct assessment

·
Registered
201 Posts
the dealer mechanic took your bike for a ride and said it was ok, but since you are not convinced, can you find a few biker friends and ask if they can do the same as mechanic and take a test ride and give you their opinions also, the more opinions you get on your bike the better, even if you know of another 1700 rider who can take it for a ride, you need more opinions to make the correct assessment
Yes, I agree. I know when I rode my (then) new 1500 Vulcan Nomad to South Dakota for the first time, I was not accustomed to the way it ran. I had a Gold Wing before that, and it took some time to know whether something was wrong with me or the bike! I know that my Voyager 1700 seems to vibrate under acceleration more, if I am lugging the engine, or riding into a strong wind. Large V-twins can have a stronger "Pulse" than you may be used to. Try downshifting and running a little higher r.p.m., see if it gets better. Funny thing - If it had been a truck, I would have instinctively known to downshift on a steep hill to pass someone. I was just "Spoiled" by the 6 cylinder Gold Wing! And yes - other opinions help allot!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Oil may be getting up into the crank case if you have too much oil in it. That will cause a loss of horse power and overheating. Make sure the oil level is right. Also, it may just be time to change the oil. The oil may have broken down just enough to make the clutch slip a smidge, depending on the oil and how long it's been in service. I tried a partial synthetic Castro at had a similar experience after about 4k. Changed the oil and it went away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts