Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have an 05 Vulcan 1600 with 8000 miles. I added a set of Vance and Hines and a power commander 3. The bike sounds and rides good but. When I get on it, it seems like the engine is revving up too much for the shaft drive to keep up with. I'm not sure how to really explain it but it reminds me of turbo lag on an older diesel truck so I am thinking shaft lag.

Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have an 04 1600 classic. I dont have them issues except in 5th gear it feels like its over drive.pulls great in other 4 gears. 5th is just slow to go any faster real fast.but it did put me in mind of a diesel .funny you said that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If the motor is revving up but not transferring power to the rear wheel your clutch is slipping. It could be weak springs, worn clutch plates, or quite possibly the wrong type oil.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have an 04 1600 classic. I dont have them issues except in 5th gear it feels like its over drive.pulls great in other 4 gears. 5th is just slow to go any faster real fast.but it did put me in mind of a diesel .funny you said that.

It only happens in 5th gear for me too.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Remove the clutch master cylinder top and peer down to the bottom.
There you will see two small holes.
Take a fine wire or bristle and make sure they are clear.

Now would be a good time to flush and replace the fluid in the clutch and both braking systems.

At 8000 miles, I would not suspect clutch spring nor worn clutch, yet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Remove the clutch master cylinder top and peer down to the bottom.

There you will see two small holes.

Take a fine wire or bristle and make sure they are clear.

Now would be a good time to flush and replace the fluid in the clutch and both braking systems.

At 8000 miles, I would not suspect clutch spring nor worn clutch, yet.

Thank you, I'll check that out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I really think its just the nature of it. I like the fact once im in 5th it doesnt feel like it needs another gear. I had an 800 intruder that screamed in 5th . This one i just make sure I get the speed I want before 5th.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the same issue with my 03 Classic, I am convinced it is the clutch slipping. I am going to judge Washers and Meanstreak clutch on my classic. (81,000 miles)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update.... I rode around for a while and the slipping got worse. My buddy installed a new clutch assembly and a Barnett spring. It rides like a champ now.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
If you had a clutch fail at that mileage, I am suspecting for some reason...like a plugged relief port, etc. Unless, of course, if it was severely beat on...
I would try to determine why it failed or the new unit will meet the same fate.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought maybe after 11 years of not being used that much could have had an effect. I will check on the relief port (don't know what that is yet though).

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
I thought maybe after 11 years of not being used

Ooooh, the relief port could have been the original problem all along.
If the clutch fluid has not been changed in that time (likely), then the port will plug up.
When that happens, clutch starts out OK, but as the engine warms up, the clutch will start to slip more and more.

Remove clutch master cylinder and at the bottom, you will see two holes. Make sure they are clear.
Now is a good time to flush and replace all fluid in clutch and braking systems.

Post back with any questions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts