Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, can anyone recommend a good electronic version of Service Manual for vn900? There are so many of them out there, some of them must be better then others. And I'm not willing to pay what they charge for a book unless someone can provide compelling reason to...
Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ebay has them. As for a reason to get a real copy, electronic copies violate copyright laws. Or so I hear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I know, that's where it gets confusing. Too many of them on ebay, I was wondering if anyone bought a copy and can recommend it. Copyright laws, hmmm...what am I going to do about it....:)
Thanks for your reply though

·
Registered
231 Posts
Compelling reason: If the FSM saves you one trip to the dealer's serivce department, then it will have paid for itself. You'll also save yourself from the guilt of obtaining a pirated copy that I can see is already starting to eat away at you.

I got a used FSM for my HD for 30-bucks on fleabay...if you keep looking, one will prob turn up - or you can gamble 10 bucks for a p-ware copy. Unless you know a 15-year-old kid who can look for a P2P copy out there in the ether - those are about your only options...

Even at 60-bucks, the FSM is worth the cabbage in my opinion, unless you're going to have the dealer swing wrenches on your bike all the time, or you're not going to be keeping the bike for very long.

FWIT - most of the $6 fleabay electronic manuals looked like junk to me - but they do promise 100% satisfaction - or your money back! (less shipping and hastle I'm sure...)

Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
service manual - electonic version

I bought the $10 electronic version on ebay. The guy sent me a link to download it as well as sent me a CD. It's the full FSM from Kawi. in a fully indexed PDF. I've printed a copy and put it in a 3" binder. Nice since when a section gets oil, grease, etc on it I can reprint it. :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spend thousands on a bike and whine about $60 for the manual. The first time you use it versus going to a stealer it will pay for itself.
No man, it's not the point, I think they charge too much and not willing to pay it in principal. Why is it that I can buy a paperback bestseller for $10-15 and have to pay $60 for the manual. Doesn't make much sense to me. If they sold it for $20-$30 this thread wouldn't have a reason to exist.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
No man, it's not the point, I think they charge too much and not willing to pay it in principal. Why is it that I can buy a paperback bestseller for $10-15 and have to pay $60 for the manual. Doesn't make much sense to me. If they sold it for $20-$30 this thread wouldn't have a reason to exist.
I'll bet you've paid a buck for a 16oz bottle of water that you could have gotten free. That's $8.00 per gallon!
If writers tried to make a living writing "bestsellers" marketed toward the number of people who own Vulcan 900's, while hoping that the same percentage who bought manuals would buy their book, they would probably find another line of work real quick!

·
Registered
179 Posts
There was a thread here about a year ago with a link to a free download site for the Kawi service manual. It's a 2006 manual which is good because there's no change to the bikes since 2006.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There was a thread here about a year ago with a link to a free download site for the Kawi service manual. It's a 2006 manual which is good because there's no change to the bikes since 2006.
Thanks everyone for participating. I ended up buying a pdf on ebay, waiting for CDROM now. I understand the point that even full priced manual is nothing compared to what you save on service and maintenance when you do it yourself, but I feel that the price is just not fare, just as the price of maintenance that a certain dealership charges not fare. I just spent over $100 for oil change (edited to add: they don't even use synthetic oil) and $140 for belt tension adjustment. You can argue that this money spent well and I'll save on future repairs, but I think it's a rip off. They do it because they can just as kawi charges $60 for a book because they can

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Thanks everyone for participating. I ended up buying a pdf on ebay, waiting for CDROM now. I understand the point that even full priced manual is nothing compared to what you save on service and maintenance when you do it yourself, but I feel that the price is just not fare, just as the price of maintenance that a certain dealership charges not fare. I just spent over $100 for oil change (edited to add: they don't even use synthetic oil) and $140 for belt tension adjustment. You can argue that this money spent well and I'll save on future repairs, but I think it's a rip off. They do it because they can just as kawi charges $60 for a book because they can
Glad u made out well with the manual. The 2006 link for the "free" manual no longer exists (copyright infringement). I actually had it bookmarked but lost it when they removed the page (should have saved it)lol. BTW, you don't have to argue your point because some...er...body second guesses your post. Normally that doesn't happen in here, good luck, ride safe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad u made out well with the manual. The 2006 link for the "free" manual no longer exists (copyright infringement). I actually had it bookmarked but lost it when they removed the page (should have saved it)lol. BTW, you don't have to argue your point because some...er...body second guesses your post. Normally that doesn't happen in here, good luck, ride safe.
Thanks, Silenthill! Cool photos, my dream is to one day make a trip to Nova Scotia on my Vulcan. Beautiful place!

·
Registered
941 Posts
I sure am glad that I got my free download before they dropped the link on here. My last two bikes before this I had got the free downloaded manuels. One of them I actually printed the whole thing out and three ring'd it. That was a lot of paper.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I bought a pdf file off ebay for $9, downloaded it to a usb drive and put it on my key ring so i know where it is at all times. When i need to work on my bike, i print off what i need when i need it off that 584 page manual and i'm good to go. works great! My manual will last forever, will that $60 paper back manual? I think not! I'm not trying to sound cheap, i'm just trying to find the better deal so i can have that extra money to throw into the bike on mods that kawi was to cheap to improve on.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Bought my CD Vulcan LT, Classic manual on eBay and love it. I was able to dowload it from the sellers web sight allso. Will work with windows, itouch & iPad. The PDF version is quicker than a book to serarch and find what you are looking for. Print what you want for making a repair.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just downloaded the manual that Bad Juju had a link for. Thanks for the link Juju, 10 bucks and is on my flash drive. Could'nt have been easier.
Thanks,
Traumahawk

·
Registered
231 Posts
I was gonna spare you some water and offer sending you a PDF copy for free. Got it from one of the nice guys here...ya just had to ask and be patient. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
851 Posts
I was gonna spare you some water and offer sending you a PDF copy for free. Got it from one of the nice guys here...ya just had to ask and be patient. Good luck with it!
lol..How do you like that program, working ok for you?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Heck, I'll ask..........and Im patient ! :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts