Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone i will be attempting the install of my tornado and fuel tuner tomorrow and was wondering if the green/blue setting is still best at .5/1. Or has their been any other updates on best setting for just off idle? Also is their any hints or tricks any of u can make me aware of before tackling this? Thank u in advance!

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
I know there are a couple threads on this, by hockeynuts.. may do a search and find it

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
look at post # 27

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi everyone i will be attempting the install of my tornado and fuel tuner tomorrow...
who did you order through? Phatsperformance is at least a month out i got told earlier this week... makes me hulkish

·
BOTM Winner, August 2015
283 Posts
Hi everyone i will be attempting the install of my tornado and fuel tuner tomorrow and was wondering if the green/blue setting is still best at .5/1. Or has their been any other updates on best setting for just off idle? Also is their any hints or tricks any of u can make me aware of before tackling this? Thank u in advance!
The EJK is a simple install - comes with easy to follow instructions. The Green/Blue definitely needs to be set at .5 - 1 to get fuel just off idle. I would run the preset settings for all the others for a bit and see how it runs with them and adjust from there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
.5 / 1 is what ive been hearing so i set it for that when i installed today. I truly love the simplicity of this tuner. I installed it without any major problems just getting the positioning on the clips were tricky cuz i have big hands. But after that downhill. Cant wait to get out and test some settings. Take care all

·
Registered
281 Posts
.5 / 1 is what ive been hearing so i set it for that when i installed today. I truly love the simplicity of this tuner. I installed it without any major problems just getting the positioning on the clips were tricky cuz i have big hands. But after that downhill. Cant wait to get out and test some settings. Take care all
Take look at my thread "Here is the skinny on the EJK" I shared some of my findings while working with Dobeck on the popping issue. I have final settings that were amazing this past Saturday. It was hot as hell and the bike barely popped at all. In the end I figured out on my own. I am rethinking the .5 setting on green / blue and think it is actually causing more issues than clearing them. When you see a visual of the fuel curve and you can see what the settings effect and when it becomes clear. I am doing a dyno run on Saturday so I can see if I am in the ball park for AFRs. The settings I have up in the thread may be alittle agressive for you because you have a 1700 classic, which is tuned a little more mild from factory than my Vaquero or the Nomad and Voyager.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I have always thought the .5-1 on the blue green was low, but so many claim its best for the. Mine is at 4.0 and seems best for me. I get a rare pop, but its very rare. I do have the stock air kit by Thunder and drilled baffles in stock pipes on my 12 Voyager. Bike runs smooth and pulls from about 12-1300 on up.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have always thought the .5-1 on the blue green was low, but so many claim its best for the. Mine is at 4.0 and seems best for me. I get a rare pop, but its very rare. I do have the stock air kit by Thunder and drilled baffles in stock pipes on my 12 Voyager. Bike runs smooth and pulls from about 12-1300 on up.
I always wondered from day 1 why Dobeck sent the EJK with the base setting of 6 on GB. Especially since every thread I read was that they were way off and it should be .5 or 1.

When you see the Graphic in Power Lab which is the RPM vs. LOAD fuel curve and knowing what he bike does at just under 2100 rpm when the injectors kick back on at closed throttle, it makes perfect sense. It also makes major sense when you compare a PCV map and look at the percentage of fuel added at diffent throttle positions, which represent cruise fuel, acceleration and WOT. The PCV does not add any significant amount of fuel that low to idle RPM. In fact if you see when they tell you to add fuel to the 0% throttle column, they always say to do so from about 1750 rpm on up to tune out decel pop, not from idle (850 - 950 rpm) on up. I really believe now that the .5 setting added to the pipe farts and pops on decel at 2100 rpm by creating a rich environment off idle and fuel could not be burned completely in the chamber then BANG right into the hot exhaust.

I still get an ocassional pop, but nowhere near what I was getting a week or two ago. I would say about 99% gone.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Im sorry i didnt know if it was different now that he was working with ejk.
I am sticking with the settings I posted on my other thread. I should know this Saturday whatmy AFR readings look like to get a better idea how the bike is performing.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
look forward to hearing how it went

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok thanks. I hear ya ii got caught in a nasty storm last year on the turnpike.. btw do you know if the vaquero is made to be more aggressive than the classic. I remember hearing that the other versions of the 1700 were made more for touring and that the classic was more aggressive in gearing and tuning. Thanks again

1 - 20 of 58 Posts