Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
  • The greed of corporations is reaching into every crevice known to consumers.
  • The great resource known as MANUALSLIB.COM no longer has access to service manuals for Honda, Kawasaki, or Yamaha Powersports. The manuals were removed due to copyright complaints by the big 3.
  • Suzuki, however, seems content to supply those consumers and customers, who so desire, to work on their own equipment with the correct information. Apparently, they get enough service work at the dealerships to not have to worry about the low cost of a manual. Manuals, BTW, are one of the highest markup items you can buy for your vehicle.
  • With this sad event having taken place, it will be necessary for us, the consumers, to be even more supportive of each other in the sharing of information. It seems that snail mail will be the returning wave of the future. US mail is still protected by anti-surveillance and seizure laws in the US.
  • If anyone is willing and can share, please do
That's hard to believe they would not be able to supply us, consumers, with info on our machines, but...at the same time, I can believe it. I haven't been on the website in a couple of months now but the last time I was on there, there were lots of manual info!! I'll have to get on there again and see for myself! I am glad that I downloaded the info for my bike when I did though!! Lol.

· Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
is it to add to the profits of service jobs? When a customer brings in a bike/car and it needs parts, are inflated part prices just to ballon the bill that much higher?
The dealership will tell you that OEM parts come with a guarantee or limited warranty. And that is true. But it's a "feel good" sense they're selling to you. Modern parts rarely fail and there's the hitch for the dealer. If your one of the unlucky ones who needs an uncommon fail component or a proprietary component (ECU) then you pay out of your grandchildren's savings. Maintenance parts are not as expensive nowadays because people can compare price on line.
Here's what will happen: You can buy OEM parts on line cheaper, then take them to the branded dealer and request to have them installed and they will say "no".
Like I said before, service departments carry a dealership. Why don't places like Midas, Instant oil change, NTB sell cars? because that isn't where the money is.
So this brings me back to the point of low paid techs. The people who build auto-machines make more money than the people who keep the brand on the road. Why is that? The people who engineer the mistakes in vehicles make more than the people who figure it out and fix it. Why is that? Build and replace when broken. Nobody wants to pay the labor costs to repair. So if you can't afford a new vehicle and your older vehicle breaks down where does that leave you. Probably financing a new car or a used one at much higher interest rates.
It all points to the money grab going on. The wealthy want one more dollar.
Have an accident in your car and the insurance company doesn't want to buy OEM parts or have it repaired at the dealership. They have people that they "rely on" to do their work.
As a consumer you only matter when making the original purchase. After you leave with the product you drop to the bottom of the list. And the lower your economic status the lower you are on the list. Greed isn't good

· Premium Member
2003 800 Classic
303 Posts
I don't understand the absolute refusal to buy factory service manuals from the copyright holder.....

It's $100 to help DIYers maintain their multi $1000 machines....

Have I used free online downloads? Sure

Have I gotten actual hard copies of those manuals for both my Kawi's and the Honda project bike? Yep, sure have....

It seems short-sighted and absurd to bemoan the copyright holders paying attention and demanding free online download sites cease & desist...

Not necessarily a popular opinion, but it's mine....
While I'm an old school guy, paper maps, paper manuals, knowing how to shoot an azmuth, I do agree it's nice to flip out yer fone n look up how to repair some issue. Opine's are a dime a kilo and all have one... that said I bought online a factory manual for my 800 classic and twas a complete letdown. No in depth info on many repairs a scant on the rest. My Clymers was much more informative But did'nt have info on the valve adjust...🙄

· Registered
2012 Nomad
1,893 Posts
The dealership will tell you that OEM parts come with a guarantee or limited warranty. And that is true. But it's a "feel good" sense they're selling to you. Modern parts rarely fail and there's the hitch for the dealer. If your one of the unlucky ones who needs an uncommon fail component or a proprietary component (ECU) then you pay out of your grandchildren's savings. Maintenance parts are not as expensive nowadays because people can compare price on line.
Here's what will happen: You can buy OEM parts on line cheaper, then take them to the branded dealer and request to have them installed and they will say "no".
Like I said before, service departments carry a dealership. Why don't places like Midas, Instant oil change, NTB sell cars? because that isn't where the money is.
So this brings me back to the point of low paid techs. The people who build auto-machines make more money than the people who keep the brand on the road. Why is that? The people who engineer the mistakes in vehicles make more than the people who figure it out and fix it. Why is that? Build and replace when broken. Nobody wants to pay the labor costs to repair. So if you can't afford a new vehicle and your older vehicle breaks down where does that leave you. Probably financing a new car or a used one at much higher interest rates.
It all points to the money grab going on. The wealthy want one more dollar.
Have an accident in your car and the insurance company doesn't want to buy OEM parts or have it repaired at the dealership. They have people that they "rely on" to do their work.
As a consumer you only matter when making the original purchase. After you leave with the product you drop to the bottom of the list. And the lower your economic status the lower you are on the list. Greed isn't good
I completely agree. Greed rules the world in every aspect.
Unfortunately the US leads the way.
I'm sure most of you here will not like to hear the truth. The truth is capitalism breeds greed. Everybody wants to get rich quick

· Registered
4,011 Posts
Businesses have to profit to stay in business.

What is scary is some like to decide what profit is too much for others and battle cry "greed", whilst seeking to maximize their own profits.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts