Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During my debacle of disconnecting my throttle position sensor I found the following info that may be useful

How To Read Service Codes:

Turn on ignition.
Push the upper meter button to display the odometer.
Push the upper meter button and left meter button for more than 2 seconds.
The service code is displayed on the LCD instead of odometer. Multiple codes will be displayed in a sequence with the interval of 2 seconds.
Turn on/turn off the ignition to return the display to the normal operation mode.

How To Erase Service Codes:

Turn on the ignition and start the engine.
Keep the idling more than 30 seconds.
Run the bike for more than 5 minutes at a speed of 25 mph or more.
Stop. Turn the ignition switch off.
Repeat the above procedures 3 times.

Service Codes:

11 Main throttle sensor malfunction, wiring open or short.
12 Intake air pressure sensor malfunction, wiring open or short.
13 Intake air temperature sensor malfunction, wiring open or short.
14 Water temperature sensor malfunction, wiring open or short.
21 Crankshaft sensor malfunction, wiring open or short
24 Rear wheel rotation sensor malfunction, wiring open or short.
25 Gear position sensor malfunction, wiring open or short.
31 Vehicle-down sensor malfunction, wiring open or short.
32 Sub throttle sensor malfunction, wiring open or short.
33 Oxygen sensor malfunction or Inactivate, wiring open or short.
39 ECU communication error
41 Fuel injector #1 malfunction, wiring open or short.
42 Fuel injector #2 malfunction, wiring open or short.
51 Stick coil #1 malfunction, wiring open or short.
52 Stick coil #2 malfunction, wiring open or short.
56 Radiator fan relay malfunction, wiring open or short.
62 Subthrottle valve actuator malfunction, wiring open or short.
64 Air switching valve malfunction, wiring open or short.
67 Oxygen sensor heater malfunction, wiring open or short.
94 Fuel supply system malfunction
3A Purge valve malfunction, wiring open or short (Equipped Models).

·
Registered
2 Posts
1st of all thank you -bearslayer- for this post!!!
2nd, I tried to display the code on my Vulcan and it didn't work first but after turning the engine on and pressing and holding only left button instead of both I got the lovely code 67 lol.

·
Premium Member
12,011 Posts
@Daniel DC
Welcome to the forums!

Please fill in your profile to include your bike/location info and that
is easier using a PC vs the app. This will help others answer questions you may ask knowing what year and model bike you have.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
1st of all thank you -bearslayer- for this post!!!
2nd, I tried to display the code on my Vulcan and it didn't work first but after turning the engine on and pressing and holding only left button instead of both I got the lovely code 67 lol.
It's usually pretty easy to find the Kawasaki service manuals (SM) online. I suggest poking around to find one so you have it on hand in the future. All that sort of stuff and more will be in the SM.

·
Registered
254 Posts
This 1's for you,BEAR SLAYER-You seem like a somewhat knowledgeable guy(?) I understand the Vulcan 650 s trans is seperate from the engine/If that is The case,HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN YOUR FINAL SHAFT DRIVE BEARING IS GOING OUT? I've heard some people say that their 650 Vulcans *HUM FROM THE CHAIN WHEN ON THE HIGHWAY\You think I'm being Paranoid?/I swear the bike STILL has Enough Power to do Over 100 MPH-EVEN w/ almost 29000 Miles on it; I can't Help but to run it up to 70 mph&Over,the rush hour traffic on I-95 here in South Florida DOES'NT Leave one Much Choice! I used to run it up & over 100 mph once a month to CLEAN HER LUNGS OUT' ,Now I'm a little cautious/scared to: Chain& Sprockets Were [email protected] miles w/ JT Sprockets & R K O- Ring chain,&No I did'nt change front or rear sprocket sizes....ANY THOUGHTS FROM ANYONE OUT THERE,PLEASE Just trying to Avoid any kind of LOCK UP And/or Damage to bike-THANKS FOR LISTENING COMMUNITY/&NO I'm Not trying to out do anyone on a Vulcan s Mileage-It's my Main & Only Mode of Transportation.......:) 2017 650 Vulcan s

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This 1's for you,BEAR SLAYER-You seem like a somewhat knowledgeable guy(?) I understand the Vulcan 650 s trans is seperate from the engine/If that is The case,HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN YOUR FINAL SHAFT DRIVE BEARING IS GOING OUT? I've heard some people say that their 650 Vulcans *HUM FROM THE CHAIN WHEN ON THE HIGHWAY\You think I'm being Paranoid?/I swear the bike STILL has Enough Power to do Over 100 MPH-EVEN w/ almost 29000 Miles on it; I can't Help but to run it up to 70 mph&Over,the rush hour traffic on I-95 here in South Florida DOES'NT Leave one Much Choice! I used to run it up & over 100 mph once a month to CLEAN HER LUNGS OUT' ,Now I'm a little cautious/scared to: Chain& Sprockets Were [email protected] miles w/ JT Sprockets & R K O- Ring chain,&No I did'nt change front or rear sprocket sizes....ANY THOUGHTS FROM ANYONE OUT THERE,PLEASE Just trying to Avoid any kind of LOCK UP And/or Damage to bike-THANKS FOR LISTENING COMMUNITY/&NO I'm Not trying to out do anyone on a Vulcan s Mileage-It's my Main & Only Mode of Transportation.......:) 2017 650 Vulcan s
I would pull the chain and sprocket and check for play and smoothness. This would let you check the seal also.

·
Registered
2019 Vulcan S Cafe edition
44 Posts
Firstly Bearslayer thanks for posting the service codes.
Ihave posted about fitting my Ixil complete exhaust system,removed original system with no problems.
The Ixil system is an expensive one in the U.K. I think they are £900. I found a new unused one on eBay for £450,fitted well without any problems.
Only one was the engine light stayed on.
With your great post of the codes up came 67 Oxygen sensor.
I followed your tutorial to the letter doing 200 kms with a close watch on the odometer and speed.Sadly she is still showing the engine symbol.
Would disconnecting the battery for say 24hrs and then doing the ride and following the same rules work maybe or would you kindly know any other options.
Is the oxygen sensor another name for the lambda sensor as that was of course removed and refitted to the new system.
I would be extremely grateful if you have any other ideas.
Many thanks,Brian.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Firstly Bearslayer thanks for posting the service codes.
Ihave posted about fitting my Ixil complete exhaust system,removed original system with no problems.
The Ixil system is an expensive one in the U.K. I think they are £900. I found a new unused one on eBay for £450,fitted well without any problems.
Only one was the engine light stayed on.
With your great post of the codes up came 67 Oxygen sensor.
I followed your tutorial to the letter doing 200 kms with a close watch on the odometer and speed.Sadly she is still showing the engine symbol.
Would disconnecting the battery for say 24hrs and then doing the ride and following the same rules work maybe or would you kindly know any other options.
Is the oxygen sensor another name for the lambda sensor as that was of course removed and refitted to the new system.
I would be extremely grateful if you have any other ideas.
Many thanks,Brian.
When i took my '17 vulcan s in to get the o2sensor replaced,the dealership had to download an upgrade from their Kawasaki computer system in order to get the code cleared;Also,if you'll [email protected] forum,There's a gentlemen in our forum group that sells an o2 sensor eliminator chip to plug into your bike-GOOD LUCK&I HOPE YOU GET YOUR RIDE FIXED:) Ride Safe&Keep the rubber on the Road:)

·
Registered
2018 Vulcan S ABS SE
3 Posts
Hey all,

I just installed the CS Racing exhaust on my bike, and it went pretty well. I powered the bike on after cleaning up, and swiftly realized I had not plugged in the O2 sensor. I turned off the bike, and plugged it back in.
Shortly after, I went on my test drive and noticed the engine light on. When I looked at the engine code, sure enough, 67 O2 heater.
Is it likely that this is a remnant of my start up without the O2 sensor, or do I need to be worried about my O2 sensor?
Any ideas?

·
Registered
2019 Vulcan S Cafe edition
44 Posts
Hey all,

I just installed the CS Racing exhaust on my bike, and it went pretty well. I powered the bike on after cleaning up, and swiftly realized I had not plugged in the O2 sensor. I turned off the bike, and plugged it back in.
Shortly after, I went on my test drive and noticed the engine light on. When I looked at the engine code, sure enough, 67 O2 heater.
Is it likely that this is a remnant of my start up without the O2 sensor, or do I need to be worried about my O2 sensor?
Any ideas?
I had exactly the same problem when I fitted my Ixil complete system.
I tried the recommended way of removing the light being on.The instructions are in the forum.
Did it exactly as instructed. Several goes and it remained on.
I have now ordered an eliminator which I think was around £20 ,simple plug in to the O2 sensor attachment and a bolt to replace the removed sensor.
Havent got it yet due to lockdown,hopefully soon.
Incidentally tried disconnecting the battery for a while but the light remains on.
Good luck with resolving it,I also read some dealers have just connected to a laptop and removed the light being on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all,

Any ideas?
I had a similar problem. Went to a mechanic and got rid off or by resetting the computer.
In my case it came back on and I had to replace O2 sensor but most of the time that's not necessary. Ride it and after a while or should be ok.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcan S ABS SE
3 Posts
So update from me, it turned out after my first ride I also hadn’t tightened the 92 sensor all the way, so I did that last night before bed. Today I’ve driven about three trips (to coffee shop, work, back home) and on my last trip the light turned off, and it looks like everything is good now.
Thanks for the help/feedback!

·
Registered
2018 Vulcan S ABS SE
3 Posts
So update from me, it turned out after my first ride I also hadn’t tightened the 92 sensor all the way, so I did that last night before bed. Today I’ve driven about three trips (to coffee shop, work, back home) and on my last trip the light turned off, and it looks like everything is good now.
Thanks for the help/feedback!
*O2 sensor

·
Registered
Vulcan S Café 2017
40 Posts
What is the "upper meter button"? I only have left and right button on each side of the LCD. I don't have any error lights, just wanted to check for error codes. I guess if you have an error you get a warning light and then you can read the codes after that using this procedure?

·
Registered
75 Posts
@Frittson
There's a "mode" button and "select" button. Well, they're called different things in different countries.

One button changes from the odometer -> trip1 -> trip2 , etc. Press that one until it's at ODO. Then press and hold both of them for at least two seconds. Then the codes will show up on the dash. If there is more than one they will flash and cycle.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts