Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had and oil change yesterday... It was fine the whole day which was about 3 hours of running... Then stopped at a 711 store just to have coffee... Then I started it up again, the CHECK ENGINE stayed ON.... Checked on how to get the service code... Thank you Bearslayer!!! Service code 21 Crankshaft sensor malfunction, wiring open or short.... How do I resolve this next??? Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had and oil change yesterday... It was fine the whole day which was about 3 hours of running... Then stopped at a 711 store just to have coffee... Then I started it up again, the CHECK ENGINE stayed ON.... Checked on how to get the service code... Thank you Bearslayer!!! Service code 21 Crankshaft sensor malfunction, wiring open or short.... How do I resolve this next??? Thanks in advance!!!
I have the same issue last november and I went to the dealer to fix. I think they just reset the error and told me to observe. The error code showed up again today. I'm not sure what triggered this issue. I hope someone can heko us remediate this on our own aside from just resetting the errof code.

·
Super Moderator
5,558 Posts
Bubblemaster and RzythuM. Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. Happy to see you both decided to join us. On page 584 section 16 page 38 of the factory repair manual it shows how to check the crankshaft sensor. If the light keeps coming back on there is an issue and just resetting the light is a bandaid. Do you have a factory repair manual? You will need a multi meter. Doesn’t have to be an expensive one. Let me know. Thanks again for becoming a member of the forum. Be well and Ride Safely.

·
Registered
'05 800B
2,224 Posts
are you using a Fram oil filter?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Same problem here. Error code 21 just popped up. KVS starts and runs without any problem though— so far.

Where is the crankshaft position sensor wiring location? Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bubblemaster and RzythuM. Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. Happy to see you both decided to join us. On page 584 section 16 page 38 of the factory repair manual it shows how to check the crankshaft sensor. If the light keeps coming back on there is an issue and just resetting the light is a bandaid. Do you have a factory repair manual? You will need a multi meter. Doesn’t have to be an expensive one. Let me know. Thanks again for becoming a member of the forum. Be well and Ride Safely.
I have a service manual but doesn't have a multi meter. I will try borrowing from friends.

To give you an update, I went for a ride today with my VS for 113 miles and the check engine light is not lighting up anymore. Someone from our group also have experience the same.

·
Super Moderator
5,558 Posts
When all modern motorcycles have the ignition key turned on, they go through a system check. This check has reset the check engine light system. If it doesn’t come back on, then all is good. Happens in cars also, mainly from loose fuel caps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a service manual but doesn't have a multi meter. I will try borrowing from friends.

To give you an update, I went for a ride today with my VS for 113 miles and the check engine light is not lighting up anymore. Someone from our group also have experience the same.
I have read somewhere that error codes can be erased by riding the bike at 25mph for at least 5 minutes (doing it 3 times in succession and turning off the ignition in between).

I am looking at using an OBD2 scanner to erase the error but I can’t find a suitable diagnostic adapter cable (6-Pin?).

·
Registered
93 Posts
Rode my Vulcan today.

More than 5 minutes at 40kph+. Stop. Turn ignition off then on again. Did this 3 times in succesion and the Check Engine light is now gone!
I can appreciate all of your suggestions/but-has any 1 out there actually had to have their crankshaft sensor changed?:unsure::cautious:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts