Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
11,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
takes a while to get to it in the vid. The following caption accompanies the video:

"The good news is that the motorcyclist didn't suffer any serious injuries. The bad news is that the driver was the one found guilty after rear ending the motorcycle, who appeared to be totally at fault!"

LINK TO VIDEO

·
Registered
372 Posts
First impression: There are several wows in that video. First is What was that biker thinking. He deliberately caused that crash when he hit the brakes. It was like his first objective was to annoy the driver. However, the driver should not be let off the hook either. He could have backed off when the biker pulled into his lane. He didn't need to express his annoyance by riding right on the tail of the biker. The worst was when he got out of his car. There is the biker laying on the road, barely moving, and the first thing he does is check out the damage on his car before sauntering over to check on the biker.

I have now viewed the video several times. I don't think the biker hit the brakes. I think the driver sped up and ran him down.

·
Administrator
11,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are right, it is hard to tell if brakes were applied by the taillight but it appears the bike does drastically decelerate and the nose of the bike drop a little?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I watched it over and over, there is a shorter version available. I could not decide if the nose was tipping down or it was the change of perspective from the car running up on him. All I had left was the lack of a brake light.

·
Registered
357 Posts
although it does look like the biker decelerates? nose dip but no brake, rolls off the throttle a little...

maybe both were involved before the video and now again as another occurrence.

tried counting the markers and lines but did not see a change for the driver except when he slowed down.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
I think there is more to this than we see.
In my opinion the biker paseed the car and made a gesture, maybe the biker wanted the left lane for himself as the driver of the car was doing. That led me to believe there may have been some back and forth not on video. (road rage) The right lane appears to be completely open... I think the car driver did speed up and the biker did slow down. Another duel between a bike and a car.... car driver (in Texas) would be at fault for not maintaining a safe distance and being able to stop, but the video might affect the amount of the fine though...

·
Registered
372 Posts
At the speeds they were going, that truck was approaching fairly quickly, so the biker may have been getting into the left lane well in advance of the trucker. It did not occur to me the biker and driver might already have some history.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I think there's information to be gained from paying attention to the traffic ahead of them both.

The video starts with the car close on the tail of a white car.
You can tell they are both accelerating and they start passing everything on the road.
The white car pulls a pretty good distance ahead.
A few seconds before the motorcycle comes into frame the car starts catching up to the white car, and right before we see the motorcycle we can make out a truck going quite a bit slower in the right lane.
The motorcycle comes into frame and pretty quickly moves into the left lane.
At this point we are no longer gaining on the white car.

My take is the two cars were together, filming themselves driving at excessive speeds.
The motorcycle has to be going pretty quick to pass the filming car and needs to get out of the right lane to avoid the truck.
At this point though the white car has slowed down, so the motorcycle matches the speed of the traffic ahead of him, slowing down in front of the car he just passed.
Not a polite thing to do, but if he is going the speed of the car ahead of him, it's not a total jerk move either.
I think he is genuinely surprised by the drivers reaction of trying to pass on the left, this results in an initial slow down.
Poor reaction for a motorcyclist.
Then he speeds up getting some room between them; but then puts his safety back into the drivers hands by slowing to his desired speed again.
I think the nose dip is just the bike adjusting to him letting off the throttle.
I think the car hit the gas when the bike accelerated and only slowed a minimal amount when the bike didn't hold that speed.

The driver of the car should do jail time.

Scott

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Just to stir the pot

The driver was clipping past those red-stripped sidemarkers just a hair faster than every two seconds. When biker cut him off he was forced to slow down and that time increased to 3 seconds. Also, the nose of the car dips and pulls left abruptly as the biker pulls in front of him.

I'm not a video analyst or anything and I was counting off one-potato-two-potato so who knows. The guy in the car should certainly have given the bike more room when he started acting weird, that's for sure.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Wonder if they have laws there like we have here in MO; if you rear end them, you're almost always at fault. No excuse for not keeping a good following distance.

The biker was an idiot. He was riding like an idiot, slowing down. But the driver of the car wasn't making any effort to back off either. I'm not totally convinced the car wasn't speeding up either.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I had the same thought about previous altercations. this only shows them at one point. It almost looks as if the motorcycle recognizes the car and then the situation ensues.

here in PA the car would be at fault....however having the video may prove otherwise. just depends on who can prove the best case if it went to court.

I agree with Romans, both are at fault. I if I were their insurance companies I'd use the tape as proof on NOT paying them for damages. they have better lawyers anyway :p

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
The biker cut in front of the wrong guy. The cager was not going to back off. He hit the gas and the rest is history.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I think there's information to be gained from paying attention to the traffic ahead of them both.

The video starts with the car close on the tail of a white car.
You can tell they are both accelerating and they start passing everything on the road.
The white car pulls a pretty good distance ahead.
A few seconds before the motorcycle comes into frame the car starts catching up to the white car, and right before we see the motorcycle we can make out a truck going quite a bit slower in the right lane.
The motorcycle comes into frame and pretty quickly moves into the left lane.
At this point we are no longer gaining on the white car.

My take is the two cars were together, filming themselves driving at excessive speeds.
The motorcycle has to be going pretty quick to pass the filming car and needs to get out of the right lane to avoid the truck.
At this point though the white car has slowed down, so the motorcycle matches the speed of the traffic ahead of him, slowing down in front of the car he just passed.
Not a polite thing to do, but if he is going the speed of the car ahead of him, it's not a total jerk move either.
I think he is genuinely surprised by the drivers reaction of trying to pass on the left, this results in an initial slow down.
Poor reaction for a motorcyclist.
Then he speeds up getting some room between them; but then puts his safety back into the drivers hands by slowing to his desired speed again.
I think the nose dip is just the bike adjusting to him letting off the throttle.
I think the car hit the gas when the bike accelerated and only slowed a minimal amount when the bike didn't hold that speed.

The driver of the car should do jail time.

Scott
It just shows what happens when two crazy idiots happen upon each other. They should BOTH do jail time.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Didn't watch the video and not going to. Regardless of the rest, if you hit someone from the rear it's virtually always going to be your fault.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I think these 2 guys got into a pissing match over the left lane, the bike has a aftermarket tail kit with little red led lights, I think they glow red as he hit the brakes in front of the car, personally would bang both their heads together, that way you would get the one that started it all.

You tend to get what you give in life

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think it's because the sun is shining on the back of the bike that the brake light isn't that obvious. I slowed it down and the guy on the bike does dan on the front clamp.

At the end of the day why put yourself in that situation. Not worth the risk

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I did end up watching the video...the guy on the bike is a dumb a$$.

Reminds me of people who pass you doing 10 or 20 over then cut over and jam on the brakes to take the exit ramp.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I think it's because the sun is shining on the back of the bike that the brake light isn't that obvious.

At the end of the day why put yourself in that situation. Not worth the risk
The guy has removed the brake light altogether and installed 3 small led bulbs on either side for turn signals and a bunch of small led's for a brake light, regardless, as stated, put yourself in that position, stuff is gonna happen.

Neither gave an inch, one paid with the crash, the other with a ticket...... just dumb.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Whether the bike hit the brakes or not, he had the ability to accelerate faster than the car. The driver of the car certainly isn't without fault due to the obvious excessive speed. When I'm riding, I just assume everyone is out to kill me and do my very best to pass quickly allowing as much room as possible, and never look back just to see how close I am!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts