Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ridden at demo days the Victory Cross Country and HD Street Glide. I only test road a Vaquero about 5 miles, the other two bikes closer to 15 in mixed settings / speeds.

I could enjoy owning any of these bikes, all have plus and minus's that I can live with. The one plus the HD has in my opinion is the unlimited supply or parts available...Vaquero fairly limited, and seem expensive. One thing I was excited about with the Vaquero was having XM on a bike, then realized it was going to cost me about 450 bones for the pleasure.... really???? Anyone seeing this cheaper anywhere? $400 GPS Mounts, $450 XM, $500 backrest....c'mon man.

With Vaquero I like the pros.... a beautiful bike that doesn't look like every other street glide on the road, and I can get a new one for 7-8k less than a new street glide. Pretty significant pro since I consider the Kaw to be of at least as good a bike, if not better than.

How do you all like the side open bags? This seems very awkward to me as far as loading / accessibility.

Some of the heat concerns I have read bother me to especially since one of it's bragging rights is being water cooled.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I compare the Vaquero more to the road glide than the street glide or Cross Country. If you have ever ridden in winds you will appreciate having a frame mounted fairing. This is also true if you ride the twisties.

You can negotiate the price of Kawasaki Accessories at the time of purchase. Typical is 20% off for a year, but if you buy at time of purchase you might be able to haggle 30% off.

I really like the Vaquero, but need the trunk so I won't be trading in the Voyager. I am thinking about a Nomad for the hot summers here in the south though.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Havent seen a $400 GPS mount yet. $240ish is closer to what is easily found. Although I think that's too much too, lol. Does HD offer this as a free option? Not sure. The Kawi backrest is def ridiculously priced. Aftermarket is about 1/2 though. I'm sure the HD backrest isnt cheap either.
And for the $4-$5k cheaper purchase price over the HD, a few options here and there even at higher prices are worth it. I don't want XM radio and so I'm glad it's not included with the bike because the price would be higher. Cheaper to purchase the Vaquero and add accessories as you go, so for me its a no brainer.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I bought my Vaquero after labor day and love it. The Cross Country was my 1st choice but when I saw the Vaquero for $12450.00 the high priced options did not seem that bad. The Cross Country the only deal I found was $1000.00 off 18,999 so the money saved to me was well worth it. It hard for me to spend 18k + tax for a motorcycle. Is the Vaquero perfect, maybe not but for me I find it fine as long as you get the taller windshield. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have the fat sister, Voyager, and I can tell you these bikes are a sweet ride. I need a trunk, reason for going with Voyager.

sent from mobile device.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I bought my Vaquero after labor day and love it. The Cross Country was my 1st choice but when I saw the Vaquero for $12450.00 the high priced options did not seem that bad. The Cross Country the only deal I found was $1000.00 off 18,999 so the money saved to me was well worth it. It hard for me to spend 18k + tax for a motorcycle. Is the Vaquero perfect, maybe not but for me I find it fine as long as you get the taller windshield. Hope this helps.
Me too..... Sat on the Cross Country and thought about it for a while, but the price difference was the main deciding factor for me. I had two Kawi's before this one and they haven't let me down yet.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
well is it the foots or is it the boyz,, which ones can you sacrifice more?

Some of the heat concerns I have read bother me to especially since one of it's bragging rights is being water cooled.
toys, water cooling is for the motor.. not you.. actually its is more like yor own personal heater.. comes in handy when its kold out. but all these bikes make a lot of heat and the water cooling is just more better way of getting it off the motor... and on to you... or not.
my air cooled hardley 'lectra is just as hot as them kaws.. 'cept the heat instead of being rejected at your feet is coming off right at your boyz! talk 'bout uncomfortable. youda wish you had that radiator. ponchout

·
Registered
558 Posts
I rode the same bikes before buying the classic. The fairings were cool and I liked the Street Glide the best. It was the 103 version before they made the 103 the standard. I didn't like the fact that it shook like crazy at any speed below about 15. I came to the decision that I didn't want the bulk of a fairing and had no need for a radio. I found an 09 1700 classic leftover and bought in the 9K range. Regardless of what bike you get you'll be modifying it which costs money. They wanted over 25K after all was said and done for the Street Glide. Let's see 9K or 25K... I'll live with the plastic on my Vulcan for that price difference. I've put a windshield, lowers, crash bars, mustang seat, backrest, grips, so far and now it's time for motor mods. I can mod this thing all day long and never get close to the 25K debt I would be in for a bone stock 103 glide.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well everyone, I pulled the trigger on a red Vaquero. Been "pricing" for awhile now and came across a deal for 11k (plus state sales tax) when the best I had seen before was about 12k.... that was it, pushed me over the edge.

Can't wait until next week when pick it up, especially since running out of riding time in northern Indiana :(

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Well everyone, I pulled the trigger on a red Vaquero. Been "pricing" for awhile now and came across a deal for 11k (plus state sales tax) when the best I had seen before was about 12k.... that was it, pushed me over the edge.

Can't wait until next week when pick it up, especially since running out of riding time in northern Indiana :(
WOW! That is a great deal! Enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
77 Posts
GPS Mount

I have a 09 VV and love it. I have a ram mount for my GPS that mounts to the Handlebars between the clamps and it works great also I have a Garmin 2370, but they make brackets to fit all the new GPS,s.

Enjoy the Ride

John

·
Registered
434 Posts
Congrats, I too have the red one. Looks like the time to buy is the end of the year, I have been seeing some good deals like yours. Wished I would have waited a couple of more months, mine was 13,600.00 drive out. Already put 1500 miles just messing around town in 2 months. The more I ride it the better I like it. The 12" windshield makes it where I can hear the music at highway speeds. I may get the 16" next I got so used to having one on my 900lt, it was brutal for me with the little wind deflector having to wear ear plugs because it was so noisy in my helmet and I could not hear the music. Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rusty, how tall are you. I am 6', and when I test rode a Vaquero, I felt that if I lowered my head a couple inches it was no buffeting. I love love love the look of the shorty shield, and hope o stay as close to that as possible.

Been thinking about trying the 6.5 that switches to 9.5 by flopping the extra shield part if I really need to make a change. Have you seen those? Was thinking can keep shorter until take a highway trip, then swivel it up for extra protection

I leave in the morning to go pick it up... Can't wait!

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Rusty, how tall are you. I am 6', and when I test rode a Vaquero, I felt that if I lowered my head a couple inches it was no buffeting. I love love love the look of the shorty shield, and hope o stay as close to that as possible.

Been thinking about trying the 6.5 that switches to 9.5 by flopping the extra shield part if I really need to make a change. Have you seen those? Was thinking can keep shorter until take a highway trip, then swivel it up for extra protection

I leave in the morning to go pick it up... Can't wait!
Rifle does make a shield in any size you want and you can get it dark tint as well.

·
Registered
414 Posts
i'm 6'-1" and my 11" cee baileys shield is perfect for me.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm 5'9" and my 9" Cee Baileys was perfect until I got a Kawasaki Gel Tour Seat. Seems like that seat sits a couple inches higher so I'm getting more wind. Might have to go up to an 11" but waiting to see how/if the seat breaks in.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I'm 5'9" and my 9" Cee Baileys was perfect until I got a Kawasaki Gel Tour Seat. Seems like that seat sits a couple inches higher so I'm getting more wind. Might have to go up to an 11" but waiting to see how/if the seat breaks in.
I have at least 6000 miles on my gel seat and it still sits higher than the stock seat. The stock seat is very soft foam and you sink in over the course of a ride. The gel sinks some during a ride but not much. At least with the gel I am not sitting on the pan 4 hours into the ride.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts