Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i called up my dealer i got my bike from, apparently they are the only people i can find where i live who can service my bike. Their is however a harley dealership, but i called and asked them and they said "We have the equipment to service a rice rocket, but we won't service anything thats not a harley"... So i called my dealer back and asked for a 3k Mile oil change and check up.. he quoted me $200 in Labor + Parts + Oil and Filter.. Does this sound right?

·
Registered
126 Posts
So i called up my dealer i got my bike from, apparently they are the only people i can find where i live who can service my bike. Their is however a harley dealership, but i called and asked them and they said "We have the equipment to service a rice rocket, but we won't service anything thats not a harley"... So i called my dealer back and asked for a 3k Mile oil change and check up.. he quoted me $200 in Labor + Parts + Oil and Filter.. Does this sound right?
NO! Not at all...ask him their "minor service" hourly rate - that should be no more than a 1 hour service. If all you are doing is an oil change it is usually pretty simple (I used to own an R1)....take of the proper fairing - filter and drain plug should be fairly simple to get to. Do you have a rear wheel stand?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NO! Not at all...ask him their "minor service" hourly rate - that should be no more than a 1 hour service. If all you are doing is an oil change it is usually pretty simple (I used to own an R1)....take of the proper fairing - filter and drain plug should be fairly simple to get to. Do you have a rear wheel stand?
Yeah i figured that was way to much, I'm going to talk with my mechanic at my work and see if he can do it. He's the type of guy thats like "I'll service the bike if i can take it for a test ride when i'm done" he's a good guy, ASE Certified for both automotive and motorcycle.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My 600mi (1000km) first service cost me around $300. I wasn't expecting it to be that much. I'm not sure what they'll want for just an oil change, but I won't be finding out as I'll do it myself.

·
Registered
126 Posts
These bikes are alot like good foriegn autos - keep fluids changed in them and you should be good to go!

At first service "the book" says to adjust the valves on some models, change the oil (to remove all those microscopic shavings of metal from the new engine), tighten/adjust chain/belt, etc.

Code for: change the oil

·
Registered
273 Posts
i just did mine in my garage yesterday and it took me all of about a half hour and that was with me takin my time and unloadin groceries from the car in the middle lol.

·
Registered
900 Posts
My dealer told me $169.95 after I got it done.......grrrr. I complained, they knocked it down some. So today I got a low oil drain pan with a spout for dumping the oil. A sealable funnel to fill with. I orderd an aftermarket filter for $2.34 instead of $16.95. Im going to run Shell Rotella T 15w40 which has the correct JASO MA rating that the manual calls for. $17.00 my cost for a 5 liter jug instead of $40.00 and my own labor in my own shop. So I figure I can save about $149.00 which buys me about 134 liters of fuel at local prices today which should take me quite a bit over 2000km. Kinda puts things into perspective.

·
Registered
126 Posts
DrNO...good for you - working on your own bike will also help you get to know her better - worth all the sweat and blood and then some!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I recall paying the dealership 80 bucks for the first service. To bad the aren't here now, went out of business around the first of the year. I will do my oil changes myself now, I just wanted the first service to be done there- in case of issue's.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I can't tell where you are from,, i just had mine serviced in Phoenix last month
during my trip. Total cost, $135 including tx. That was a full service ... full synthetic oil, lube and oil filter, going over my bike from one end to the other , checking everything and checking and greasing the bearings on my trailer.

When i returned home (Canada), same price, same service items, minus the trailer bearings. Tell em you like to be kissed before getting screwed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm from Oregon, they told me that it's $75/hour and only $42 for the oil + parts.. the rest is labor, told me it would be about $200 and some change

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I'm from Oregon, they told me that it's $75/hour and only $42 for the oil + parts.. the rest is labor, told me it would be about $200 and some change
Unless its a major service like a valve job etc, an oil lube and filter service should require no more than 1 hr of labor.That includes checking over the bike.

75 bucks for 1 hr
42 bucks for oil and filter

Plus TX is right on the money.

I always book mine in first thing and wait there during my service and i am in and out in an hour. If you drop it off and pick it up later only leaves the opportunity to be screwed over.

I refuse to pay for breaks or any other delays that are not related to my bike.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Like others said just keep the oil clean and you have a machine that will last a long time. Changing the oil is fairly simple on our vn900s and only requires a couple of tools. I highly recommend for you to do it yourself and also take the screen out just to make sure nothing is holding there. I also highly recommend Rotela 15-40 and a normal motorcycle oil filter wich will total less than $20 at your local walmart. I've tried from Valvoline 20-50 motorcycle oils to Mobil 1 V Twin 20-50 and to be honest the 900 runs quiter and smoother with Rotella. Don't forget not to overflow otherwise you will get a drip of oil on the right side of the engine coming from the air box. Good luck.

I was quoted just about the same when I asked for my first service and since then I only get my inpection done at the local kawa dealer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Like others said just keep the oil clean and you have a machine that will last a long time. Changing the oil is fairly simple on our vn900s and only requires a couple of tools. I highly recommend for you to do it yourself and also take the screen out just to make sure nothing is holding there. I also highly recommend Rotela 15-40 and a normal motorcycle oil filter wich will total less than $20 at your local walmart. I've tried from Valvoline 20-50 motorcycle oils to Mobil 1 V Twin 20-50 and to be honest the 900 runs quiter and smoother with Rotella. Don't forget not to overflow otherwise you will get a drip of oil on the right side of the engine coming from the air box. Good luck.

I was quoted just about the same when I asked for my first service and since then I only get my inpection done at the local kawa dealer.
Well i found a better deal actually, talked to someone that is about a 30 minute ride, $95 for labor + Parts and can knock it out in about an hour or so. So thats not to shabby.

·
Registered
558 Posts
If you want your bike to run and last, do the service yourself. Grab a manual and get to know your ride. The owners manual will tell you exactly what should be checked at each interval and the service manual will give you the details to do the work on your own. There is no way the dealer is taking his/her time checking everything outlined in the owners manual. You think they are checking torque values? Please.

Go buy a jack, a torque wrench, and a service manual and your bike will thank you for it and you'll get more enjoyment out of your hobby.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
My advice: buy a service manual. Start collecting metric wrenches and even if you need to take a course at a local college, learn the basics. The more you understand about "how it works", the better you'll be at recognizing problems and relating information to your mechanic when you can't do the job yourself. And it's a hell of good feeling when you finish a job and "Holy Crap! It works!"

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
The first service was almost 600 bucks on my 600, when I had it. The first service on my 900 was ~300. When they do the first service, it's not just an oil change. They check the brakes, all the important nuts and bolts, and make sure everything is in good working order. My 900 has a service plan and extended warranty (no cost to me for the first 3 years), so I take it to the dealer. If you think you can do it on your own, get the manual and tackle it. If it's just an oil change, it's easy and quick. It's all the other stuff that adds up.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
$75.00 labor is not what the dealer is paying the mechanic, just so everyone is on the same page. That cost also goes for things like overhead, training, insurance, etc. as well as wages. Basically, it is about the going rate for most dealerships and not out of line with what they charge you at an auto dealership. Plus, if the dealer is a good one, you can be assured of mostly quality work. Having said that, my disclaimer is that I am not a dealer, but I understand that it costs money to run a business, especially one that is dependent on recreation dollars, which tend to dry up faster in a economic down period. So, you either pay for the service, or learn how to do it yourself, which is the preferred way. My dealer in Festus, Mo, is a wealth of information and pointers for doing the work myself, but is always available to do the things that I don't know how or don't wish to tackle, so two thumbs up, at least to my dealership. I have worked through spark plug tube o-ring leaks, (my fault after my second valve check) new brakes front and back, and the miscellaneous oil changes, assessory additions and such like. It's all in what you place value in, and a good dealership deserves to be compensated for the service they provide....
BTW, have you ever priced the cost of a oil change at a Harley Dealership? Seriously........Walt E.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts