Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My work situation has drastically changed and in a sense I am being forced to ride my bike to work everyday. My commute has went from 10 minutes down the road to 1.5+ hours of 4 lane highway one way. I know riding a bike is not cheap but it is cheaper than a full size pickup. But that is not what I came on here to ask about.

I have never really looked at rain gear. I always just cheaped out and either bought cheap 1 time use poncho or just wore my leathers and just took it best I could. I don't know what brands are good to get, do I need to look at 1 piece or 2 piece sets? Which ones do I need to avoid, or do I just need to get new gear that is good for multi-season use?

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now my gear consists of my pirate suit (black leather jacket, chaps, vest,....) and my real gear that I wear most of the time are Draggin Jeans and my perforated leather Joe Rocket jacket. I like the Joe Rocket jacket a lot and it actually fits like one should, just hate to go on the look for new gear that fits like it should. But if that is what I need to do then I guess I will.

I am not going to the Hundred Dollar store and buying that marked up stuff made by other manufactures like their helmets are nothing but Bell or HJC with different badges on it.

·
BOTM Winner, October 2015
476 Posts
...I have never really looked at rain gear. I always just cheaped out and either bought cheap 1 time use poncho or just wore my leathers and just took it best I could. I don't know what brands are good to get, do I need to look at 1 piece or 2 piece sets? Which ones do I need to avoid, or do I just need to get new gear that is good for multi-season use?
The stuff in my saddlebag is lightweight Columbia rain pants and a Columbia rain jacket. The zips aren't self sealing or anything so water does get in. And it wicks up the sleeves of your extended arms if it is raining hard. This gear is about $50 for the pants, $50 for the jacket.

The reason I am also in the market is color. My gear is black on black and I'd like to be a bit more visible riding in the rain. Rode home in a rainstorm at dusk this week and I felt invisible. I didn't like it.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
I have Frogg Toggs. Typically around $60 for a 2 piece set at Academy. You might find them on line for less.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Tour Master Sentinel LE jacket in hi-vis yellow. Built-in storage pocket, just roll it into the pocket and zip it up, throw it in the saddlebag.
Tour Master Sentinel LE Nomex pants. The Nomex prevents a melt-through on a hot exhaust. Comes with a carry bag.
TREDS Waterproof Motorcycle Rain Boot. You won't believe how much these boots stretch!
I have been using my Firstgear winter gloves for rain, as they are waterproof, but am looking at getting something new, as even during rain, these get rather toasty!
I have been in torrential downpours during my hour+ commute, dry as can be on the other end.

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
Tour Master Sentinel LE jacket in hi-vis yellow. Built-in storage pocket, just roll it into the pocket and zip it up, throw it in the saddlebag.
Tour Master Sentinel LE Nomex pants. The Nomex prevents a melt-through on a hot exhaust. Comes with a carry bag.
TREDS Waterproof Motorcycle Rain Boot. You won't believe how much these boots stretch!
I have been using my Firstgear winter gloves for rain, as they are waterproof, but am looking at getting something new, as even during rain, these get rather toasty!
I have been in torrential downpours during my hour+ commute, dry as can be on the other end.
I am also in the market to get some rain gear for me and the wife. While those look very very nice, there's no way I could pay that much for 2 complete sets, for something that gets tossed in the bags and used very little. I must keep looking.

Think I am going to try these. can get the bag for $5 too. 2 sets with bags is $100.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is more of what I am looking at. I know it will cost me some $$$, but I don't want to put it out if it ain't going to work. Are they sized to fit over gear or will I have to go up a few sizes to fit over my jacket?

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
They are sized correctly, at least for me. I've been very pleased with the gear so far. I am now working on getting a pair of Areostich short-gauntlet three-digit raincovers, as they look like they would tuck under the jacket sleeves very well. If they work as well as they appear they may, I will be good top to bottom!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have tried several different brands of rain gear. The ones that have done the best for the price have been the frogg toggs. They are a good set of gear. Heavy enough to keep the rain out but light enough to not roast you if it's warm out.

Appalachian twisties!!!! GTA Love em!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I bought a RevIt overjacket and a pair of their overpants. They both perform excellently and aren't too expensive. The only thing about the jacket is it has little to no air flow.

Now I'm a guy who avoids rain when I can so my extra gear is in my saddlebags which means I have to pull over and put it on should I need it. If I were you SWVA I would get a jacket and maybe pants with the waterproofing baked in. If you know for sure you will have to ride in the rain, why worry about having to pull off the highway at a safe place and fool with your luggage? Plus your topic says "serious rain gear" so that says to me performance is more important.

·
Registered
386 Posts
A lot to consider here.

I always used to have a one piece Rukka over suit. Thick old thing with vents under the arm pits and a map pocket on the leg that used to steam up. It kept the rain off okay, but man was it damp inside after an hour on a wet summers day. Thats when I used to ride everywhere on a sports bike with very little fairing protection. If it rained half way along my commute or day I had to decide if I wanted to stop, invariable I kept going as long as possible, until my leathers were definitely going to soak through on the hope that it would stop raining, and then put the over suit on. Not good.

Then I changed bikes to a more touring orientated style, and that had good fairing protection so I went to an all season jacket with removable thermal lining and carried on wearing my leather jeans, as my legs were protected by the fairing, and due to doing a lot of mechanical stuff the leathers were kind of oily and waterproof-ish. That meant if it rained I was okay for about an hour or so. The jacket lasted for a couple of years before the waterproofness wore off.

I don't know what the modern rain suits are like, but if you want to keep your everyday gear you already have, then I would say with a breathable one piece is the way to go. Get one with a zip and storm flap with velcro, not individual poppers, as they are a bitch to do up in the pouring rain. This would be the least expensive option I would think.

My current gear is an old Harley all season jacket, (guaranteed 100% waterproof) that leaked 5 minutes after buying it, leather jeans and old rukka over trousers, and water proof leather baseball boots. That way I can keep going through a shower, and only bother with the over trousers if the rain is really bad. I also have over boots for when it's truly awful.

1.5 hours on a motorway in the rain is not fun.

Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have HD stuff and only bought it after my First Gear set came apart after 6 years. The HD rain gear is heavy duty and I know it works because I have a couple of friends with it.. Think it's an Overpass II.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Love my Frogg Toggs, using the type that the pants have a bib. They are thin and light last about 5 years for me, been using this Brand for years.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
243 Posts
+1 on Frogg Toggs. On my ride to Alberta last year went through some mean down pours and these kept me dry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had crappy rain-suits for $10 that go over your clothes (lasts 1-2 rides), a two piece "suit" of joe rocket Ballistic pants and 3/4 jacket which worked OK but leaked at the waistline and arms.

I was fortunate to get an Aerostitch roadcrafter 1 piece suit in my size, barely used on ebay for $300. That thing is amazing, I have the three finger Aerostitch overgloves as well and the only thing wet is my feet (boots are just "regular" work boots). The aerostitch is comfortable from 25 degrees (lots of room to layer) to about 90 with the vents open and t-shirt and shorts under. Anything hotter and its jeans / t shirt unless I'm touring. It has lots of reflective panels and waterproof pockets as well, all in all an excellent riding suit, worth the price though it is an investment.

EDIT also wanted to add this worked fine on my commute of 40 miles each way on the interstate on a 1978 Sportster, no windshield.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts