Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Went through hell and back with this bike. The previous owner sold it to me with a destroyed stator/flywheel (magnet fell off and grenaded in the crank case), so when the battery died so did the motor. Was a fun surprise after only owning it a few days. Did many of my first motorcycle repairs and upgrades on it.

The greatest memory I have of riding that motorcycle was the 30 hour 1200 mile round trip to NC on July 4th, 2012. I left my house in upstate NY on Tuesday the 3rd around 6pm and arrived at around 9am July 4th. The bike had a small tank (2.9 gallons I think), and if ridden conservatively could get 50mpg. At highway speeds, that dropped to about 36mpg so I'd have to stop every 100 miles or so to top off. I can still remember the brief panic when the engine died at about 90mph on the interstate, I was in the left lane, switched it to reserve and prayed that it would re-fire before I got run over. Nothing like the highways at night, crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel at maybe 2am... stopping at random gas stations where only the pump was on, meeting people along the way... and the inevitable ride home in 100F+ temps with a bike that wouldn't start unless I pop-started it (turned out to be that switch at the clutch lever). The seat was insanely uncomfortable. After awhile I figured out if I put out the rear pegs and lean over the tank like a sport bike, it made the ride more pleasant. Every stop I'd slam 2 of those Arizona iced tea/lemonade combos and I never had to use a bathroom once. Made it there and back in once piece thanks to a fantastic piece of machinery that was maintained by the best motorcycle mechanic I've ever met. I sent the bike off to its new home today, but the memories will last a lifetime and I look forward to making more on my current ride, the 900 Custom.

Kawasaki rider for life.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
95, letting go of yor old ride can be somber.. it is much like when the kids finally leave the house for good (ps. quik change the lox and/or move).. the wifey gets all sobby and you do the huggy thing.. about a week or two tops till reality sets in.. you are free! from them money sucking parasites..
yeah after about 2 weeks on into a new bigger better badder skoot, you wont even think about that old rattle bucket is but a distant memory. poncho

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
about a week or two tops till reality sets in.. you are free! from them money sucking parasites..
the best thing is to move in the first 2 days and don't leave a forwarding address.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts