Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received a set of Sena SMH10 Bluetooth intercom dual set. I like the way it attaches to to the helmet, setup with my Iphone is a breeze, Sound quality is good, So whats not to like??

I have not had a chance to try the intercom yet, just been trying out the Mp3 Stereo functions but I already have some serious reservations. When riding at speeds over 60mph it is already pretty loud inside my 3/4 helmet with shield (HJC IS-33). Now to overcome all that noise with even louder music makes me afraid of damaging my hearing! I tried wearing earplugs to combat the wind noise but now I can't hear the music either.

How have you guys handles this dilemma? A windshield would probably help cut some of the noise but don't want to go there yet.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Have had mine about 3 months now. We use it to talk to each other only. Is paired to my phone but haven't received a call when riding yet. We both wear half helmets so there is wind noise as you would guess. I ordered the one to use with earbuds and I like it. My wife has the add on pouches that slip into the groove of the helmet. So far so good we can talk and ride. Wind yes but it's because of the half helmets. We like them.

·
Registered
93 Posts
We've had our Sena intercoms for a couple of years and highly recommend them, especially with the latest firmware upgrade. Be sure to log on to the support site and download the latest firmware if you haven't done so yet.

I wear these custom fit ear plugs from Cabelas . They are molded to the outside of your ear so they are very comfortable. They don't block a lot of sound, but they do cut the wind noise. It is pretty cheap and easy to try and you aren't out much if they don't work for you. BTW, you don't have to use the cord as shown in the picture. I don't, that way they fit perfectly flat under the helmet.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a set of Etymotics ear plugs, upgraded the firmware and am going on a few hundred mile ride tomorrow. Should be all set, hope they work well. I will let you know!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Review

Had a great trip into the Arizona mountains and here is my thoughts on the Sena SMH10's

Wind noise was definitely a problem although I suspect any such product would have the same problem. If my passenger cupped her hand over the mic while we talked and mine was tucked behind my face shield we could have short comments or conversations but generally waited until we slowed down enough to use them for conversation.

I tried using the Etymotics earplugs which made talking and music much easier. My problem with those is the plastic tip stick too far out of my ear and pressed on the speaker making it quite uncomfortable. I tried regular foam earplugs but they blocked out too much sound making conversation or music impossible.

Like I said before they always connected to my phone quickly and easily and are easy and intuitive to use with good sound quality. Thanks raindragon for the firmware tip, definitely improved the product with respect to control, setup and usability.

While this review sounds negative its really not meant to be that way. I was really quite happy with them. I think I just haven't found the right earplugs yet to make these work to their potential. I also believe that if you had a full windshield to help block the wind you wouldn't have as much trouble as I am having.

The SMH10's do exactly what they claim to do and I would recommend them if you are looking for a cheaper alternative to the Scala systems. In fact I have read several reviews that rate the Sena superior to Scala at a cheaper price.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Lowers: What a Difference

I am getting my 9 ready to sell/trade.
I took off my windshield lowers and WHOA! What a difference.

The wind noise was so bad, even with my Etymotics, my wife and I could not have a conversation at 70mph.

I am not sure if lowers would look that good on the custom, but they made a huge difference in the wind noise.

Scott

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
My wife and I use the Cardo Scala Rider Team Set Pro intercoms and we have not had a problem with wind noise at highway speeds but we also wear full face helmets. I do not have a windshield on my V2K either. But I can tell if the mic is positioned too low in the helmet because of the wind noise i picks up. They also came with larger wind socks to use with open face helmets. The mics on ours only has openings on one side when you take the sock off. make sure it is turned the right way. Maybe try some denser foam for a wind sock or maybe lay some tape on the wind side of the mic to block some wind. Or maybe a thin piece of plastic zip tied to the boom to block wind. I have never tried any of these ideas but I have herd of other doing it. Remember it is hear say. Don't blame me if it don't work.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just got the new Cardo Scala Rider G9. Did the software upgrade immediately upon returning home. So far it works great. Easy to use and to make and recieve phone calls is a piece of cake. Most functions are voice actuated so both hands are on the grips while operating it. Radio has plenty of volume and the volume goes up and down as ambient noise (wind) increases or decreases.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
I use the SMH10 in a full face. I've had many phone calls, not once did I have a caller realize that I was riding down the road, sometimes at high speed. I've also used them for communications with my son-in-law on rides together. Great clarity, easy to use and control.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I don't have a Sena, but I do have a Shark bluetooth setup. Really recommend one of the two for anyone that rides two up. It's not to be able to have a relaxed conversation with your passenger at speed. My wife and I also ride together when she's on her bike, and she can be a good 1500 feet away or more (depending on the area we're in, buildings and power lines sometimes shorten the range) and I can still talk to her.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have owned many brands but keep coming back to Cardo. The G9 is pretty awesome.
No wind noise.
Volume adjust based on noise... maybe speed?
Have me, wife and 2 boys all connected full time, full duplex. Like we are all standing in a room together discussing the ride!

I have made suggestions about companies developing a BT hub for these systems, so that when we go on rides, as long as one person brings a hub, all of the systems could connect to a party-line-like system... no takers yet.

zeddock

·
Registered
70 Posts
I searched this thread up as I want a bluetooth intercom and I have been considering the UClear Hbc100 Plus and the SMH10 as my top two choices so far.

I am on a budget and really I just want to be able to talk with my daughters if they are riding with me (rider to passenger) as well as use it to answer the phone if needed.

I know this thread is a year old, any others to research? I hoped to limit a pair to about $300 and less would be better as funds are tight - going through the divorce thing but I think this is worth spending the money on as opposed to earbuds and a cord which I use now.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I run the SMH10 for my wife and I. We both wear half helmets so there is wind noise for both of us. I use ear buds and she uses the pouches that slip into the helmet. It works for us. I am sure it would be a lot better with full face. We leave them on the whole time we ride. Never tried it on vox. Hope that helps. I got them on ebay for the dual set about $300.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am not familiar with those units but I have spent thousands and much time and can say with confidence that the Scala units work as you want.

Not sure what prices are right now.

Have enjoyed so many rides with friends and wife and both boys. We leave all units on all the time and never run out of battery.

On the latest version now.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi, I don't really know the other brands performance but when my co-worker who's been riding for decades suggested Cardo Scala sets, that's what I tried and was very happy with them. I bought the Q2 Pro Multi-set in 2010 and they worked really good. The newer models can hook up up to 4-8 units and communicate without interruptions so you can look at that too. I spent $200 back then. The current models have built-in FM radio too and I'm sure easy to use. It's a good investment to enjoy rides without yelling all the time. Good luck!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I picked up a pair of the SENA SMH-10s when my daughter and I rode to DC last May. There were great most of the time. There were a few issues with wind noise but it wasn't an everyday issue. I had on a full face helmet and she had on a 3/4 with a face shield. They'd last all day on a charge, their support is good, and they're always putting out updates.

I paid $260 for the pair and have no complaints.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts