Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not for sure yet, but I may be selling my '08 900 Custom (I said may). As I think about selling it I wonder if I would do better returning it to stock and selling it and selling the mods, OR, if I would do better selling it at a higher price with the mods. The mods are BAK, Cobra Dragsters, Saddleman saddlebags, Switchblade windshield, Cobra Fuel Mgt, risers.
As I watch the classifieds, it seems like the mods don't bring much money if they are still bolted on the bike. Fortunately, I kept the stock parts, so I can return it to stock.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
General rule of thumb is u put it on the bike .......Ur loss when i comes 2 selling or trading....On a trade in a dealer will give u nuttin...........The odd time on a private sale if a buyer is knowledgeable about bikes u may get a few extra bucks....But usually u will take a beating........Kinda rock and hard place type of a deal...........Good luck......:)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Give the buyer his or her choice. Figure a price for it "strippped", then figure what each mod is "worth" then show them the list. They may want some or all mods, so I would wait. Hell, they would be getting in installation for free....

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
if you are trading it takem off, i agree, the dealer will give you nothing, but if you leave em on .. he will use it as a selling point to justify his high price when selling, there are enough here on the forum that will pay a reasonable price for your accessories.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Ditto. Return it to stock, and sell the parts here or Craigslist.

·
Registered
382 Posts
might be in the market looking for a 'splice free' fuel tuner for my 900 :)

*hint, hint*:)

Cobra makes 2 versions, one that plugs into the factory wire connectors, and another that you have to cut and splice in yourself.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
From what I've seen... stock it and sell the mods separately. Even if you don't get as much as you'd like out of them, you still usually net more than leaving them on the bike.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So much of this depends on the buyer. A person with some knowledge of what those mods cost may pay more. In general you will net more by taking them off and selling seperate. However, I have been told that what you gain may not be worth the time in taking them off. If you are thinking of trading, definitely take them off. I would do as another reply already stated, set two prices and let the buyer choose. See what happens.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Since you have the OEM parts, you are better off restoring it to stock, and the sell the bike with the parts sold at about 60-70 percent of what you paid for them. Depending on how much you put into after market parts, you could come out 1000 to 1500 better off than selling it with the after market parts on it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate the thoughts.
I don't expect I'll be trading her in. I am sure that would be the way to get the least for her.

I'll probably go ahead and return her to stock and and use eBay for the bike and try to sell the add-ons here.

But like I said up front, I MAY be selling. A lot of stars need to line up for it happen.

Thanks again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts