Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not familiar with these bike too much. Seems at 45 to 50 in 5th gear is a high rpm. No tach so unsure. To the point riding buddies are telling me to shift up (granted the are riding full size HD) Notice as well that when I throttle heavy it pops and farts. Have not gone on HWY as new to the street. Any ideas or suggestions would be awesome or if it is just the bike. It's a 95 vulcan 800

·
Registered
199 Posts
Mine is also from '95 and as far as I remember the rear gear ratio allows this high rpm. Stock, the bike has 16T front and 46T on the rear sprocket.
I have changed to 18T front and 42T rear. There are many variants of aftermarket sprockets on the market, depends on each preferences.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thank you, so it's me and not the bike. I'm going to change the plugs as well. May help with when throttling heavy the popping stops

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Any recommendations where to purchase. Guessing should change chain as well while it's out. Using the 18t and 42t would it still be factory length and pitch chain? Thanks again for your help

·
Registered
199 Posts

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
When you say it 'pops and farts" do you mean its popping back through the intake? This is a sign its running too lean. Does it have any mods such as modified or after market intake, air filter? Are the exhaust pipes stock/quiet? As for the high revving, as long as the clutch is not slipping, this is normal for these bikes, they red line at I think 9200 rpm, hit the rev limiter. Compared to large V-twins they do rev higher.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Threw the exhaust it pops but only at heavy trottle. I have changed the plugs Recently but because of work and rain havnt gone for a ride. Wife took it out and said runs well. Only after market I know of is the pipes.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Threw the exhaust it pops but only at heavy trottle. I have changed the plugs Recently but because of work and rain havnt gone for a ride. Wife took it out and said runs well. Only after market I know of is the pipes.
The OEM pipes hide decel popping very well. It's normal to hear with aftermarket pipes. Using a fuel controller or getting the ECU reprogrammed by Ivan will minimize the effect.

·
Registered
662 Posts
You have no ECU, so don't worry about sending that to Ivan, and you have a carb, so can't use a fuel controller either.

Here's a link to Russian Wolf's modification pages, for a wealth of excellent information about the 800... The Wolf's Bike Shop; just how far do you trust me?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the great advice everyone. I changed the plugs and that helped a little. I can live with the deceleration popping. Its when I throttle heavy and fast on accelerating. Almost sounds as starving or too much fuel choking the motor down. I roll off throttle and back on and it seems to be good. I'm guessing it's a carb issue. Only thing that I have done is changed the float and plunger in the carb and changed the faulty fuel shutoff besides plugs, oil change, and new air filter . The bike came with VH pipes. Also. My bike starts right up. No choke. Let idle for 2 min and I'm ready to roll. Every one I read said needs to choke. Maybe a problem there?once again thanks for everyone's great responses. Helps me out a lot.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you have popping on deceleration you could try removing the "afterburner." Like Peg said, check out the Russian Wolf website: The Wolf's Bike Shop; just how far do you trust me?

In regards to the hesitation when you apply the throttle, if you're cranking it to WOT, then I would guess it is your main jet causing the issue. Maybe when you roll off the throttle then back on the accelerator pump gives it a squirt of gas which helps the lean situation? If you haven't done it already you should remove the carb and give it a good clean. Check the jet size against stock. According to my service manual it should be a 135 main, 48 pilot, pilot screw 1 3/4 turns out. If you have an aftermarket intake then that all goes out the window and you'll have to experiment.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts