Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And yes, I'm being a little picky.. :p Any of you 900 custom riders (particularly the red) that are willing to send me some all around (all sorts of angles) pics of your debadged bike?

I'm torn, right now... I'm definitely debadging the side cover, as the "Kawasaki" there seems rather toyish, but I'm still debating the tank badges, as there are times I love them, and times I don't. It's rather hard to decide without some detailed pics that I can compare to my own.

Just let me know!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi Stetso
Mine is Neked The link is below. I have added a handle bar riser and sport shield and need to update my pics, but this may help.

·
Registered
339 Posts
That Orange looks good without the badges...I have been kicking the idea around for a while and can't decide. I have stripped everything else off, side plate, reflectors but couldn't make myself take those tank emblems off till now :D

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
306 Posts
Ijust debadged my 07 red custom two weeks ago. It looked ok but at times it just looked bare like it needs something...i didnt however get any pics of it debadged....I have since added some grahics yesterday....still nopics as its been raining....ill get some asap..

·
Registered
65 Posts
That Orange looks good without the badges...I have been kicking the idea around for a while and can't decide. I have stripped everything else off, side plate, reflectors but couldn't make myself take those tank emblems off till now :D
I may add a graphic of some sort but I have always debagged all my vehicles. I love the clean lines.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went ahead and debadge the bike... and WOW. Turned out to be a lot more work than I expected. I was planning for about 30 mins, turned in to about 3 hours... LOL

I went with the "warm up the badges with a hairdryer" approach, and the side badge came off like BUTTER! Then I moved to the tank badges, and thought they were coming off easily, using fishing line after heating for a couple of moments, but a LOT (most) of the 3M adhesive stayed on the tank. The "rub off the adhesive" with WD40 worked with the side badge, but not that MASS left on the tanks, so I rode to WalMart and came back with Goo Gone. Then, to help scrape, I got a nylon scraper that the wife uses on her no-stick pots and pans... figured if it was trusted by her for the "don't scratch" application, I could trust it too?

I was really happy when I *FINALLY* got all the adhesive off, but then I noticed the fine scratches... and panicked. I thought I had ruined my paint job, and after the night of sweat and frustration, I was rather angry as well. I was kicking myself for not giving myself enough daylight, for rushing and not letting the Goo Gone soak for hours, etc. etc., but then I remember one of the tutorials saying "fine scratches will happen", so dug it up, ran to WalMart again for some polishing compound, got a buffing pad on the hand drill, and buffed the tank under the glow of my wife's headlights. Then I added a layer of wax, couldn't see a thing, so parked her and waited for morning.

Before and after pics of the whole bike can be seen in the 900 pics thread, but here's a close up of the tank and side badge... not too bad a job buffing that tank back out, eh? :D There are still some barely visible swirls from the polishing compound, but that's typical, and I think Maguiers Swirl Remover 2.0 will take care of that, and anyone other than myself would probably never notice it at all. (I was looking at it with a magnifying glass, lol)

·
Registered
306 Posts
looks good. I used acatone to take of the glue and stuff ( after testing a small spot under the seat to be sure it wouldnt harm the paint took about an hour to get them off )
I also had to buff out some scratches. Im still waiting for it to stop raining to take some pics of the graphics i added

1 - 9 of 9 Posts