Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hi, all. Until I find a set of OEM pipes for big blue, I’ve ordered EMGO 4” baffles. Not expecting great decibal reduction, but I figure nothing to lose but noise. I’m seeing and hearing that wrapped baffle packs come apart and don’t last long. Any advice there?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Give them about 4 layers of material and wrap them with stainless steel wire at about 1/4 inch spacing and they should last a good long while

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Attached is video clip of Big blue’s straight pipes before I attempt baffling. Still l

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
…still looking for OEM pipes for sale or swap. Having trouble uploading mp3 video, but can share as needed if interested in seeing and hearing on bike.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hi all, I found a local bike shop to lengthen my short header pipes under the chrome and add EMGO 4” baffles I purchased. I’ll be happy if I get 50% noise reduction. 🙂

·
Registered
62 Posts
Glad to hear you got something worked out. My side ended up falling through as i have some required runs for my group during the 3 weeks my wife will be over that way and cant have the bike down for those 3 weeks with no exhaust on it at all.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Roger that. I’ve got some down time myself while pipes are in the shop. If I do find some OEM exhaust in good shape, I’ll have a set of unneeded baffled chrome pipes, per below. Happy riding.

9E9987D8-B77F-461A-8DD3-C5A0F9C88C3D.jpeg

·
Registered
2017 Vulcan 900 Classic
301 Posts
Which pipes are those and will you be selling them?

Thanks.

Roger that. I’ve got some down time myself while pipes are in the shop. If I do find some OEM exhaust in good shape, I’ll have a set of unneeded baffled chrome pipes, per below. Happy riding.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
NCPiper, one shop said they might be V&H with end caps removed, but another shop said they looked like Roadrunner. We did find some numbers stamped. I cannot turn these pipes loose until/unless I get a quieter or replacement OEM exhaust. For me, the quieter the exhaust the better, which is why I’m having these chrome pipes (re?) baffled. This costs some welding, but might save my ears and keep me from getting a ticket for disturbance of the peace. 🙂

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Reporting back with results of inexpensive EMGO 4” baffles installed on my after market headers. Nominal sound reduction

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Exhaust still has some bark, but less backfiring on decel. Spark plugs were tan before test drive and ai do not suspect a mixture problem because performance seems unaffected. I’m thinking if capping the modification with an idea I believe saw on this forum but cannot find again. I liked this attached photo of flat washer outlets which I would plan to paint black. Inside washers openings I’ve purchased look pretty close to OEM outlet pipe size to me. Any experience or advice with this idea, anyone?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
To round out this thread, I had flat washers tacked to 2” length of 2” diameter Sch 40 steel which was drilled and tapped for flush bolting to my open, baffled after market tailpipes. Improvement in noise is significant. I haven’t had the bike on the highway or checked gas mileage since this modification, but I feel no noticeable loss of power. What I like is that I now have an easily modified set of baffled pipes with removable end caps if performance is impacted. I will probably experiment with expanded metal and steel wool inserts for additional noise muffling, being careful not to exceed original OEM back pressure. Anybody know how to measure that? Anyway, once I get newly fabricated end caps painted black I’ll post a picture of the handiwork. I appreciate all the help and advice received! 🙂

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
To round out this thread, I had flat washers tacked to 2” length of 2” diameter Sch 40 steel which was drilled and tapped for flush bolting to my open, baffled after market tailpipes. Improvement in noise is significant. I haven’t had the bike on the highway or checked gas mileage since this modification, but I feel no noticeable loss of power. What I like is that I now have an easily modified set of baffled pipes with removable end caps if performance is impacted. I will probably experiment with expanded metal and steel wool inserts for additional noise muffling, being careful not to exceed original OEM back pressure. Anybody know how to measure that? Anyway, once I get newly fabricated end caps painted black I’ll post a picture of the handiwork. I appreciate all the help and advice received! 🙂
Finally got rolled hardware metal fencing and steel wool inserted behind fabricated baffle caps, rode it about 100 miles, checked plugs, slightly dark, then removed and cleaned a small amount of zinc debris from the home-made baffles. Photos attached. Spend the day today trying out the Fi2000 settings and ended up changing from base of 4-2-0 to 3-5-2 which takes me to highway spend easily. Pipe run hotter than straight pipes, but probably as hot as OEM though likely not quite as quiet. Good enough for me. Enjoy the photos and feel free to comment or advise further on baffling vs noise vs performance. Best regards.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Others may have dimensions of OEM, but pipes shown are aftermarket straight pipes that were extended to allow additional baffling. Interior pipe shown is 1-1/2”.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Just finished a 1000 mile trip on Big Blue with the new baffling and adjusted module. All worked together just fine. At one point after passing a truck on the interstate at 83 mph I realized I was still in fourth gear. This makes me wonder what these bikes do wide open in fifth gear. Not that I would recommend it, but someone may have tried it and could share. 🏍

21 - 40 of 42 Posts