Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to this list, new to Kawasaki, and new to the Vulcan. I’ve read up on the list discussions on debaffling and am going the other direction looking for a set of OEM exhaust to give my 64-yr old ears some ease. The 2006 Vulcan 900 I bought has beautiful and loud chrome aftermarket straight pipes. I would be happy to make a trade of these for OEM and provide photos. I appreciate other ideas to baffle internal 1-3/4” pipes. I saw one Vulcan owner added washers to pipe outlets as baffles, but never saw if that was successful as a clever fix. My chrome outlets would require a 2-1/4” flat washer. Any advice appreciated on sound reduction from straighr pipes.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Often there is someone on this forum who is willing to sell a stock set of pipes. Just keep this thread floating somewhere near the top, and sooner or later someone will respond.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Big Blue where are you located. I have OEM Pipes on my 900 but have been looking at after market pipes. Please send me pics of your pipes. Depending on location shipping will be the biggest issue we will both face.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Big Blue where are you located. I have OEM Pipes on my 900 but have been looking at after market pipes. Please send me pics of your pipes. Depending on location shipping will be the biggest issue we will both face.
I am in Central Pennsylvania this summer, but reside in Alabama so could meet in most any state near or between. Not sure how to post pics, yet, but we could consider a Zoom call with live throttle party for show and tell.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Plee911, Here’s big blue’s after market exhaust. Pretty and loud. No manufacturer name stamp and no internal baffles. Just straight pipes.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Here are my stockers. It the only pic i have right now. They are not perfect but they are in pretty good shape. They are full stock i was actually getting ready to do a stage 1 debaffel on them but have not done it yet. They are not perfect as i said you can see that there is a little discoloration in about the same place on both pipes and they have a couple small scuffs. I work nights so chances to set up a zoom will be limited but we will see what we can do. My wife is actually traveling to Vermont at the end of June so if your still there i could have her bring them and meet you for the exchange if we reach an agreement. I might be able to set up a zoom meeting for Thursday afternoon/evening or Friday morning my time so that you can get full view and see the few imperfections they have.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Though it wouldn't be very expensive for you to buy some universal baffle inserts and have them wrapped and installed. Just being honest. we will set up the zoom meeting a see what you think. It will also give my wife a chance to hear the straight pipes as well since as a passenger she will be the one that hears them more than i will.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Though it wouldn't be very expensive for you to buy some universal baffle inserts and have them wrapped and installed. Just being honest. we will set up the zoom meeting a see what you think. It will also give my wife a chance to hear the straight pipes as well since as a passenger she will be the one that hears them more than i will.
Thanks, I'm interested and much obliged to the Forum. I have been checking into insert baffles online but am not sure they would be quiet enough. I appreciate any advice on baffling types and brands and can send more detail photos of my open pipe exhaust ports as others may have inserted baffles into? over? straight pipes. BTW, where are you located and what year is your 900?

·
Registered
2020 Vulcan Voyager
387 Posts
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

Glad to see that things are moving quickly for you. Hope you guys can work it out so that everyone is happy.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Im in Arizona and my 900 is a 2008.
Im not an expert on baffles but just doing a search for the 1 3/4 ID baffle inserts pulled up several options. A 9 inch universal properly wrapped would quite them down alot. the sets i was seeing ran between $50 and $75.

·
Super Moderator
4,789 Posts
Hi Big Blue. Keep in mind that even with the baffles, the exhaust will not be as quiet as the OEM exhaust. Aftermarket seems to make only two sound volumes. Loud and louder.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks. That is exactly what I was told today when I rode to a helpful KZ dealer. He said with baffles added I ‘might’ get 50% reduction from my straight pipes.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yea and for me i want better performance so i know i need to mod the exhaust and intake and get the ecu reflashed. I was planning to do a stage 1 debaffle (4 holes) see how it sounds then go to stage 2 (8 holes if it wasn't to bad or wasn't as loud as i thought.). I dont really want it as loud as it would be with open straight pipes but i do want it to stop sounding like a lawn mower. we will see how loud it is and it i need to get some slip ins i have no problem doing that. The only hurdles in the way will be the wife saying no way because its too loud and getting the pipes to each other. I Think i can have her take them at the end of June but i also know room in the car will be limited so i will have to work that out. She will be traveling from AZ to Vermont and will be going through Pennsylvania to get there, If we end up not being able to do that we may have to wait till you go home and meet in Utah. Otherwise we will have to look at shipping costs which i hear are pretty high for exhausts.
My plan is more open pipes (stock modded or after market), Cobra power flow intake (the closed one not the open round one) and an Ivans reflash. with a barons front pulley for the final change.
The problem right now it cost so im doing it slowly as i get the funds avalable.
So far i got really lucky and scored a cobra tripot tuner for an awesome price as a stop gap till i can afford to get the ECU IVANised, with the pipes and the poor mans intake mod it should wake the bike up a little. was going to do the ecu this winter as a xmas present.
I wish the big 3 were not so danged expensive for our bikes.

·
Registered
541 Posts
What pipes are these specifically? They look like V&H Big Shots....if so, you can get baffles for them.....wrapping them is simple....but as you were told, they'll never be as quiet as OEMs....
When I wanna twist the throttle, Me, myself and I want to be heard.... I ride motorcycles, to me a nice, not obnoxiously loud is ok....
I have straight pipes on mine right now....I like it, if I wanna be quiet, I'm just easy on the throttle....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DL58, I must admit I like the backfire rumble, but in my area the Amish kids are putting their hands over their ears when I come by. My pipes are not stamped, but dealer thinks they may be Roadburners. Bike also has an Fi2000 Cobra (tuner?) with three dials 0-10 installed. The same dealer recommended I try inexpensive 1-3/4x4" EMGO replacement baffles by Western Power Sports or similar for $10. Any advice from this Forum is appreciated on a baffle install as it looks like I will need to remove pipes to do the drilling.

Plee911, you and I may need to go private message board(?) to work out a possible drop-off, trade, or drive-by later in June.

·
Registered
62 Posts
He said they have no markings. they look like the hard krome or road burner straights but they are not 3 inch pipes according to his measurements. I was trying to figure it out myself.

·
Registered
2013 Vulcan Classic 900
5 Posts
It'd be a bit out of the way but if you'd want to make the trip to NW Ohio I have OEM exhaust off a '13 that are just taking up room in the shop.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It'd be a bit out of the way but if you'd want to make the trip to NW Ohio I have OEM exhaust off a '13 that are just taking up room in the shop.
Yes, I would be interested and also any unused original mounting hardware. I would travel to Ohio for OEM.

·
Registered
2013 Vulcan Classic 900
5 Posts
Yes, I would be interested and also any unused original mounting hardware. I would travel to Ohio for OEM.
I'll double check when I get home after work, pretty sure I have all that hardware in a bag with the exhaust and can take pictures for you as well if you'd like.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts