Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there!

New member, looking at buying a new bike. I'm looking at a 2006 Vulcan 900 with 9,000km or a 2004 Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak with 20,000km.

I live in the rural so I do mostly highway at speeds around 60-70 mph and sometimes ride two up. The price difference for both is about a grand more for the 1600.

Just looking for advice.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Hey there! New member, looking at buying a new bike. I'm looking at a 2006 Vulcan 900 with 9,000km or a 2004 Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak with 20,000km.
I live in the rural so I do mostly highway at speeds around 60-70 mph and sometimes ride two up. The price difference for both is about a grand more for the 1600. Just looking for advice.
stefanwolf,, go big or go home.. cant run with the big dawgs, jus stay on the porch. poncho

·
Registered
214 Posts
I am going through the same process right now. I have the 900 an 07 with 12000km, have found a few Meanies that would do the trick.......decisions!!! This is a tough one. I so a lot of city driving and country cruises which the 900 is perfect for....but.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Had a 06 900 great bike ,Agree w poncho and Waldo on this,I said same thing as Spinner,,,,,but,Very Happy with my 2010 Nomad,if you want the meanie,get it
2010 nomad

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
if you really want to make an informed decision, crunch the numbers between the 1600 and a 900 ( especially with the big 3) ... you may be surprised. The HP vs LBS (power to weight ratio numbers ) are closer than most think. The 1600 has the edge on torque. Some time ago I did crunch em and was surprised at the comparison. BTW ... Im talking realistic actual dyno (rear wheel) numbers ... not general thought, cause "bigger is better". The info is readily available on the web with a little searching.

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you're doing rural riding, go for the 1600. I hope you can get your hands on the red and black one!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Follow your gut. If you want the 1600 go for it. You'll most likely love the nine, but once your comfortable you'll be eyeing up every meanie you see.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello again! Just an update...

I did check HP numbers, however with a lot of my miles going to be highway (I live in the boonies) I decided to get the 1600 Mean Streak! Every extra HP helps. I think I got a great price. It's barely broken in and in fantastic condition! Thanks for the advice. This forums is great!

Here's a pic after I bought it..

Attachments

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
If I had to do it again I would also go bigger than the 900. But it is the perfect 1st bike! On the other hand, I have no plans for ever giving mine up. I have so much invested in it and have things just the way we like them, starting over just isn't going to happen. I mean I do have the Glide if I need little more attitude on any given day! :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts