Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if everyone just leaves their helmets outside when shopping or at the movies, or do you bring them in with you? My dads old Rebel had a helmet lock on it, vulcan 900 classic lt, doesn't. Though they could cut the strap off and replace it, walking away with $200+ helmets.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I carry a Kryptonite cable lock in the saddlebag and string it through the visor opening. Been known to string it through the sleeve of my jacket, too. Then I lock the whole mess to the sissy bar.

I imagine a big U-lock would work for the helmet, but I'm a cheap son-of-a-gun and I already had the cable lock, plus I can do the jacket trick.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
I only buy Arai full face helmets, usually with artwork on them so they are in the $600-700.00 range. I take them with me into the stores most of the time but like another person who posted here, I try to carry a cable lock on the bike. If I am concerned even with that, I just carry it with me. And I NEVER put the helmet on the mirror or other elevated "hangar" on the bike.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
I use the half helmet so it fits in my saddle bag. I have left it on the back rest some times and I do wonder if it will be there. I think most grown ups will leave it alone. However there are to many delinquents to just leave it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I fortunately have never had an issue with someone messing with my HJC full face helmets that I leave on my BMW, just ahead of the handlebar kind of behind the windshield, sitting right side up. Hope that is the same on the VN1600 I am buying.

Another option is to go on Ebay and find a Honda keyed helmet lock, and find a place to mount it on your bike. There are loads of helmet locks on the net.

On my 94 BMW R1100RS it has a zipper attachment at the back of the fuel tank in the gap between the tank and seat. Looks a bit like a leather flap about 4" wide with a zipper on it. Came out to my bike once and some dipshit must have thought it was funny to empty his ashtray in between the flap and the tank.

Bet he would have thought it hilarious if I opened his car door and pissed on his seat......dick heads.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Gun Lock, small but keeps honest people honest; a non rider won’t cut the straps, and a rider wouldn’t cut the straps as it defeats the point of the helmet. Don’t leave helmet unattended on your handlebars; it will get picked up.

Saddle up and feel the wind in your Helmet! ATGATT

·
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner
862 Posts
There's always some punk that thinks it's OK to take someone else's things. So I always carry my stuff with me when I'm at a store. Of course I'm prepared for doing so.

I carry my personal items and valuables in a small shoulder pack that fits in one of my saddle bags. Because the pack is the size of the helmets footprint it attaches nicely to it. This basically turns the helmet into a shoulder pack allowing me to carry it around slung over a shoulder.

It would be nice if we could trust one another in this world. But, I'm a realist. Sadly such a thing just isn't possible.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Sometimes I use the helmet strap looped through the rear carrier or grab rail and then through the D-rings to at least hold the helmet onto the bike so no one can bump it and make it fall off the bike. If someone is determined or dick-head enough they certainly could just unstrap the helmet and do what they will, plus who is gonna ask them about it unless they saw the person who owned the bike put the helmet there. Even then most people would not say anything anyway, these days you never know what kind of nut cases are out there.

Probably the best options are to lock the helmet in the side bag or tour pack box if you have it, or to lock the D-rings to the bike in some manner. A thief generally won't waste any time/effort if they're deterred somewhat, they want to grab it quick and run.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
I have a bicycle cable lock that I use to secure helmet(s) to the sissy bar, SENA gets detached & locked in the pannier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I will add that I bring my helmet inside with while I’m at work.

Saddle up and feel the wind in your Helmet! ATGATT

·
Registered
232 Posts
Dakine retractable cable ski lock. Light, small, easy, 13 bucks on Amazon. Many uses - trail cameras, etc.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
My helmet sits on the sissy bar. Grab it and run, I'd rather lose my helmet than have them screw up the finish or turn my bike over trying to get the helmet just because it was an "opportune moment".....

·
Registered
90 Posts
I always left mine on the bike, granted i don't buy the expensive ones, mainly scorpion. I have only ever had 1 issue, someone tried to steal it by burning off the strap but stopped halfway. Maybe they realized a strapless helmet is useless who knows but aside from that it never happened again. Recently i have taken it with me since the vulcan does not come with a lock but i am waiting on one i ordered.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I went to Home Depot and bought some plastic covered cable about 18 inches long. Its easy to make looped ends to it.

Essentially I just thread it through the D-ring on the helmet and around the handle bar and use a small MasterLock to secure it and its good to go.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Bicycle lock cable for me after having one taken many years ago- SENA unit is locked in the panniers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts