Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, January 2015
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I removed the secondary throttle plates on my 2006 VN2000. It is a little peppier, not by much. The first question is that I am having a hard time starting the bike in temps under 50 degrees. When its in the mid 40s the bike cranks over normal cranking speed, but takes 3 time to start. Is that because the secondaries are used as a choke for cold air? I did the same (removing the secondaries) with my 2012 ZX-14R Ninja and have no problems like that. Both bikes have the same Ballistic lithium batteries. Also, today I noticed a small amount of black carbon buildup around both primary throttle plates where they crack open and let air in the throttle bodies. The bike was dynode and tuned with a power commander IIIr, but before I removed the secondaries. Is a small amount of black residue normal around the primary plates where they open up around the edges? I have about 9,000 miles on the bike. Feels a little greasy, but dry, not oily, just old carbon gunk, very slight. Also do you think I need to re-tune the bike for the secondaries out?? I would re-install them and try starting the bike when it's cold, but mis-placed them and can't get a new set as they are part of the throttle bodies when you try to order them. Yeah---- I'm smart....... Any ideas????

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Paleface,, yep thems worked like chokes. I find if I don't touch the throttle the beast will fire first time. If I naturally roll the throttle it won't fire till I let it sit and then crank it with throttle off/closed. Once it fires then I mite hold it shut for a moment b4 attempting to rev it a bit. The motor warms up reasonable quik b4 rolling out.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts