Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember reading about removing the secondary butterflies from the throttle body.

I did a search and can't find what I'm looking for.

1. Do you just remove the screws and pull the butterflies out and leave the bar that they are mounted to?

2. Does it make much difference? Can you feel it?

3. Any bad side effects?

Also, there is a rubber thing in the bottom of the breather where the air comes in. Looks restrictive. Anyone remove it? Any effect good or bad?

Thanks...

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Going to give my becoming standard answer...if you want a truly fast upright bike buy a V-Max or B-King.
I understand. However, I have modified everything I have ever had.
I don't have to be the fastest. There is always someone faster anyway.
I just like to tinker. :D

If I'd wanted that kind of bike, I'd have bought it.

I've got the bike I want. But, If I can get free HP I'll take it. :cool:

·
Registered
319 Posts
butterflies

I understand. However, I have modified everything I have ever had.
I don't have to be the fastest. There is always someone faster anyway.
I just like to tinker. :D

If I'd wanted that kind of bike, I'd have bought it.

I've got the bike I want. But, If I can get free HP I'll take it. :cool:
Just remove the screws and blades, the shaft stays. Doesn't really add hp, just makes the bike snappier. i did mine and when it was cool out, it would lean out when cold. The butterflies also act as chokes. I just added a little more fuel with my Power Commander accelerator pump program

·
Registered
54 Posts
I did it. Yes, just like you said, remove the screws, take out the plates, leave every thing else. No real big improvement during the summer, I can say that I did notice it, tho.

However, when it got cold (it was 30 degrees), the bike didn't want to start, acted like a carbureted model - needed to crack the throttle to get it to fire, and then had to hold it for a bit to get it to stay running. Over the last 2 weeks, it seems that if the temp is 40+, it starts just fine, but the colder it gets the harder it starts. So, I am putting mine back on.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I kind of wondered if it acted like a choke.
Doesn't sound like it's worth the trouble.

How about my other question:

"Also, there is a rubber thing in the bottom of the breather where the air comes in. Looks restrictive. Anyone remove it? Any effect good or bad?"

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am not sure of what rubber thing you are asking about. All I can say is that I did this.... link to different thread ....to my air box (just the first picture relates to your question) and it works fine and dandy. I did not remove the rubber snorkle that Ma Kaw put in, just opened the rest of the airbox to let in more air. Lots of others have done similar redneck/do-it-yourself mods to the air intake, on this forum and over at kawasakimotorcycle.org. Don't know if that helps or not.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you do decide to remove the butterflies, one bit of advise: reach inside to the primary butterflies and push them closed BEFORE you start! The last thing you want is to be attempting to remove one of the tiny screws from your intake after it comes loose and falls down the intake tube!!! Believe me, that will make you sweat blood!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I removed mine and also debaffed my pipes. it feels a lil more snappy when i move out to pass someone. it also sounds better to me like a coldair intake almost. at this point i have no mods to the factory air box. i have a lil black smoke coming out from the bike still running rich so i will soon do a lil air box mod.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts