Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just limped my bike 200km home after the battery drained down on me. It had been getting slower to crank for a couple of days and then started to click while trying to start.
Always happens when Iam away from home and away from all my tools.
I bought a new battery and bought another cheap multimeter to see if Iam getting any charge at all.
I unplugged the headlight and took 2 spare batteries in the saddlebags just incase. But made it the 200km home with no issues.
Then checked again when I got home.
Iam able to get the battery volts to 13.2v at about 2500rpm ,But once the fan comes on,That drops to around 12.7v. Plug the headlight back in and the volts don't want to go over 12.6v.
Checked the reg/rect and that tests up ok.
Checked the AC voltages and they look ok to me. Maybe a bit lower than Romans. I will do the last test shortly to see if there is a short.
I did have the stator rewound just on 12 months ago.
Which was 15000km ago.
Is there a chance I will be getting stranded every 12 months miles from help or other riders with this same issue?

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
1. Did you do a voltage check right after new stator installed?
2. You had it rewound? Where? Did they take into account the vibration that these stators are subject to?

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did.Just looking back to my old post in the stator thread. I was getting 14.5 volts.
The only reason I had it rewound was because I was 900km from home and for some reason nobody carries any parts for the Vulcan here in Australia.
Even now,The closest stator I can find is 2-3 weeks away.
It was towed to a Kawasaki dealer in Queensland and they had the stator rewound and fitted for me.
Iam hoping you feel that the rewound stator could be the cause and if I buy a Ricks stator,I will have a lot more peace of mind.
Regards Jason

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Around 12.6v -12.7v
Resting battery voltage is 12.8v
No headlight and no fan is around 13.2v
No headlight and fan on is 12.6v

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I pulled the stator out this morning and yes,The stator is burned up in a few places.
Now I just need to wait for 3 weeks for a new Rick's motorsport one to arrive.
Waiting is the hardest part when we will be coming into winter here very soon and I wanted to make the most of the nice warm weather we have at the moment.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
Kawi dealer that doesn't have a stator on hand? Really? Feel bad for you bro. And if I were you I would start buying them and reselling them in your area at double the cost if they are that hard to get. Or at the very least get one for a spare also? If I remember correctly Ricks Stators are couple hundred bucks cheaper. Recommend buying direct from Ricks as well. Heard a few bad things about people selling them off ebay that aren't direct from Ricks. Just sayin!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I pulled the stator out this morning and yes,The stator is burned up in a few places.
Now I just need to wait for 3 weeks for a new Rick's motorsport one to arrive.
Waiting is the hardest part when we will be coming into winter here very soon and I wanted to make the most of the nice warm weather we have at the moment.
How popular are the Vulcans Down Under? I have heard the Suzuki's are pretty popular, like the DR, etc.

If they are, then maybe reselling the Stators is a good idea... Maybe Mark Victor at Biker Bits in Bendigo could be talked into carrying them? Just throwing ideas out there. :)

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How popular are the Vulcans Down Under? I have heard the Suzuki's are pretty popular, like the DR, etc.

If they are, then maybe reselling the Stators is a good idea... Maybe Mark Victor at Biker Bits in Bendigo could be talked into carrying them? Just throwing ideas out there. :)
It is a small world. I should message Mark and Nay and see if they are interested in keeping some bike spare parts.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hate the Rick's whistle...

I'm ready to replace my stator again also. I put a Rick's stator on 5 months ago and can't stand the whistle I get from it every time I start the bike. :at-wits-end:

The whistle does not go away until the bike is warm.

If Rick's will send me a replacement, I'm ready for 2 more days of work....

Cheers, ...

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
I'm ready to replace my stator again also. I put a Rick's stator on 5 months ago and can't stand the whistle I get from it every time I start the bike. :at-wits-end:

The whistle does not go away until the bike is warm.

If Rick's will send me a replacement, I'm ready for 2 more days of work....

Cheers, ...
Did you do a charging system voltage check whilst it was whistling?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes, the Rick's stator is very strong with the voltage output, but it has an audible, clear whistle when the engine is cold.

Interesting also to note that my gas mileage went from 43 mpg to 39 mpg after the stator change.

I have not been that happy with the Rick's stator and questioning whether to put in another even if it is free.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
The ricks should be much better. What kind of insulation did the rewound stator have? I'm convinced that not only the vibration and heat, but the thin plastic insulation is to blame for these failures. The ricks has a thick, gritty insulation that has the texture, thickness and consistency of a spray-in truck bed liner. It's not going to be worn through.

Personally, I also got the whining/whistling when I installed the Rick's stator. Definitely a lump in my throat when I heard that sound! But it eventually when away, that was 20,000 miles ago, and I've not had an issue since. Continues to charge like a champ, even with several electrical accessories (aftermarket headlight bulb, tail-lights on the tour pak, and sometimes charging both my cellphone and helmet camera on the bike!)

Is it possible, at all, that a bolt wasn't torqued to spec or something was maybe done a little 'off'? There's not a lot of clearance in there.

BTW; I don't know about you, but my MPG's fluctuate a LOT. 43 to 39 would be well within the margin of error for MY bike (maybe not yours; but just throwing it out there.)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had also hoped that the noise would go away, but 5 months later it is still whistling on every start.

All bolts were tight and I used a torque wrench. If anything, possibly slightly over tightened, but I doubt that would be a problem.

The MPG drop has been noticeable. Easily 20 less miles on every tank.

I just wonder if it is worth all that effort to put the same part back in....

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Yikes. All I can say is "good luck"! Maybe contact Rick's and ask for input? Maybe they know the cause?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes - I did check the charging system while whistling. It charges just fine.

Strangely, it only whistles when the engine is cold. Whistle is gone at idle with warm engine.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When I had the Stator on my 900 rewound last year,It was fine while warmed up,But it had a major noise at idle while cold. The noise went away when I lifted the revvs,So I headed straight home 900km away.
The next morning after getting home,I pulled it down and found the stator mounting bolts were loose. Just tighter than finger tight and the black plastic parts in the flywheel were hitting the windings.
The noise was gone once I tensioned the mounting bolts up and used locktite on the threads too.
Although,When I removed the burned stator a few days ago,I did notice the mounting bolts had come a lot looser than I tensioned them up at. This time.I will clean out and dry the bolt holes before using more locktite.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Interesting that you had a similar noise. I know that I torqued down my stator bolts and used red Loctite. I'm sure they will be tough to get off in the future.

I hate to tear the bike down and replace the gasket just to check on some bolts, but I suspect I will do it in the next months because of the whistle.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts