Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after the mandated dealer first service it was time to change my oil (4000 kms). I decided to change early so I could get a feel for the process.
The nightmare began.
It seems the shop welded the oil filter on. Took me almost 3 hours to get that bastard off. Just as I had visions of trailering my bike to the shop, a broken and embarrassed and mad man, I gave it one final crank and voila....it moved.
The filter was just a piece of it's former self, completely destroyed with just the ring left around the contact point. A neighbor luckily had a funky set of pliers that gripped what was left.....and it finally came off.
The kicker that surprised me was the damn oil that came out looked like it was just poured out of the bottle. I tried all the tricks btw, started with an oil wrench, progressed eventually to sticking a screwdriver through the frame and into the mangled filter. It was a nightmare.
Moral of the story? For those of you about to get your first service done, go into the shop and explain that oil filters should only be a bit beyond hand tight. I can only imagine the bastard that put mine on laughing uncontrollably to his buddies.............

·
Registered
137 Posts
Me too. When I scheduled my 600 miles service, they told me how much it was going to be. Needless to say, I said, "No, I'll do it myself." Then I said, just sell me the crush washer for the oil change and I'll get out of here. THEY DIDN"T HAVE ONE! So how in the world were they going to do my service right....hmmm?

So after a couple of days, the washer came in and I did my own service...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Odds are that the so called "tech" that did the service, didn't lube the filter gasket prior to install. Once it gets cooked on it about takes an act of god to remove!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Crush washer? Please enlighten me......for the drain bolt?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Odds are that the so called "tech" that did the service, didn't lube the filter gasket prior to install. Once it gets cooked on it about takes an act of god to remove!
Oh...I was calling on him frequently.............:eek:

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have been an auto tech since 1986 and fully ASE certified and various other certifications since then. I know you are supposed to lube / oil up the seal ring on the filter but seriously...95% of the time there is oil on the contact surface. It makes no sense to lube it some more. I have never had a problem removing any filters I myself have installed.

It is true that the filters are not supposed to be tightened further than 3/4 turn past contact, and that is maximum.

·
Registered
533 Posts
At my second oil change I went to an Indy shop. Took the mechanic with a strap wrench and me with a pair of very large pliers at the same time to even budge the oil filter. I always understood "finger tight + a quarter turn". Evidentally the Kawi mechanic had too many Wheaties for breakfast when he did the initial changeover.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
At my second oil change I went to an Indy shop. Took the mechanic with a strap wrench and me with a pair of very large pliers at the same time to even budge the oil filter. I always understood "finger tight + a quarter turn". Evidentially the Kawi mechanic had too many Wheaties for breakfast when he did the initial changeover.
Now this has me worried LOL my dealership is a full line metric as well as Victory and Harley and I think Buell. These guys might be used to trying to keep Harleys from leaking LOL that is why they put the filters on so tight.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Surely they didn't actually weld the filter on... maybe they used some loctite?
Mine didn't come with a true "crush washer" but more like an aluminum washer. It works too, because i forgot to put it on the first time i changed the oil and it dripped a bit until i replaced it on the next oil change... i just told folks that my bike was trying to be a Harley. : )

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
[email protected]
I also have an aluminum washer, with no drips.
Is it just the 09's that have an aluminum washer?
Crush washers AND an aluminum washer would be overkill.

·
Registered
441 Posts
[email protected]
I also have an aluminum washer, with no drips.
Is it just the 09's that have an aluminum washer?
Crush washers AND an aluminum washer would be overkill.
Crush washer or aluminum washer it is the same thing. The aluminum ring / washer does crush a little bit and as said before they do work. You can reuse the aluminum one in a pinch but for the price why would you? If you do though please note it does make getting the washer off the plug much harder with repeated re-use. A pair of "dykes" diagonal pliers helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Me too. When I scheduled my 600 miles service, they told me how much it was going to be. Needless to say, I said, "No, I'll do it myself." Then I said, just sell me the crush washer for the oil change and I'll get out of here. THEY DIDN"T HAVE ONE! So how in the world were they going to do my service right....hmmm?

So after a couple of days, the washer came in and I did my own service...
My dealer drains the oil through the filter screen plug. I tried it myself and it completely drained all the oil, even sitting on the kickstand. The o-ring seal is good for several changes if you are careful with it.

I prefer this method since the torque specs for the oil pan drain plug in the service manual are for dry threads. When the threads get oil on them, they get torqued tighter since they are now lubed, eventually causing the threads to strip.

--Cheers!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Not a wrench head

I am not what you would classify as a wrench head, but my experience with most motorcycle shops are that they employ the lowest paid individuals to do their wrenching, is is especially true for "factory" shops.

I do all my own wrenching after spending countless dollars on "professional" mechanics only to find out later (and usually some additional cost to my pocket book) that they either neglected something or plan just messed it up.

Going back and complaining has done nothing to increase my love for "professional" motorcycle mechanics as they all seem to think they are infallible to errors even after I point out the obvious mistake/s.

·
Registered
108 Posts
This is something EVERYONE never thinks of, every shop both automotive and small engine (motorcycle shops) employ apprentices after all everyone in the trade has to start out somewhere right? Certified or Licensed techs do know how to install oil filters properly, not all apprentices especially first years do. Oil changes are considered a medial task and beneath most senior mechanics therefore they are handed to the pee-ons aka apprentices. Often their work is never corrected until a complaint comes back to haunt them. The only thing i can suggest you do which might take a service manager by surprise since its not a commonly asked is a "no apprentice on my vehicle please" request. There is no guarantee that they will honor it but at the very least you can convey your concerns with a horror story from the past ie. the oil filter installed with an impact gun by an idiot apprentice and maybe, just maybe they will be careful with your bike/car or truck.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts