Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new Royal Enfield Classic 350 dark gunmetal grey model as a stablemate for the vn900 classic. I was putting too many miles on one bike (that's my excuse anyway ) and thought sharing the miles between 2 bikes might even make financial sense regarding depreciation. I fancied trying a single cylinder 4 stroke and the new RE 350 Classic just looks the part, although I would have preferred a bigger capacity engine. Not received delivery yet but will report on how it rides if anybody is interested.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I had never heard of Royal Enfield until I spotted one featured on the show Murder in Paradise. I was surprised to see they were still being made. Good looking bikes. I'll be interested to hear what you think of it.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had never heard of Royal Enfield until I spotted one featured on the show Murder in Paradise. I was surprised to see they were still being made. Good looking bikes. I'll be interested to hear what you think of it. View attachment 259014
Royal Enfield are an old British company going back years but they are made in India now of course. The Enfield Bullet model was made for years but has been replaced by new models now. I was initially attracted to a 500cc classic tribute (special edition of 1000 bikes only ) model but a local RE dealer persuaded me the latest version of the 350cc engine (they don't do a 500cc version anymore ) is much better.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Just bought a new Royal Enfield Classic 350 .....
...will report on how it rides if anybody is interested.
Yes, I am interested. I love my 2011 Royal Enfield G5 Bullet 500 Electra Deluxe that I had to completely rebuild once I 1st got it in 2020. I believe I have the only one in Texas. It is a hoot and I am sure the 350 will be as well.

Fuel tank Tire Automotive fuel system Wheel Automotive tire

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never ridden a single cylinder bike. What's the attraction? Seems like it would be rough as hell.
I have only ridden a single cylinder 100cc excelsior bike and that was my first bike years ago and a 2 stroke.
The new RE 350cc engines have a counterbalance and apparently are much smoother than the older version 350 and 500cc single cylinder RE Bullets. Will tell you when I have ridden it. They get excellent reviews from riders who are into classic type bikes. The 350 Classic ,although a completely new bike ,is like a modern version of the old Bullet rather than ' a retro ' like a lot of bikes, if that makes any sense !
Yes, I am interested. I love my 2011 Royal Enfield G5 Bullet 500 Electra Deluxe that I had to completely rebuild once I 1st got it in 2020. I believe I have the only one in Texas. It is a hoot and I am sure the 350 will be as well.
View attachment 259033
Only one in Texas - and that's a big place isn't it !
Just received the bike, not ridden yet, it's in my garage,rather wet here today.:)
These bikes are most happy @ 55mph or lower on rural roads. Anything above 65mph and they develop enough "character" to break the tack-welds on your eyeballs.
The 'reborn' classic 350 is a completely new engine with balancer whatever it is to reduce vibration.There is a video showing the old engined bike with a glass of water on the seat which vibrates and falls off. The water in the glass on the seat of the new 350 just ripples when the engine is revved,so that seems a pretty good indication that the bike doesn't have the same 'vibrating character' as the old bikes. But yes, they aren't designed to do more than 70 mph.
Still got the vn900 as my main bike.

·
Registered
2006 Nomad 1600
84 Posts
When I think of the old single cylinder I can't help but think of all the "thumpers" out there. I am on my second KLR 650 and love it. I had a 2009 and was just too thumped and way too much plastic up front for those types of bikes.

I found another 1st Gen KLR 650 and I put a after market 685 kit in it. Now the Thumper vibration feeling is going and it is a great bike. It is for running errands in town or just to blow off some steam. It gets 45 mpg and with the 685 kit in it has some significant better throttle feeling.

All the other smaller street only bikes I don't have any saddle time on. Smallest I have is a XS400 and that little thing has a six speed in it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First ride on classic 350 about 40 miles. Seems ok but running in - new tyres, wet roads, max 43 mph for first 300 miles anyway . Not much faster up to first 1250 miles - will have better idea when run .Obviously a bit different from vn900 classic in most respects.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts