Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Kawasaki VN900B
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Vulcan 900B. I picked up the Air Hawk Cruiser pad when I bought the bike back in March. I've tried countless levels of inflation and found that the recommended 1/2 inch inflation is good for about an hour. I'm planning my first big trip from New Jersey to Cleveland next season so I need my back and butt to be happy for extended periods of time. I know this forum is full of seat reviews but I'm looking for the riders that have a similar body type at 6'2 240 lbs with a 32' inseam. I have a "taller torso" if that makes any sense. I don't really have a budget but the favored Mustang Touring is $580 and the Ultimate is $480, so I guess I'm looking at $500-$600. Any input about the Mustang, Ultimate or a different brand would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,492 Posts
Seats join oil, exhaust, handlebars, and a few other things that have been discussed to length on this forum. Unfortunately there’s as many opinions as there are butts. Would do some searches for lots of reading.
Here is a link to Russell Day Long Seats. They get great reviews. Had one on a Goldwing years ago and it was excellent. Posted this link because if you view the pictures they make very wide seats. They are pricey, but such is the cost of saving your butt. 😀

·
Registered
2012 Nomad
1,097 Posts
I have an air hawk on my seat on my 1700 Nomad.
It's not perfect but it helps.
Have you tried it with very low pressure? I mean like with about one large breath.
I tried different presssures but the "almost no pressure" works the best for me. It sounds crazy but most folks over inflate them.

·
Registered
2006 Kawasaki VN900B
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seats join oil, exhaust, handlebars, and a few other things that have been discussed to length on this forum. Unfortunately there’s as many opinions as there are butts. Would do some searches for lots of reading.
Here is a link to Russell Day Long Seats. They get great reviews. Had one on a Goldwing years ago and it was excellent. Posted this link because if you view the pictures they make very wide seats. They are pricey, but such is the cost of saving your butt. 😀

Thanks for the input Tourer. I visited the Russell site and if I make a decision, I should do it quick because it can take up to 12 weeks lol. Do you have an aftermarket seat on your current bike and if so, what brand?

·
Registered
2006 Kawasaki VN900B
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an air hawk on my seat on my 1700 Nomad.
It's not perfect but it helps.
Have you tried it with very low pressure? I mean like with about one large breath.
I tried different presssures but the "almost no pressure" works the best for me. It sounds crazy but most folks over inflate them.
Yeah, it's not bad but I wouldn't risk it for my big trip. I did the same thing, trying out different pressures. I took a several hour ride and started from 2 or 3 big breaths and slowly let out to nothing. I'll definitely try the lower pressure before I pull the trigger on a new seat. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm 6'1", 32" inseam, 210 pounds. The 900 Custom seat was awful for me. And in the end the 900 was just too small for me. I traded up to a 1700 Voyager because I just couldn't find a comfortable seat or combination of seat and pegs that were usable for more than 30 minutes. The 1700 seat is really nice. My butt doesn't go numb; my legs don't go numb; I can do a 4 hour ride and still feel my feet. If you want to keep the 900, you might consider what the differences are between the 900 seat and the 1700 seat; what can be done to upgrade the 900 seat to match the comfort of the seat on the 1700.

·
Registered
2006 Kawasaki VN900B
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm 6'1", 32" inseam, 210 pounds. The 900 Custom seat was awful for me. And in the end the 900 was just too small for me. I traded up to a 1700 Voyager because I just couldn't find a comfortable seat or combination of seat and pegs that were usable for more than 30 minutes. The 1700 seat is really nice. My butt doesn't go numb; my legs don't go numb; I can do a 4 hour ride and still feel my feet. If you want to keep the 900, you might consider what the differences are between the 900 seat and the 1700 seat; what can be done to upgrade the 900 seat to match the comfort of the seat on the 1700.
I don't think my skill level is high enough to jump on a 1700 lol but I'll do some research and see what the differences are. I saw Mean City Cycles out of NC that takes the stock seat and puts new foam inside which is a hell of a lot cheaper than an aftermarket, so I have that option as well. Throughout the years, have you ever bought a brad new aftermarket seat?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I saw Mean City Cycles out of NC that takes the stock seat and puts new foam inside which is a hell of a lot cheaper than an aftermarket, so I have that option as well. Throughout the years, have you ever bought a brad new aftermarket seat?
I have bought new aftermarket seats, but have never loved them (though others have--I have specific bad back + hip issues). Nor have I loved their prices.

I have also re-done the foam/padding in stock seats and sometimes have loved them and sometimes have not been happy with the results. I did re-foam and add padding to my VN900 seat. It improved rideability for me by about 30 minutes, but I have plans to go across country on my VN1700 and the VN900 just wouldn't have worked for me.

Adding foam is a relatively easy DIY if you have a bit of skill with a staple gun. For me, there was enough seat "pleather" available that I didn't need to add any; I could just stretch the fabric a bit extra after adding in the extra foam. I used 1/2" staples and a hand-operated mechanical staple gun. I wished I'd had a cordless electric staple gun--some of the angles are weird and it was difficult to hold the stapler against those curves tightly enough while also triggering the hammer. I don't have photos, but I could give a walkthrough if desired. But, honestly, it's really quite straightforward.

·
Registered
2006 Kawasaki VN900B
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have bought new aftermarket seats, but have never loved them (though others have--I have specific bad back + hip issues). Nor have I loved their prices.

I have also re-done the foam/padding in stock seats and sometimes have loved them and sometimes have not been happy with the results. I did re-foam and add padding to my VN900 seat. It improved rideability for me by about 30 minutes, but I have plans to go across country on my VN1700 and the VN900 just wouldn't have worked for me.

Adding foam is a relatively easy DIY if you have a bit of skill with a staple gun. For me, there was enough seat "pleather" available that I didn't need to add any; I could just stretch the fabric a bit extra after adding in the extra foam. I used 1/2" staples and a hand-operated mechanical staple gun. I wished I'd had a cordless electric staple gun--some of the angles are weird and it was difficult to hold the stapler against those curves tightly enough while also triggering the hammer. I don't have photos, but I could give a walkthrough if desired. But, honestly, it's really quite straightforward.
I have a bad lower back myself so I feel you on that. I'm somewhat handy so what do you think about gutting out some of the foam but I'll use this Purple cushion instead of a different type of foam? Or even so, I can utilize my Airhawk by removing the air bladder and again, cut the Purple cushion to the shape of the Airhawk. My girl's company just bought these for everyone in her office. She brought it home last night and it turned an antique rocking chair into a lazyboy lol. Seriously the most comfortable cusion I've ever sat on.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a bad lower back myself so I feel you on that. I'm somewhat handy so what do you think about gutting out some of the foam but I'll use this Purple cushion instead of a different type of foam? Or even so, I can utilize my Airhawk by removing the air bladder and again, cut the Purple cushion to the shape of the Airhawk. My girl's company just bought these for everyone in her office. She brought it home last night and it turned an antique rocking chair into a lazyboy lol. Seriously the most comfortable cusion I've ever sat on.
I think you could totally do it. One "trick" I used was to keep the back seat fabric stapled down and just release the front seat fabric. This allowed me not to have to fight with getting the fabric perfectly positioned. But be careful not to tear the fabric if you do this.

The Purple cushion is certainly an option; I don't know how its gel will respond to cutting and shaping, but it's $100 and some time instead of $600... I used closed cell foam and memory foam and a sharp razor and sliced up pieces to fit into the shape I wanted.

·
Registered
2006 Kawasaki VN900B
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think you could totally do it. One "trick" I used was to keep the back seat fabric stapled down and just release the front seat fabric. This allowed me not to have to fight with getting the fabric perfectly positioned. But be careful not to tear the fabric if you do this.

The Purple cushion is certainly an option; I don't know how its gel will respond to cutting and shaping, but it's $100 and some time instead of $600... I used closed cell foam and memory foam and a sharp razor and sliced up pieces to fit into the shape I wanted.
I'll try the Airhawk idea first because it's less evasive haha. The Purple is rectangular so I'll use a new razor to round the corners and pop it into the Airhawk cover. If the Purple doesn't work out, you're saying I basically fold over the front of the fabric to the back to anchor it down and then I can re-foam. Got it. If the Purple works I'll post some pics in a few months when I do it. Thanks for all the tips! Stay safe out there!

·
Registered
37 Posts
If the Purple doesn't work out, you're saying I basically fold over the front of the fabric to the back to anchor it down and then I can re-foam. Got it. If the Purple works I'll post some pics in a few months when I do it. Thanks for all the tips! Stay safe out there!
Basically. Pull the staples from the front and sides of the seat up to the point where the material climbs up to the "passenger" portion, a little beyond where you plan to put the new foam but not all the way off, then fold it out of the way, being careful not to tear it at the staples that are remaining.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts