Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, really new at this forum so give pointers as needed.

I have an 06 900 Classic LT. The original seat is not very comfortable. Please recommend a good comfortable after market seat.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I went with a Mustang seat from ebay about $380.00! I and the wife love the seat, she can ride forever with no pain what so ever. It took me about 500 mile to get it broke in, the seat sat me up about a inch and forward about a inch so it put me in a better riding position. It's by far the best money i invested into my bike and it looks a lot better on my bike than the OEM seat! Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
782 Posts
For a little less money, you can also get the Saddlemen King Seat. I think it is just as comfortable as the Mustang Seat and I like the looks a little better. If you ride two up though, the passenger section may be a little narrow. I guess it is for guys with skinny ass girlfriends.

Just look at any of the major aftermarket stores like Motorcycle Superstore, Cruiser Customizing, Dennis Kirk, etc. They should have both of these seats shown. I also have to plug Motorcycle Superstore per they have a really easy return service. That is how I know about both the Mustang & Saddlemen seats.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I have heard nothing good about the gel seat. I, on the other hand, love my Mustang seat with driver backrest.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I too went with Mustang and have no regrets. As diehard mentioned it took about 500 miles to break it in and it did move me up slightly, giving the bike a totally different feel. There are many great after market seats available; Corbin, Saddleman, and Mustang to name a few. Just search this forum for some great information. I've heard that the gel seats get somewhat warm in the summer heat. I purchased my Mustang from Dennis Kirk and received it in two days, DK will also beat any advertised price.

·
Registered
851 Posts
No matter what seat you go with, we all agree on one thing that the OEM seat sucks! Kawi could have done something better for our asses than that! lol

·
Registered
149 Posts
I bought a Flame Gel seat from Leeson's (Kawa dealer) in West Virginia and I thought it was very comfortable. I believe it was in the low $200s.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Mustang seat! +100. Know it looks expensive now, but it's worth it, IMHO. Hint: ride the original seat for 200+ miles the day before your Mustang seat arrives, it waves the 500 mile break-in period instantly! (as soon as your back quits hurting from the previous ride!) You're gonna love the bike. You're gonna love it more as soon as you get rid of that original seat. Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Has anyone or do know of anyone who has tried that Kawasaki gel seat?
I rode on the Kawi gel seat for about 7000 miles. I like it just fine. However, the misses could only get in about 2 hours on it bfore she needed a break (I guess any seat will feel like you need a break after a couple hours). If anybody wants to try one out without spending several hundred on a new one it's available ($75.00).

I am now riding on a Mustang. It's honestly not much more comfortable. These guys are all leaving out the negative. It puts you up higher and farther forward. Same thing with the passenger. This changes the way the bike handles, from turning to braking; particularly hard breaking! If I could go back in time I probably wouldn't have made the purchase.

·
Registered
39 Posts
There are many aftermarket seats out there. Mustang, Saddleman, and Corbin probly being the most common and popular. As far as the rider goes, I have heard nothing but good things about any of these. If you ride two up often, I would look at the Mustang. Most people I have seen and heard have had a few complaints as far as passanger comfort with the Saddleman and Corbins. Its kind of a crap shoot as far as comfort goes. I personally have a Mustang Wide Touring seat on my 07 Classic LT. As stated, it does move the rider foward and up and inch or two, but for me, that was not a negative. I am in a more comfortable riding position that way. Others havn't liked it. Every passanger who I have had on has also been very comfortable. Saddleman and Corbin are also good, but do some research. I personally like the looks of the Mustang better than the others, but that is just personal taste. Others will say the Saddleman looks better, etc. There are many places on the net to check out pics of differant seats. I would go with whatever looks best to you and suits your individual taste. They are all going to be much better that stock.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So KenDawg, is your gel seat for sale? Or what do you mean "Try it for $75?

Here is the thing. I like my 900 but I don't plan to keep this bike so I don't want to spend alot of $$$$.

I will be looking to trade for a Nomad in the future.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey kyvulcan900,
Does the seat set you about in the same position? I have been reding from the others that the mustang seat pushes you froward. I am 6' 3" I don't want to move forward if I don't have to.

Also, how are those Roadburner pipes? Did you have to install a power commander? If so how does the bike start and run after that?

Sorry for all the questions. Just started riding last year and can't wait for the snow to melt to get mine out of the garage.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
>.>

I uh...I actually think the stock seat is okay XD

Seriously, I can camp out on the the thing for hell...3-4 hours before my ass goes to sleep. Probably because I used to play online games and my computer chair was less comfortable than my bike seat. Honestly, it's my floorboards that cause me the most discomfort. My feet go numb after about 2 hours and then I look all gimpy when I try to stop. That's why I'm ordering a crash bar and highway pegs next week.

Edit: However, my wife hates the stock seat and on most trips we ride for 45 minutes and rest for 15. I'm hoping the sissy bar will help her find a more comfortable position to sit in.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Gel Seat

Hey kyvulcan900,
Does the seat set you about in the same position? I have been reding from the others that the mustang seat pushes you froward. I am 6' 3" I don't want to move forward if I don't have to.

Also, how are those Roadburner pipes? Did you have to install a power commander? If so how does the bike start and run after that?

Sorry for all the questions. Just started riding last year and can't wait for the snow to melt to get mine out of the garage.
here is a pic of the seat
http://woolwine.net/images/4.jpg

The roadburner pipes sound great. Yes I have the Cobra FI2000 works great.

·
Registered
950 Posts
So KenDawg, is your gel seat for sale? Or what do you mean "Try it for $75?

Here is the thing. I like my 900 but I don't plan to keep this bike so I don't want to spend alot of $$$$.

I will be looking to trade for a Nomad in the future.
It's for sale :) I'll take some digital pics of it in the morning and post them if you would like. For now, here is what it looks like on the bike.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I bought the Kawi Custom Gel Seat with flames for my 900 Custom last year. I got it on e-bay for $235! And I love it. My longest ride on it so far has been just over 2 hours non stop. No pain and no squirming!

A couple things you should know before you buy. This seat is firm when new. O.K. it's freaking hard. And it takes a while to break in. Quite a while. I actually considered having it worked on after I had it a while to make it softer. Glad I didn't do it. Now it's awesome. The other thing is it raises your seat height about an inch. Not really a big deal, but I've got short legs so I no longer stop flat footed. I've adapted!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
From my experience, OEM seats for any motorcycle are marginal at best, and some are downright awful. I've had a few like that. Off-the-shelf seats such as the Mustang are generally a big improvement, but may not be perfect for everyone. They are spendy, but if you can afford a Russell Day Long saddle, you will actually have a custom seat made just for you and nobody else. You can send your OEM seat in or do a ride-in to have a seat made. They use the stock seat pan. I've had a few Russell seats, and they are great. They can address your every need, and the seat's comfort is guaranteed. I know some feel the Russell seats look a bit goofy, but when your comfort is paramount, who cares? Besides, you're not looking at the seat when you're riding anyway, but you sure are sitting on it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts