Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone...

Quick question. I've put around 1,200 miles on my bike in 3 weeks this year so far, and have finally identified the cause of my pain. I'm 6' 3" and, I am constantly pushing myself back on the seat, to not bend my knees to bad.

However, with me always pushing myself back, I have an intense pain in my tailbone, that sometimes doesn't go away for days...And being only 19 years old, that can't be good. The pain usually starts after about 50 miles, and goes away for 10 miles or so after a 15 minute break, but comes back immediately at that 10 miles...

So, I'm looking for a seat that will move me back a few inches, as well as footpegs that are more forward...Any ideas?

And an updated picture of my bike!

As you can see,
Debaffled pipes, Sirius Satellite radio, Speakers, GPS, Windshield, Exhaust Guard, and trailer hitch....

Picture of my dad's, and my bike. He just got the bike, and hasn't rode it yet.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
dont know if front floor boards are avail for your bike, i have a classic lt with boards and can move my feet in a whole range of motion, including streching my legs straight out, a different seat may not do it, i have a mustang and it feels shorter in length over the oem seat, but much more support and comfort, may be try highway pegs.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I don't know of a seat that will move you backwards any discernable amount. The Mustang seat actually moves you forward and up^. The Saddlemen seat leaves you in the same spot, but lowers you some.

I would start looking into changing your controls. The suggestion about floorboards may work for you. I have read where folks are putting Classic floorboards on Customs. Also, you may want to look at highway bars with pegs or maybe just some pegs mounted to the frame. Anything to get your feet out and forward some on the long streches of highway. I have Cobra bars with Kuryakyn small ISO pegs. See picture. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
This is th exact same problem I have. I have been told that's it's the seat. I have started to look into replacement seats. I'm down to Mustang and Corbin.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Kury makes some switchblade pegs that swing out to move your legs 3" forward, and 3" farther out to the sides as well. Or you could get some engine guards with highway pegs. I'd be leary of a seat that moved you farther back, as it would cut down on the padding?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know of a seat that will move you backwards any discernable amount. The Mustang seat actually moves you forward and up^. The Saddlemen seat leaves you in the same spot, but lowers you some.

I would start looking into changing your controls. The suggestion about floorboards may work for you. I have read where folks are putting Classic floorboards on Customs. Also, you may want to look at highway bars with pegs or maybe just some pegs mounted to the frame. Anything to get your feet out and forward some on the long streches of highway. I have Cobra bars with Kuryakyn small ISO pegs. See picture. Good luck.
I think I may try some highway pegs and a new seat. Is the saddleman seat a good choice?

This is th exact same problem I have. I have been told that's it's the seat. I have started to look into replacement seats. I'm down to Mustang and Corbin.
I like the corbin seat a lot. I like how I can get orange stitching to match the bike!

Kury makes some switchblade pegs that swing out to move your legs 3" forward, and 3" farther out to the sides as well. Or you could get some engine guards with highway pegs. I'd be leary of a seat that moved you farther back, as it would cut down on the padding?
Do you have these? How do they work? This sounds like a greattt idea and throw some highway pegs and a new seat on as well, that way I have multiple positions to move too.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Do you have these? How do they work? This sounds like a greattt idea and throw some highway pegs and a new seat on as well, that way I have multiple positions to move too.
I don't own them *yet*, but I've ridden a bike with them attached and it was a VERY comfortable position. I'm 6'4" and 250lbs, so stretching out a bit more is always beneficial, and it sounds like they would help with the problem you're describing.

The guy I ride with a lot saw me with my legs resting on the pegs one day, my feet hanging over the front, and made the recommendation. He also suggested some apes tall enough to put my hands at shoulder height. That upgrade is a little more costly, but someday hope to do that as well, as a test ride with some apes helped me see that it betters my ride posture a bit, taking some of the tailbone pressure away as well.

Of course, these are all based on my experience and preferences, YMMV. :D

Here's the manufacturer's link: http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go/Home.ProductDetail/catID/18/scID/46/IMID/782

I know MeanCycles (one of the forum sponsors) carries them for a bit less, and I'm sure there are lots of other places that carry them as well.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Going with a taller handlebar will certainly straighten your posture, and put you more bluntly into the wind. This may be less of a detraction than it sounds since sitting up straighter will lessen the curvature of your spine and place your weight on your buttocks instead of the tailbone. I don't like tall bars, am fighting tooth and nail the need to do just that to straighten up some. I find that after a couple hours of riding my 800 my abs start to cramp. Leaning the bars back a little helped alleviate that some but the way your bars mount that is not an option. Possibly a set of risers that bring the bars farther back, so you are sitting more upright would help.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just got the swing wing pegs. I will be mounting them tonight when I get home and will take some pictures. (at work now) not quite 3 inches of movement, but close as well as the outward movement.

I just looked all over for forward controls (I may still do it later) and this was what I could afford. My 6'7" frame needed something!

I still think I want the mustang seat though.

·
BOTM Winner, January 2014
275 Posts
Look up grumpywirth, he makes a set of forward control extenders for the 900 Custom for about $100.

They do make floorboards for the 900 Custom, check with your local dealer. As far as I know, they do mount in the current forward position, NOT in the location of the 900 Classic. This is one of the reasons the Lindby highway bars do not work on the 900 Custom, but work perfect on the 900 Classic.

·
Registered
84 Posts
check this out - these guys can modify your existing seat to relieve the pain and move you back and down on the bike some. I did their "Memory foam Mod" last summer and I couldn't be happier - no more tailbone pain and i sit about an inch-and-a-half further back than before. The biggest plus is that it only cost me about $140+shipping, you can't get a Mustang or Corbin for that.
http://meancitycycles.com/motorcycle_seat_modifications.php

I am 6'1" 260lbs and am very comfortable now that i did the seat mod and added highway pegs.......

·
Registered
782 Posts
In reply to Stuffdeer: (let me guess, your a taxidermist?)

I have the Saddlemen King Seat and I like it much better than the Mustang seat. The Mustang seat wasn't bad in the butt padding area, but I had a problem with the way the passenger pad jutted forward to make the "backrest". This part of the pad actually sticks out 1/4"-1/2" past the lower part of the seat. For me, this became really uncomfortable after about 30-45 minutes and my lower back would become sore where the pad was hitting it.

One thing about the Saddlemen seat, it tends to lower you some compared to stock. For me, that was great (I'm 5' 10"). It actually makes me feel a little more stable at stop lights. I wasn't tippy-toe before, but I was at my full reach to be flat footed on the stock seat. For someone taller... I don't know. I suggest buying your seat from Dennis Kirk. They have a great return policy in case you don't like the seat.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In reply to Stuffdeer: (let me guess, your a taxidermist?)

I have the Saddlemen King Seat and I like it much better than the Mustang seat. The Mustang seat wasn't bad in the butt padding area, but I had a problem with the way the passenger pad jutted forward to make the "backrest". This part of the pad actually sticks out 1/4"-1/2" past the lower part of the seat. For me, this became really uncomfortable after about 30-45 minutes and my lower back would become sore where the pad was hitting it.

One thing about the Saddlemen seat, it tends to lower you some compared to stock. For me, that was great (I'm 5' 10"). It actually makes me feel a little more stable at stop lights. I wasn't tippy-toe before, but I was at my full reach to be flat footed on the stock seat. For someone taller... I don't know. I suggest buying your seat from Dennis Kirk. They have a great return policy in case you don't like the seat.

I am a Taxidermist. Haha, good guess, first one in all the years of having this screen name at many other various forums!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts