Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 Vulcan 500 in very nice shape.

I want to get at the battery to check the connections and loctite them.

My vintage Vulcan does not have the bolts at the rear of the seat.
And to complicate matters more.....the seat lock has been removed. It is not there.

So, can anyone offer suggestions as to how I remove the seat. I know it is supposed to be lifted from the front and then slid forward....as opposed to the method used on the later Vulcan 500's.

When I do lift and try to slide it forward, I meet resistance and I don't want to force it too hard and ruin something.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've got a 1991, and they probably are not that much different. The seat has a short pin in front, near the tank, that goes into the frame and the lock is connected to a latch that holds the pin and keeps the seat from being removed. There are two points, middle and back, where the seat slides under other parts of the frame. The seat removes by unlocking (when you have a lock, of course), lifting up on the front about 1 to 1-1/2 inches, then pulling forward.

A cable runs underneath the fender and into the frame up to the latch. If the cable is still there, you might be able to find a way to pull it and trip the latch.

I took some pictures of mine for your reference.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
swampcat--thank you very much. Thanks for taking the time to take and post the photos.
That makes it very clear and will be very helpful!
Sunday will be the next time I can attempt to remove it again. I believe with your instructions and pix I will be able to remove the seat without doing any damage. I'll check for the cable first....and if it's not there then I will proceed from there.

Many, many thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Glad to be of assistance. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Swampcat--found the cable. flipped it out to the outside, where I could get a pair of pliers to pull on the end and viola, the seat unlatched. I slid it forward and up. The whole process took about 20 seconds----lol.
I feel like an idiot.....
But thank you for caring enough to help. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Glad it was so easy and you didn't have to do major surgery on the bike.

No reason to feel like an idiot. If the guy who sold me my bike hadn't shown me, I don't know how long it would have taken me to get under the seat the first time. Since I brought it home and turned the key to "P" instead of "Off," I had to pop that seat the next morning to recharge the battery. :eek: Talk about feeling like an idiot...and I know my wife was thinking in her head that she was crazy for letting me buy the bike.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I suppose we all have our "moments".

thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts