Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having troubles getting the seat off to install the battery after a winter in the house. My wife has lost the original key and the copy I have just won't unlock. Anyone have any ideas? I have sometime before I ride, but with the warming up I wanted to get it started up.

·
Registered
643 Posts
My seat lock sticks all the time. I find that if I press down on the back of the seat while turning the key it unlocks easily. I make a point of putting little lubricstion on the cable and lock assembly when I have the seat off. You might want to try spraying s little wD40 into the seat lock cylinder just is case it got a little corroded.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have always had to push on the rear half of the seat, to get the key to un-lock the darn thing. No amount of oil,grease, or lube helps. So now it is part of the process. I thought it was because it was an aftermarket seat, still much quicker that a bolt:)

On a side note I had four tries on getting copy's of the original key to work on all three locks.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Shoot, my seat lock is so tight, my key is twisted. Not quite to the point of it not working, but close enough to where it randomly doesn't want tot work in the fork locks or ignition.

·
Registered
353 Posts
on a Custom, one can reach under the seat from the right side w/ a 7" screw driver and push on the mechanism in order to release the seat... push the arm that holds the end on the cable.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Seat lock

Same here. Pressure on the seat while turning the key helps me. I have found for my use, a light grease works better then the oils.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Dang I was searching around for a way to tighten up my lock because my seat rattles a bit from being too loose. Guess I should be happy with what I have. It was better before I cranked the shock up for some reason. Maybe that's the fix, crank your shock up or down and try???

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the help. A little WD and pressure on the seat worked. You guys are the best!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts