Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we all know our stock seats are junk, especially being a tall guy it hurts & the lady doesn't last that long. I have looked at different after market seats (I like the Mustang) but they can be expensive. I rode my buddys Vulcan2000 & VTX1800 and the seat was really comfortable, sooo the question is, will a stock 1500,1700,2k fit on our bikes?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Nope!!! The quest for a comfortable seat is a lonely and potentually expensive journey. Welcome to our world and welcome to the forum...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yea, if you do a search you'll see all of the discussion here on seats. There is no "right" answer to your question. You can spend thousands of dollars trying to find the right seat and still only come out with minimal success ... if that. My advice, get a seat cushion from Wal-mart and take plenty of breaks when you ride. Otherwise save your money for chrome goodies. ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I took mine to a custom upholstery shop that does a lot of motorcycle seats. I told him what I wanted (more dish, back, cushion, added a little back to move me up 1/2") and he used the stock seat reshaped plus other various padding (layers) and recovered the seat with better material for $150.00.. and did it in a day. It has been awesome... very comfortable.. rode an hour and a half day after getting it back and only needed to stop for food & gas. I don't what you have around you, but it may be an option. $600 was way too high for me, and the stock seat definitely needed to go.

If you are around Houston: Kingwood Custom Upholstery in Porter, TX

·
Registered
84 Posts
check these guys out:
http://meancitycycles.com/motorcycle_seat_modifications.php

my seat is currently at their shop being worked on.....i'm doing the Memory foam modification that should make a world of difference, once i have my seat back i'll let you guys know......that mod is only $100 plus shipping - sure beats $400 - $600 for a new seat.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i just did about 1300 miles in 4 days (430mi on 2 days) on my SE and the factory seat wasnt the greatest but i made it through it. Hours 5-7 seemed the most troubling.

I guess i am stupid on this subject but everyone is built different so how do you find a good saddle without trying a bunch of them? I am an average build of 6' and 190lbs so the stock seat isnt that bad but there were times when i was wishing i had something else.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It looks like the Mustang seat will move you down and back a little based on their web site's pictures. Let us know how you like it. Does it bring you up or is it about the same? I don't want to spend $ 400 if it won't make my ride more comfortable. The stock seat's height is okay for me, and the comfort level is okay for an hour or two, then it gets a little numbing.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I did the meancitycycles seat job and I've added an Airhawk cushion. Both worked.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I got a deal on a mustang seat with a backrest for my 900LT. I went from being able to ride 45 min or so to 70 min or so without a break. I'm 5'9" and over 200lbs...no back problems though.

My wife also uses an air hawk in addition to the mustang seat when she rides. However, an hour is about max for her. So far that hasn't been an issue as we generally are just riding around the lakes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts