Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Just purchased a 900 classic LT ( picking up on Wednesday ) haven't ridden in about 25 years. After reading the forum I think I should get a Mustang seat but I am trying to decide between the drivers backrest and not having the backrest. I was hoping some of the more experienced might chime in to help me with this decision.
thanks in advance.
Doug

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I say get the backrest. The seat is the same whether you have the backrest or not, so get it without and decide you want it, you can order just the backrest. I got the whole shebang in one shot and it is incredibly comfortable.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
The stock mustang has around a nine inch well to the top of the passenger cushion, more than enough for me ... its a personal preference. I don't liike back rests.... others do.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
For me, the backrest is a must. You may not need it, but I recommend getting the backrest with the seat. If you like riding long distances, you may come to really appreciate the extra back support it gives. For me it helps me to relax while riding. I've used back rests, now, for 20 years, and wouldn't be without one. Oh, and the Mustang seat is a great choice.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
oh yeah...the backrest is a wonderful addition to any ride... extends anyone's riding distance for sure as it lets you occassionaly relax the back and stomach muscles that are holding your upright posture....

There certainly is a lot of press about Mustang seats....but I prefer Russell Daylong seats for a seat that is actually comfortable..... based on direct experience... check em out...

Annie

Hi,
Just purchased a 900 classic LT ( picking up on Wednesday ) haven't ridden in about 25 years. After reading the forum I think I should get a Mustang seat but I am trying to decide between the drivers backrest and not having the backrest. I was hoping some of the more experienced might chime in to help me with this decision.
thanks in advance.
Doug

·
Registered
600 Posts
Give the stock seat a chance first. You may not need to replace. 62 y/o, 5'9'', 215 lbs , minor back problems and can take 500 mile days with the "dreaded" stock seat. Could it be better? Everything in life could be better, but it could also be worse.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Give the stock seat a chance first. You may not need to replace. 62 y/o, 5'9'', 215 lbs , minor back problems and can take 500 mile days with the "dreaded" stock seat. Could it be better? Everything in life could be better, but it could also be worse.
There in lied my problem, I like to ride more than 500 miles in a day. This year I am working for my Iron Ass patch.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Ride the bike a while and let your back tell you what you need. I tried both the Mustang and the OEM gel, and got the same butt burn with all three. I ended up with a Utopia backrest on the factory seat, for about $220. The Mustang with backrest is $550 or so.

I sold the Mustang, and kept the OEM gel seat. I found an extra latch bar, and can switch seats in about 30 seconds.

I use the gel seat for commuting and hauling grandkids, and use the seat with backrest when going on day or longer rides.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
I agree you should ride it with the stock seat first. If it works for you, you just saved some money. I made it about 3000 miles on the stock seat. Now I have the Mustang w/backrest. Wouldn't trade it. It allows you to adjust your upper body position after 5-6 hours and get comfortable again, well, at least it does that for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the factory gel seat on mine and find it works good for about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes before i need to stretch,but i also bought and Airhawk air cushion and this thing is amazing..can ride all day and not have any soreness at all..

·
Registered
39 Posts
For me, I went with the Mustang Wide touring seat without the back rest. The back rest gives you like 12 or 13 inches of support, and one without the rest give you like 9 or 10 inches. For me, I decided the extra few inches wasn't worth the 200 dollars more for the seat. I am prefectly happy with the seat even without. Things like this are really hard to decide on though because some people swear by the back rest, and some people, like me and perfectly happy without. I battled the same thing for a couple weeks, and like I said, I just decided I couldn't justify paying that much more for a couple more inches of back support.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts