Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the bike so it is going to be a while before I can afford to do anything to it but after spending some time in the saddle the saddle is quickly heading the top of the list of things I want to change. I had a horrible ride home with traffic in 90+ degree heat and that seat got less and less comfortable. So I can only imagine how much my crapper will hurt on a long ride. Has anyone come up with a ghetto rig to help the ole dumper on a long ride that doesn't require adding to the national deficit?

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I don't do any ghetto mods to my bikes. But, I suppose you could duct tape a pillow to the seat.

Have you considered Mean City Cycle?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't do any ghetto mods to my bikes. But, I suppose you could duct tape a pillow to the seat.

Well I'm not looking of for a permanent ghetto solution but I just can't afford to drop a bunch of coin on a new seat now so I just need something to hold me over for a while.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

That Mean City looks great and seems like a great idea to use what you've got and make it better instead of wasting $500+ on a new seat. Have you used them? However that almost looks like something you'd have to be fitted for in person to really know what you are getting or what will work for you. I wish there was a company like that in KC that I could go to in person and get fitted.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Look into a gel seat cover. There are different kinds and styles. I found this from a quick search on amazon. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HS468M/ref=s9_simh_gw_p263_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=0FVH08HERZKTPKRDT14W&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop[/ame]

·
Registered
445 Posts
Aron,
I used the Diamond gel seat pad I bought at Cycle Gear it was around $100. The selling point for me was they have a 30 day return policy. It worked well, made it possible to ride for hours rather than 45 minute stretches. Shop around you may find a deal

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
Many use a sheepskin pelt. I have heard they cool your bottom down and add comfort. Average price on amazon is about $60 for a full sized pelt to cover both rider and passenger. They can usually be had at many bike rallys and such too.

Another option I am looking into for my Glide is www.pillowtopseatcompany.com . I am probably going to send in my oem seat for a rebuild. Pricing isn't too bad depending on options. But if you only have the one seat it's probably a winter expenditure for most.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Maybe, just maybe there will be the magic product that will fix a sore ass. It does not matter if you are young or old, transgendered what ever, if you spend time in any motorcycle seat you are going to have sore parts.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
That Mean City looks great and seems like a great idea to use what you've got and make it better instead of wasting $500+ on a new seat. Have you used them? However that almost looks like something you'd have to be fitted for in person to really know what you are getting or what will work for you. I wish there was a company like that in KC that I could go to in person and get fitted.
No motorcycle manufacturer makes a perfect seat, but Kawasaki might make the worst ones ever created by human beings . . . LOL! But, let me say - money spent on a new, quality seat is far from wasted.

I've seen first-hand the work that they do at MCC, and it's great. Thousands of people have used them (they complete your seat and ship it right back to you!) without having to go do it in person. You just have to be able to tell them what you're looking for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maybe, just maybe there will be the magic product that will fix a sore ass. It does not matter if you are young or old, transgendered what ever, if you spend time in any motorcycle seat you are going to have sore parts.
I must respectfully disagree. I use a sheepskin on a stock seat on my Harley Fatboy and my ass never wears out, I've done a lot of 600-700 miles days. I took my Vulcan 2000 to John Longo in Rockville, MD and for about $300 he rebuilt the seat and I've ridden that to Florida (approximately 900 miles) in a single day several times with no problem.

Just my opinion, but custom seats are an easy answer to being able to ride longer. Since I started using custom seats, everything tires out before my ass on a long ride.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Airhawk and a sheepskin cover together make a huge improvement.

My setup is a Kawasaki comfort gel seat with a medium Airhawk and an Alaska sheepskin cover to top it off. I can ride all day now.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I'm still on a spending freeze from the bike purchase but thank everyone for all the options. Looks like I can get a pad for $50-100, send my seat to be fixed up for $100-250 or buy a new seat for $500+. I will definitely keep this post in my back pocket for when I have some free cash. I'm intrigued by the idea of taking my stock seat and making it better, seems like I would get a seat just about as good as the aftermarket ones but for half the cost or less.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Seat option

I just bought the bike so it is going to be a while before I can afford to do anything to it but after spending some time in the saddle the saddle is quickly heading the top of the list of things I want to change. I had a horrible ride home with traffic in 90+ degree heat and that seat got less and less comfortable. So I can only imagine how much my crapper will hurt on a long ride. Has anyone come up with a ghetto rig to help the ole dumper on a long ride that doesn't require adding to the national deficit?
I had a similar problem on my kawasaki voyager, hot days were real bad, I also couldn't afford a new seat so I opted for a sheepskin cover.

Just drops on the seat, I bought the 2" thick wool option.

Great in heat and cold.

Love it and it was only about $89 from RidersInfo.net

Great product and great service.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought an Airhawk R seat pad, was skeptical but they offered a 90 day money back guarantee. Now I know why they can offer that... once you use one you won't want to give it back. All day rides are no problem now.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Mean City Cycles is great and they'll fit you nicely when you fill out their questionnaire. I had two seats done by them.

+1 on Blue diamond gel pad.

+1 on Alaska sheepskin.

Airhawk, size medium, is also comfy....Medium is same size as large but the front tab does not go as far forward and rest on the gas tank.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Well I'm still on a spending freeze from the bike purchase but thank everyone for all the options. Looks like I can get a pad for $50-100, send my seat to be fixed up for $100-250 or buy a new seat for $500+. I will definitely keep this post in my back pocket for when I have some free cash. I'm intrigued by the idea of taking my stock seat and making it better, seems like I would get a seat just about as good as the aftermarket ones but for half the cost or less.
First off let me say that I must be the lucky one, after about two weeks of breaking in my seat it is great. I can easily ride for 4 to 5 hours with no problem. However it does get hot where I live so I opted for the sheep skin cover.

Go to O'reillys and buy a couple of sheep skin wash mitts, take them apart at the seams and ask someone who sews to make a temporary seat cover. Not the prettiest thing in the world but hey your sitting on it so who is gonna see it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts