Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed Commander IIs yesterday with the larger 170/80B15 rear instead of the stock size of 180/70B15. The tires handle great, the bike runs smoother, and the taller tire reduced the final ratio somewhat as expected. All in all, very happy with the tires themselves. However, I was surprised at how the seat feels different. I knew the seat would be a bit higher and I don't mind that. But the slightly different angle (I think) just makes the seat feel different, not a comfortable as it was. I have the Mustang Vintage Touring seat. At this new angle, I'm pressed more into the back rest and it feels like less surface area on the bottom. I rode on it yesterday and again today. I think I'll probably just get use to the new feel of it but again, I was just surprised that this slight difference in the overall height would have that much effect on the way the seat feels. Has anyone else that installed an over sized rear tire have this experience?

Member greyhairhoon, who gets credit from me for suggesting the new tire size, installed a 1" shorter progressive shock as well. Sounds like a great solution as it would lower the seat height and improve the ride but after just springing for the tires I'll probably wait on that, if I do it at all.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Higher (larger circumference) tire coupled with a shorter shock should equal the same seating position in my book ... a couple of rides and you probably wont notice any difference.

I went to a 200 rear and a 1 " lowering kit on my custom .... I do not even think about it any more. My classic runs a 200 rear with the stock suspension and a mustang classic ... its all good.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, rode a while again today. Getting a bit more use to the new height but can't really say I like it. So, options seem to be, 1) install a 1" shorter shock (expensive!), 2) install a lowering kit, 3) install a stock size tire, 4) just get use to it. Right now I'm leaning toward #3. Maybe someone here would be interested in a barely used tire, cheap! :) Guess I'll ponder this over the weekend.

I wasn't really all that unhappy with the stock gearing since I don't usually ride on 70+ mph roads, usually 55 - 65, but I did reach for that 6th gear often which is why the taller tire sounded so good. But the new height... don't think will cut it.

If I stay with the tire, the lowering kit would be the most economical option. But, the progressive shock sounds great, but only if I installed it myself. I'm actually fairly mechanically capable but don't have a jack, or even a decent set of sockets, just some rag tag stuff so it would be a challenge.

BTW... I checked the preload as I understand this will affect the height when seated on the bike but it's only set at 4 now. I'm 200lbs and sometimes my wife rides with me, another 100lbs, so probably don't want to go any lower.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Switched to a 170/80 yesterday and I'm having the same issue. Trying to work out a solution but I'm already lowered 2" and don't know if there's clearance for a 3" drop with the taller tire. Trying to give a week or two to see how I adjust, but if not I'm either trying another inch or going back to the 180.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Switched to a 170/80 yesterday and I'm having the same issue. Trying to work out a solution but I'm already lowered 2" and don't know if there's clearance for a 3" drop with the taller tire. Trying to give a week or two to see how I adjust, but if not I'm either trying another inch or going back to the 180.
How did you lower it 2"? With a lowering kit? Let me know how it goes. Your the first I've heard say they have a similar problem with the seat height.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lowered the tire pressure today from 37 to 34. Made a huge difference in the ride, the control, the general feel of the tires. Really like the lower pressure. Not so bouncy and it just hugs the road when cornering. These commander II tires are great compared to the stock Dunlops. Seat height is still a problem but today was the first time riding I had fun again on the bike. I'm adjusting somewhat to the different feeling in the seat but still don't really like it. Again, it's not the height of the seat overall, it's the feeling like I'm pressed into the back rest area. Think it makes my jeans ride up a bit making it feel like I'm sliding forward, but I'm not.

Anyway, at the lower pressure the bumps are much more subdued. Really would like to try that progressive 465 shock, the 1" shorter version ghh installed but grappling with price and installation issues. Maybe I need to break down and get a jack and a decent set of sockets. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
How did you lower it 2"? With a lowering kit? Let me know how it goes. Your the first I've heard say they have a similar problem with the seat height.

I did use a kit, Baron's if I remember correctly. It's adjustable 1-2" and it's set on 2". There's also a 2-3" kit which is what I'm wishing I had gone with now. I don't think the 2" drop is in reality 2" anyway. My last bike was lowered 2.5" and it was a very noticeable difference just looking at it. On the 9 the 2" drop wasn't nearly as noticeable looking at it.

Gonna try softening the preload a little to see if maybe the seat angle will drop back down any when sitting on the bike.

I'm sure I'll adjust, I rode at stock height for 3 months or so before installing the lowering kit and never had a problem. It's just going from what felt perfect to a little less than perfect is slightly annoying, and aesthetically lower is better for me as well. It's a little taller than I expected but then again my old tire was nearly bald so that in itself made it a bigger change than it would have been going from a 180 that actually had tread left haha.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free Appb

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a little taller than I expected but then again my old tire was nearly bald so that in itself made it a bigger change than it would have been going from a 180 that actually had tread left haha.
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free Appb
I think that's part of it also. The old dunlop was worn down so between being new and taller, it's a bigger change than I expected.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Anyone put a 90/90 Commander II on the front? Will it fit under the stock fender?

I'm thinking about 170/80s for my custom, but like Dave I don't want to change the seat angle. Based on the tire calculators, 170/80s raise the backend .39 inches. And putting 90/90s would add .36 inches up front. Seems like that ought to keep the same seat angle.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I also install 170 on the rear. Rode the bike for a week while I was waiting for my new seat to arrive. Naturally I noticed the increase in height but it did not bother me. Friday my Saddleman Solo arrive.....Heaven! back to the nice low position and much better support. The seat is much firmer on the surface than the stock seat and way more comfortable. I spent 3 (1.5 hours out with a break for an hour while my buddy had his bike service) riding to day and felt great. My new tires - which are dunlops worked perfectly and are finally broken in. I have also lowered the pressure in the rear to 34 from 38 and the ride is very comfy and predictable.

Spinner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts