Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a sweet '04 Classic 1500 and just plain ole wore out my current seat.

Checked out a couple threads about which seats are suitable for taller riders and a lot of you like the Corbin's. I just bought a new Saddlemen Explorer and am sending it back because it set me up higher and closer to the tank. Not good since I'm 6'4".

Corbin's supposedly bring you back and deeper into the bike. Their kinda pricey so I was wondering if the Classic Solo would work with a stock OEM passenger pillion? Has anyone had experience with this or seen one? Would it look funny, need modifications, etc.

Otherwise, if I want the same set up I have now (studded with driver and passenger backrests) I'm shelling out almost a grand! I'm kinda trying to talk myself into this but it's hard to justify the price of a whole new living room set for one bike seat.

Thanks for any and all help. Merry Christmas!

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
I bought the Mustang Wide Touring seat for 400 dollars (9 years ago) and like you, I'm 6-4 and I weigh 270. I also ride an 04 classic. My Mustang lowered me and moved me back some. I have a long body, long arms (37" sleeves) and short legs (32" inseam pants are just fine) The stock seat was terrible for me, too high, too cramped, to small and too painful.I had to put 4" pull back risers on to make the handlebar reach more comfortable. But now I can ride 14 hours a day if I have to.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
I can't say enough about how comfortable the Mustang seat I installed on my '99 classic is. It is studded, I also have the passenger pillion but mostly ride it set up for solo as in the picture. I also added risers w/pull back to increase the comfort. I would only recommend you ride a friend's bike with the type of seat you are considering prior to purchasing, as not every seat fits everyone. If you were completely satisfied with the one you have, why not just replace it?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bandit that's what I did. It was a Saddlemen Explorer, just not worth reupholstering since most shops wanted as much as a new one and mine had cracks in its shell too. So I ordered the same one except they "improved" it by beefing up the mold. Much thicker, probably nice and comfy for average riders, not me. Good idea about riding others.

PatC (Same paint scheme as mine!!) when it comes time to replace your Mustang you may find out the same thing as I came across about them "improving" or changing their seat mold. What's interesting is that both of you say your Mustang's sit you lower and back. If you search other threads on here "seats for tall riders", "best seats for tall riders" you'll see that most claim the opposite. Maybe those were all recent purchases and yours are older models?

I guess I'll call both Mustang and Corbin and ask them directly. Corbin has an outlet right across the state from me near Ormand Beach. Will be a nice day ride/overnight-er to visit them for a custom fit if I go that way.

How did you guys post that large of a pic. I tried attachments and it looked to be a thumbnail so I removed it.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
"Maybe those were all recent purchases and yours are older models? "

You are correct in that mine is an older seat. It is leather covered, as I understand now they are vinyl covered.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
The host website I use for pictures is photobucket. If you are using the same there is a dropdown menu under the picture selected. May sure you are clicking on the "IMG" feature for posting. There is also an "IMG Thumb" selection, you do not want that one.
If you have not resized your pictures, I believe the auto sensor for the forum will reduce them to a useable size.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
If you want pics to appear big, post them to the internet first (facebook, instagram, photobucket, whatever) and then copy the web address and click on the photo icon at the top of the dialog box. Any pic you pull from your computer hard drive will be a thumbnail attachment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts